Published: 2013/03/06

Alvin Lee, 1944-2013

Ten Years After guitarist and singer Alvin Lee has has died at the age of 68. A statement posted on his official website today reads:

With great sadness we have to announce that Alvin unexpectedly passed away early this morning after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure.

We have lost a wonderful much loved father and companion, the world has lost a truly great and gifted musician.

Lee was born in Nottingham, England in 1944 and was inspired by early rock guitarists like Chuck Berry and Scotty Moore while he was a kid. He helped found the band Ten Years After in 1966, and the group was catapulted into fame after a stellar performance at the legendary Woodstock festival. Ten Years After broke up in 1974, but Lee continued to play as a solo artist and with a variety of other configurations. His most recent album, Still on the Road to Freedom, was released in 2012.

Comments

me March 6, 2013, 12:45:34

What a bummer… Great guitarist… “I’d Love To Change The World”... one of my favorite tunes of all-time… Rest In Peace Alvin!!!

Eric March 6, 2013, 12:50:39

I used to watch that Woodstock video of Ten Years After over and over..68 is too young so it’s a sad day for music.

Myko March 6, 2013, 13:36:18

“One of These Days” boy! Sad – A Space In Time is a signifcant part of my make-up and history.

Cleeet March 6, 2013, 14:09:17

Going home. One of the highlights of the Woodstock movie. RIP Alvin.

David Brekke. March 6, 2013, 14:16:46

Anyone brave enough to take on Woodchopper’s Ball and make it his own is a true master. Alvin Lee – one of the true guitar masters is gone, but never forgotten. RIP Alvin.

Scott March 6, 2013, 16:48:41

There was a summer when Alvin Lee and Ten Years After’s ‘Space In Time’, Steve Miller’s ‘The Joker’, and The Doobie Brother’s ‘The Captain & Me’ kick started my independence. While missed, he will be remembered. As Harrison said, “All things must pass…”.

Alex Rubin March 6, 2013, 17:50:02

One of the best players of the guitar god era. He never received the acclaim of a Jimmy Page or a Jeff Beck but the insiders knew Alvin was the real deal. His explosive, blistering style was unparalleled. A true boogie messiah. RIP.

Hobbit March 6, 2013, 20:50:23

Damn. Another legend leaves the planet. I just bought Ten Years After Live at the Fillmore last month and I continuously marvel at Alvin’s chops and his ‘firing on all cylinders’ bands. I was fortunate to have seen him live back in the late 80’s and he kicked ass as always.
Rest in Peace, Brother. Thanks for everything.

Robert C Reynolds March 6, 2013, 22:18:07

Our tribute to Alvin Lee— “I’d Love to Change the World” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVSMAjp7Bs

Deadman March 7, 2013, 10:55:22

RIP. One of the most under rated guitarists of all time. I listened to ‘Help Me” from the Fillmore East CD last night. AMAZING!!!!!

Joe March 9, 2013, 19:02:19

my favorite at woodstock.,we will miss talented people like Alvin Lee.,great guitar player,and i still try to play like he did at woodstock,without success.,i just cant do it.,we are losing all the good guys too soon.,GOD be with you Alvin.,we love you., Joe.

david j. April 12, 2013, 05:21:48

I grew up on beatles,cream chuck berry elvis,mountain canned heat etc but i wouldnt trade alvins music for all of them pit together. John lennon still was leader of beatles too so.there. keep on rocking!