Published: 2013/04/19

STS9 and Umphrey’s McGee Announce First of Many Joint Shows

STS9 and Umphrey’s McGee will co-headline a show at the Filene Center at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts in Virginia on Sunday, Setpember 1. According to STS9’s Twitter, the show is “the first announcement of many.” Tickets to the event will go on sale to the general public for $35-40 on Saturday, May 4 at 10am ET. Pre-sale tickets will be available to members Wolf Trap members (they will need to signed up by April 25 to take advantage of the offer).

STS9 and Umphrey’s McGee have been friends for a while. As previously reported, the two bands will join the Disco Biscuits in Puerto Morelos, Mexico for the seventh annual Mayan Holidaze. STS9 and Umphrey’s McGee also co-headlined a summer tour back in 2008.

Comments

UmphTribe April 19, 2013, 12:36:13

Yo bro, Stasik has improved greatly since the bands birth. Murph is a freak, the whole band is pretty much run by him. If you don’t have positive ish to say, don’t consider yourself an umph fan

mattspliff April 19, 2013, 12:36:43

Dave couldn’t hold Ryan Stasiks mustache comb give me a damn break! UM>STS9 all day every day

RebelINS00 April 19, 2013, 12:37:59

Umph has got to be one of the most trashed bands on this website. All this bitter stuff and most, if not all, comes from people who seem to claim they are close to the band in some way or at least familiar enough with them to discuss intimate parts of their organization… If you people commenting are in fact that close to the band than you should shut your f’ing mouth. No better way to support them than trash them huh? They are still a headlining act, they are still a premier late night act and contrary to what many suggest I find it hard to believe their fan base is dwindling at the rate suggested by people in other articles’ comment section. And bass lessons from Dave? Murph set down his bass and started pressing buttons a long time ago

Jaded Fan April 19, 2013, 12:48:53

This is proving ground that UM has gone the wrong direction, they’ve joined Lotus, Tribe, and countless other electro “jam” bands that sound the same as one another. I must say I’m extremely disappointed in UM these past 2 years. Somewhere around my 20th show I realized this, and they just haven’t done it for me since. And Stasik reeks of hipster.

timmy April 19, 2013, 12:50:23

Took me awhile to get into both of these bands. I’m really glad that I did. I don’t really care for all of the gimmicky tech based stuff that UM seems to love to do offstage, but but that certainly doesn’t take away from their onstage performances which consistanly deliver. Both of these bands are brilliant at what they do, and both seem to be peaking in their careers. @cemetary walker: you don’t know shit about UM. Stasik is just fine. Even with all the jealous trolls hating on him.

Cemetary walker April 19, 2013, 12:56:40

UM is sprinting backwards from mid tier to a low tier jamband. Their only good marerial is over 10 years old. Nobody actually thinks stasik is on david murphys level who hasnt lost it. “Ryan is getting much better”. I heard that at shows in 99 so Im hapoy 14 years later hes still working on inching out Andy in the skill area.

cametary walker April 19, 2013, 12:59:27

Well Stasik is jist fine. I know him and his wife who is from TN so you are right. Ahahaha

MarZaPhiGar April 19, 2013, 13:01:09

STS9 needs to step up their game. Carib Holidaze? Pfft. Considering they were all about the Mayan shit for all those years they totally dropped the ball. Setlists have been stagnant for 2 years running.

cametary walker April 19, 2013, 13:04:41

Yes people that work for the band are chatty as are their friends. They are just honest about where things are. A headlining act only at fests they set up. Other than that they need lots of help. Why do u think Vince manages YMSB now? Ask Jeff Waful how its going.

HUH April 19, 2013, 13:26:13

What is wrong with you people? Shut up and enjoy the music, or go to a different concert.

Umphuckyou April 19, 2013, 13:38:20

Um, fuck you! -to everyone who says anything slightly derogatory about Umphrey’s McGee. They are clearly the most talented and devoted band in the world currently. Not to mention how diverse, motivated, and just plain chill they are. There will always be haters so haters hate. Just know Umphrey’s has the strongest fan base out of any because we are family not just mutual fans. \mm/ Now will somebody bust out the booty wax?! Cause it’s FRIDAY NIGHT!

blakefromwv April 19, 2013, 13:57:36

I don’t get the negativity by some people. It’s embarrassing. We are talking about 2 of the most uplifting bands on the planet with talent and great fans ad infitum. I am so happy to be a part of these times and this movement. Peace to all.

HUH April 19, 2013, 14:04:32

What Blake said. Relax fuckos! Both bands are great. I can’t even fathom what drives you to trun this into an argument, or any kind of negative thing. This is great.

umph love April 19, 2013, 14:21:12

are all you people crazy, how does umph sound anything like sts9 or lotus, their sound is unique and they melt faces. Also not hating on sts9 they are the shit too. If you don’t like them enjoy listening to taylor swift and bruno mars assholes.

UMPH RCK April 19, 2013, 14:43:29

Please go troll elsewhere. Both bands are amazing and have no use for negativity from detractors that clearly do not know what they are talking about.

Room to Pianoir April 19, 2013, 15:58:48

Huh, in a conversation involving STS9 it’s Umphrey’s that gets accused of going downhill, that’s a weird one right there.. Every show of Umph’s I go to just gets bigger and bigger, go to a show in the south, they’re nuts down there. They’ve come out with badass new songs, unless you preferred the whiny divorce period of 4-5 years ago. A little bombastic, but what hasn’t gotten more bombastic in the last 5 years. At least they didn’t do what STS9 did, take the beautiful music they used to make and completely change and corrupt it into pseudo dubstep.

DustyGarbageMan April 19, 2013, 16:10:25

Umphrey’s Sucks, tell your friends.

steve April 19, 2013, 16:39:32

sounds like a bunch of bitches just got their .

Mtnboogie April 19, 2013, 18:29:04

Feelin’ the love jam fans…..why do people bash each other on this site….bummer.

NaturesFinest April 20, 2013, 03:52:53

Tribe has improved their setlists. A friend told me someone confronted a member of tribe about it … Could be rumors tho. But I have been tracking their shit and recently went to a show in Madison. They played a king pharaohs , and a kaya . Other than that,I never really got into UM ,and they are adomired by a lot of good peoples. Mad respect to both bands and I hope they have good chemistry.

ATLiens9er April 20, 2013, 10:13:35

Similar to Bisco, I’d enjoy UM more if they didn’t sing. Sector 9>UM all day er day. Should be a fun show though, got a lot of nova friends that are pumped at this announcement.

Don't listen to trolls April 20, 2013, 10:31:17

Ah, the exciting life of a troll. Cemetery Walker – what a cool guy! And even named after an Umphrey’s song. Hanging out on message boards and leaving comments on jambands.com trying to rub people the wrong way. Sure seems to know a whole lot about Umphrey’s. What a joke. People – don’t listen to trolls. They have no lives of their own. Hey Cemetery Walker, when it comes to trolling, you’re the champ.

Togo April 20, 2013, 10:50:32

There must be something wrong with me. when I don’t like a band i just don’t listen to them. Commenting about how much I hate a band just doesn’t add anything to my day.
I think both bands are solid, but not in my top ten. But still sounds like a good bill to me.

Cemetary walker April 19, 2013, 12:21:48

Is UM playing mashup covers on the side stage while people watch sts9 on a mian stage or would that interfere with Ryans bass lessons from Dave? 2014 post mayan holidaze hiatus! Cant wait to see these side projects. Joel is working on getting a piano trio going to play at local piano bars to deepen his musocal accumen. Ryan is being urged by many to get some lessons in a session setting according to a band members wife.