Published: 2013/04/30

Trey Anastasio Receives Tony Nominations

Phish’s Trey Anastasio has been nominated for two 2013 Tony Awards. The 67th annual Broadway theater awards ceremony will take place on June 9.

Along with his Hands on a Hardbody co-composer Amanda Green, he is in the running for Best Original Score (Music And/Or Lyrics) Written For The Theatre. Two of the shows’ actors are also in contention: Keith Carradine is up for Best Performance By An Actor In A Featured Role In A Musical and Keala Settle nominated for Best Performance By An Actress In A Featured Role In A Musical. Hands on a Hardbody closed earlier this month.

As reported early today, Phish have also officially released their June 20, 1995 performance at Blossom Music Center.

Comments

Jackie April 30, 2013, 09:53:39

What a bizzare industry, your project fails yet you get nominated for awards, . I know if I failed at a huge project at my job I’d get shown the door. That’s art I guess, congrats to Trey.

adks12020 April 30, 2013, 10:29:52

@Jackie: A valid point and I agree. It is pretty odd but think about how many movies receive critical acclaim and awards that basically flop at the box office. It’s the same thing. Congrats Trey.

Melissa April 30, 2013, 10:46:43

Industry award nominations are given to what is considered GOOD by the industry voters, not what is successful. Unfortunately, the two are not always the same. Congrats, Trey!!

Jackie April 30, 2013, 10:54:47

Good points akds and Melissa, it’s actually pretty cool that sometimes success is not always based on how much $$ is generated.

Chad April 30, 2013, 12:58:35

I am excited to hear the album when it comes out. Congrats, Trey

Matty April 30, 2013, 13:27:32

What matters here is that Big Red got recognized for the one element of the show he had control over! Just as a Director of Photography has no control over the scrip, nor does a musical director over the production and execution of the concept. GO TREY!

jen April 30, 2013, 13:48:06

It is called a SLEEPER and it was fabulous. Trey…see you in D.C.!!!

Jihn April 30, 2013, 14:18:38

Oh man, I hope he wins the prize! Anyone know what it is? Hey! I hope he plays the play at the next show too.

Jay April 30, 2013, 14:35:09

The show was not cancelled because of the music that Trey and Amanda wrote for the show. What is important here is that the music is being recognized and it is good enough for an award all by itself aside from the show. On top of that the show was great. It’s a very competitive industry and it just didn’t last on Broadway. GREAT JOB TREY.

jihn May 1, 2013, 09:37:37

what does he get if he wins the prize?