Published: 2013/03/25

The Black Crowes Return

The Black Crowes kicked off their reunion tour last night at Manchester, England’s Manchester Academy. It was the group’s first live performance since the summer of 2011. The show introduced the Crowes’ new lineup, which includes frontman Chris Robinson, guitarist Rich Robinson, drummer Steve Gorman, bassist Sven Pipien, keyboardist Adam MacDougall and new guitarist Jackie Greene.

Last night’s show featured a mix of originals recorded throughout the band’s 20-plus year career as well as a range of covers. However, the band focused a little more heavily on their early period than during their final pre-hiatus shows. In addition, The Black Crowes introduced new covers of Traffic’s “Medicated Goo” and Joe South’s “Hush” (the latter song is best known for Deep Purple’s cover of the tune). Greene also showed off his musical prowess by switching to mandolin at several points during the show and providing backup vocals. The show came to a close with a choice cover of Little Feat’s “Willin’.”

The Black Crowes will perform at Birmingham, England’s 02 Academy this evening.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via The Black Crowes’ Facebook page

Hard To Handle
Hush*
Willin’

*first time played

Comments

Robbie March 25, 2013, 10:57:13

What a set list. Happy the Crowes are back!

Chucky cheese string March 25, 2013, 11:00:07

Agreed Robbie! Looks good right out of the gate!

Yossarian March 25, 2013, 11:03:17

Stoked just to be seeing new Crowes set lists! Looks good to me- too early to nitpick.

D. Sahm March 25, 2013, 11:27:24

I’ll be “that guy” and complain that this setlist is too greatest hits-y for my liking. Hope they’re just easing Jackie in and will be mixing it up better as the tour goes on.

Kip March 25, 2013, 11:50:48

Sahmmy, you gotta point about easing in Jackie, but it is the UK and they are probably more than happy to hear the hits seeing they probably haven’t played there as much as their fans would want. I’m sure when they hit the states it will be full bore ahead.

bryontreece March 25, 2013, 11:58:32

Getting psyched for Terminal 5 (although I really don’t like that venue). I love the placement of Descending as the 1st encore.

Andy March 25, 2013, 13:29:42

Really looking forward to the late night jazzfest gig!

Tim Lucier March 25, 2013, 13:32:38

Jackie a guitarist? More of a singer!! Playin with Phil now a rhythm guitarist!!

professor March 25, 2013, 17:20:34

Does anybody know the story with the song hush? Not the old Hendrix tune?

JLR March 26, 2013, 06:55:04

I will second what D. Sahm said. I think that the Crowes last two studio albums were great, and I’d be happy to hear nothing from their first one. But I’ll see them in Amsterdam in June and hope to see more diversity by then.

Hugh March 26, 2013, 08:04:41

Saw the Crowes in Manchester on Sunday night. Awesome – effortless loud soulfull – fantastic show. Place was packed tight and jumping. Saw Rich playing in York (England) a few months earlier on his solo tour, to a crowd of about 30 people in a small club – The Crowes should be huge – spread the word

Len March 26, 2013, 08:54:58

Hey professor – Hush, by Deep Purple.

D. Sahm March 26, 2013, 09:15:54

Actually, Hush is a Joe South song covered by Deep Purple. Kula Shaker did a fantastic version in the ’90s as well. I’m surprised it took the Crowes this long to cover Joe South in concert. Would love to hear their take on Games People Play.

crbfan March 28, 2013, 13:27:50

Excited for the Ryman Acoustic show, wondering who the ‘special guests’ are Will feel great to see the Crowes, but can’t wait for CRB to return with new album and shows in 2014!!!