Published: 2013/04/24

Glen Campbell Ends Touring Career

Glen Campbell is ending his touring career because his Alzheimer’s disease has progressed too far for him to continue. Despite the unfortunate setback, the legendary country music singer has also announced that he will release a new album, entitled See You There, on July 30. The record will feature re-imaginings of some of his iconic songs like “Rhinestone Cowboy,” “Witchita Lineman,” and “Hey Little One.” See You There was recorded in 2011 during the same studio sessions that led to his last release, Ghost on the Canvas.

While Campbell’s Alzheimer’s has progressed too far for him to continue touring, the musician still remains healthy. He continues to play golf and still hangs out with many of his friends, including songwriter Jimmy Webb. Campbell will spend his 77th birthday this Monday in Washington, DC advocating for Alzheimer’s research.

Comments

Lee April 24, 2013, 16:15:10

Sorry to learn of Mr Campbell’s health issues…..but I thought this was jambands.com, perhaps I am missing the connection.

me April 24, 2013, 16:49:37

Yes, this is Jambands… not Whinyfans… but, like the site will post anything that is deemed musically acceptable, so to will fans whine about anything they deem acceptable… regardless, Alzheimer’s is one of the worst possible ways out of this world, I wish Glen and his family the best in what will surely be very trying time between now and the day he leaves us…

Rags April 24, 2013, 16:26:17

Yes, you are missing the connection. He is a human being.

Doug R. April 24, 2013, 16:36:14

@Rags,right on. Glenn will be sadly missed,but it’s for the best & he’s SUCH a nice man.

Patrick April 24, 2013, 20:51:54

Hey guys thanks for being graceful, but I won’t. God Bless you Glen, rest in peace! BUT FUCK YOU LEE

kerny April 24, 2013, 21:52:09

never a big fan of his music, but that’s terrible to hear. alzheimers is a terrible disease.

T April 24, 2013, 23:01:16

Lost my grandfather to alzheimer’s and currently losing my father to something similar…. Tough to watch. I wish the very best for Mr. Campbell, his friends and his family

DJ Damage April 25, 2013, 02:46:55

Lee, You stinky phishy phuck phace. Go beg for a miracle ticket and choke on a grilled cheese sandwich you ignorant piece of shit. Check out the Wrecking Crew you moron, the original “Jam” band. It’s idiots like you that give “jam” bands a bad name. Crawl back into your hole and tell your mom I said hi on your way to the basement. IDJIT!

Jackie April 25, 2013, 07:52:07

My Dad has this horrible disease, and it truly sucks. My prayers go out to Glenn, a true american icon. Yes people, right up there with Mr Jerry Garcia.

Reiterate April 25, 2013, 09:33:53

I just wanted to reiterate the comment above on the book about The Wrecking Crew – excellent book with lots of insight into the industry/LA scene back when everything started going. Glenn and Leon Russell are probably the two “biggest” names but there are many more musicians that should be better known for their huge and lasting impact on music. Great book to hunt down at your local library.

Clive Bigsby April 25, 2013, 10:07:06

I have never been into his music, but this is still sad news. I can’t imagine doing what I love, and then having to throw in the towel because of something as rough as Alzheimer’s disease.

dk70 April 25, 2013, 10:16:30

Whoever says Glenn couldn’t jam is a dipshit. The Wrecking Crew was the cream of the crop of session aces. Check out his sololing on the John Hartford classic, “Gentle on My Mind”.

jazzfester April 25, 2013, 10:59:54

I hope Mr. Campbell is just riding out on the range in a star-spangled rodeo in his mind. I wore out that 45—and I still have it…and I agree with everything said about Lee. Without masters like Glen Campbell who could cross styles of music adding seminal parts to hundreds of songs without credit on many albums, who knows where music would be. Safe travels, Mr. Campbell.

Jesse April 25, 2013, 12:55:53

Glen is a class act all the way.

Befuddled April 25, 2013, 18:52:22

To “me” (what a highly original handle), DJ Damage (Stay classy, DJ, and grow up while you’re at it) and all the other MENSA members who missed Lee’s point: the site has strayed way off its original mission of focusing on “jam” music. And while Glen and the Wrecking Crew could indeed “jam,” Lee thinks its a misnomer they are covered on a Jam site. Would you expect to see this news on a jazz or classical music site (his tragic situation notwithstanding)? No, so get off the guy’s chiz.

me April 26, 2013, 11:44:44

@Befuddled… Sorry I didn’t measure up to your high standards of usernames, I’m not really worried about impressing people with the catchy little name… and “Befuddled” really, that is the best you could do… what, was Asshat already taken? As for the rest of your comment, unless you are the owner of this web page, you are nothing but a whining little bitch… “boo hoo, I go jambands and dey mention a musician who didn’t melt my face…” you sir, are the muscle in the butt hole… try relaxing!

Befuddled April 26, 2013, 20:27:20

@me….That was actually pretty damned funny. I am nothing if not a good judge of humor, and that was funny. +1 for sure. Now, if you only took yourself a bit less seriously, methinks we could enjoy a beer or 3 together….