Published: 2013/04/08

Hands on a Hardbody To Close This Saturday

Trey Anastasio’s Broadway musical Hands on a Hardbody will close after this Saturday evening’s performance, according to The New York Times. After this weekend’s shows, the musical will have played 28 previews and 28 regular performances.

The play suffered from sluggish ticket sales and mixed reviews but will likely tour nationally. According to the Times, the “musical grossed only $240,040 for eight performances last week, or about 22 percent of the maximum possible amount—almost certainly not enough to cover its weekly running costs.” The play’s producers recently appealed to Phish fans by offering special discounted tickets.

Tickets for Hands on a Hardbody range from $55 – $155, and are available at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre box office and at Ticketmaster.com.

Comments

shinymetalass April 9, 2013, 07:24:35

wow not a surprise

Eric April 9, 2013, 07:57:42

It is VERY difficult to have a long running production on broadway.

telajewel April 9, 2013, 08:40:47

I hope this doesn’t discourage Trey from pursuing other Broadway ventures. “Hardbody” was no Book of Mormon but I still think Trey should try his hand in Broadway again.

me April 9, 2013, 08:51:35

I can’t imagine this affects Trey much at all… I’d have to guess that the music has little to do with the success of the play (certainly it plays a role) when compared to the actors and the story line… No one was going, so it would seem that the lack of sales was more about the story line… and while I’m no judge of plays, personally I thought the idea of a story about a contest of keeping your hand on a truck to win it was pretty lame… especially if you consider the typical attendee of a Broadway play…

Jackie April 9, 2013, 08:55:40

I think its time: Gamehendge on Broadway. The part of Wilson will be played by James Gandolfini.

Shea April 9, 2013, 09:01:50

WOW ! Jackie, I think you may be on to something. I would totally go see a Gamehendge play !

Daren Criswell April 9, 2013, 09:47:47

What part would big pussy play?

Jackie April 9, 2013, 09:56:04

Big Pussy would play who else, The Sloth. The hitman who was hired to whack out Wilson.

Dave April 9, 2013, 17:29:05

GENIUS!!!
If Wilson is James Galdolfini… Teela: Anne Hathaway
Palmer: James Franco
Col. Forbin: Harrison Ford
I think Louis CK could be The Sloth.
McGrupp: Patrick Stewart
Icculus: Morgan Freeman, of course!

Jerry Rush April 9, 2013, 22:54:05

@shinymatalass…I don’t understand your comment. Just wondering why you weren’t surprised, do you have a crystal ball?

Kyle April 10, 2013, 12:45:58

Not Surprised Haters Be hating and I love how Its Trey’s Musical. There were 2 VERY established play writes on this play. To get to Bway in your first Effort is extrremly difficult just ask the thousands of Play writes doing plays in Akron Ohio for the pas 20 years. I woulda loved to see it I think maybe making the entire play based aroubd the truck may have been a mistake. I love Plays and Musicals and just happy one of my musical heros stretched his wings a lil more and made it to the Bright Spot Light of B’way