Published: 2012/12/31

Paul Barrere Takes Leave of Absence From Little Feat

Longtime Little Feat guitarist Paul Barrere will take a leave of absence from his band later this year. He will take time off from the band to receive treatment for Hepatitis C. Barrere became an official member of Little Feat back when the group recorded 1973’s Dixie Chicken release.Back in 1999 and 2000, Barrere toured with Phil Lesh, who also lived with Hepatitis C for many years, in some early incarnations of Lesh’s Phil & Friends group.

As he explains in a statement posted on the band’s website, the guitarist will spend a year off the road in recuperation.

In 1994 I was diagnosed with Hepatitis “C”, a very aggressive virus that attacks the liver, which has affected many of my generation. For the past twenty years I have managed to control the effects of the disease with lifestyle changes and the love and support of my family and friends. During this time I’ve had regular check ups with a team of specialists at UCLA. These doctors have now advised that I should begin a treatment designed to eradicate the virus from my body. The treatment requires that I stay off the road for the next year, in order to give it the best possible chance for a successful result. I will begin the treatment after I get home from Little Feat’s next Feat Fan Excursion in Jamaica in March of 2013.

Music is my life and I still have plenty left in me that I plan on sharing. I am very much looking forward to the next three months of making music with my bandmates in Little Feat. I have a solo project that I have been working on for 7 years that I plan on releasing, now that I will have some time off the road. I also hope to be able to do the occasional gig if the planets line up. So, this isn’t goodbye by any stretch of the imagination. It’s just another crossroad to pass. I intend to get through this in the best way possible and get back to pickin’ and playin’ as soon as I am able.

Most importantly, I want you to know how much I appreciate you all – fans and friends, band and crew. I have been out on the road for more than forty years and I could not do it without all of you. What’s funny though, is that I came in on a chicken, and I am leaving on a rooster…..well, at least til I can get back to the Proud Highway…..

Little Feat will perform tonight at The Hamilton in Washington, DC.

Comments

Randy Shertzer April 12, 2013, 13:54:22

Fightin’ the good fight, Paul…hanging on to the good times!

ray vann December 31, 2012, 12:04:58

Best wishes for a successful recovery and thanks for all the great music!!

HTTR! December 31, 2012, 12:01:10

Paul Barrere is quite possibly the most under-rated guitarist out there. If you’ve never seen him play, you should make it point to get out to Feat show and see for yourself. Get well soon!

Jay December 31, 2012, 15:55:13

Not only is Paul a singularly talented guitar player…he is an exceptionally kind man as well. I speak from experience when I say that Paul, and his Little Feat bandmates are among the nicest people in the music business. Get Well Soon Paul.

Carol December 31, 2012, 18:50:05

As another of the “boomers” who has HCV-gen. 1, I wish you success in your treatment. If you’re using one of the 3-month protease inhibitors, be diligent about the recent black box warning from the FDA. (BTW, although is does have a great remission %, it isn’t by any means a panacea.) I followed the regimen of 3 drugs EXACTLY, but still showed evidence of HCV in the blood at completion. I’m a purist: vegan, organic, no GMOs, and certainly no recreational drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. Take care of yourself: I’m sending healing vibes your way.

ken hatcher January 16, 2013, 18:15:02

I have followed Feats sence about 1976.I never knew Richie Hayward but he was my procussion mentor. I completed a year treatment for hep-c in 2006. It was not an easy thing but I was able to maintain much of my life style and meet my obligations. The thing I wish to share with Mr. Barrare and any others who may elect to take treatment for hep-c is encouragement. After 7 years it is still gone from my body. The docs just scratch their head and grin. Go after this like you do that slide sir and you will be back out there smokin soon.

Ronald February 15, 2013, 13:02:32

Best wishes to Paul. I love the music of Little Feat. I hope Paul will return soon in good condition. He´s a great musician an a friendly man.

Bryant Tela February 20, 2013, 21:26:49

Take care, god bless and enjoy some time to refocus, recoup, and relax, if possible. We will look forward to seeing your feat on the road soon.

Ulrik Elmkvist Eriksen February 22, 2013, 07:50:37

Take care Paul and good luck with the treatment. Thank you for a fine koncert in Train Aarhus 13/2-13.
We hope to see you soon again – maybe Jamaica 2014.
Best wishes Solveig and Ulrik – Denmark.

Bill Haines March 24, 2013, 17:21:08

I have several friends who have gone through the interferon treatments. Not fun, but every one of them came out on the other side clear of disease. You will too!!!

ronald rotsbodem March 26, 2013, 17:21:54

Hey mr Barrere ( hold the accent ), your Feat show in Groningen a month ago was a real treat and here’s hoping on a full recovery. Take care and be hearing you !

Thom April 1, 2013, 09:51:47

Paul- We’ve attended many,many concerts since those great days of the sixties,nobody tighter or more fun than Little Feat.We’re looking forward to many,many more shows! You’ve still got that Rocket in Your Pocket, are most certainly Willin’ so, most undoubtedly; Those Feet Won’t Fail You Now! Get well,Man!

Chris Concannon April 5, 2013, 17:28:15

Paul
Get well soon
I met you in Jamaica in 2013 with your beautiful modest wife and your biggest fan.
I had 3 best friends of mine with me from New York who will never forget the trip.
The 4 shows with Hot Tuna & Larry Campbell and Theresa Williams were Amazing!!!!
It was the first trip to see you and Little Feat in Jamaica and look forward to going back in 2014
One of the best parts of Jamaica was that all the members in both bands were so accessible and friendly to everyone. That was the best part of spending 4 days in Jamaica. Plus the music was incredible and historical.
I hope you get your health back soon and enjoy the down time with your family.
All the Best
Good Luck
Chris C.

John B. April 13, 2013, 09:32:05

Paul
Warmest regards and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Looking forward to the release of you solo project and seeing you, healthy and happy, back on the big stage in the near future. Chin up and chest out man, fight the good fight! John B.

patrick callahan May 27, 2013, 13:32:34

Dear Paul and Family, unfortunately Hep C seems to be creeping in to the lives of our baby boomer generation for one reason or another. I am a carrier and I have been fortunate to be able to continue my active life as as possible. I certainly don’t do many of the old things but I still enjoy great music, a great show on occasion and Paul all your music is great and joyful. I especially loved a song you did called “If your phone don’t ring you’ll know it’s me .” I think the band was the Bluesbusters. Again thanks for everything and get well soon. We are all waiting.