Bob Weir, Mickey Hart Band and Members of ALO Featured on Rex Benefit Album
The Rex Foundation has released A Buck Dancer’s Choice, a
19-song live compilation culled from a December 1, 2012 benefit performance at San Francisco, CA’s The Fillmore. The released features a mix of material from the show’s three different segments: an opening set featuring members of ALO, a Bob Weir solo acoustic interlude and an electric performance by the Mickey Hart Band with Widespread Panic’s Dave Schools on bass. A Buck Dancer’s Choice is available now via download at nugs.net and iTunes, and on CD only available at nugs.net.
As the Rex Foundation explains:
On December 1, 2012 at The Fillmore in San Francisco, Grateful Dead members Bob Weir and Mickey Hart, as well as members of ALO performed at the Rex Foundation’s benefit concert A Buck Dancer’s Choice, held in honor of Jon McIntire, former manager of the Grateful Dead and New Riders of the Purple Sage, and longstanding member of the Rex Board of Directors. This compilation’s first 3 tracks showcase the evening’s opening set with ALO members Lebo, Steve Adams and Dave Brogan with Lesley Grant doing three original pieces, then joined by Bob Weir on tracks 4 and 5 for outstanding renditions of “Me And My Uncle” and an acoustic “Dark Star.” Bob Weir’s solo acoustic 2nd set features songs “Loose Lucy” and “Playin’ In The Band” among others. The Mickey Hart Band with Mickey Hart, Dave Schools, Crystal Monee Hall, Joe Bagale, Ben Yonas, Sikiru Adepoju, Inx Herman, and Gawain Matthews topped out the evening with their third set, including such favorites as “Samson and Delilah” and “Franklin’s Tower,” and Bob Weir joined the band for “China Cat Sunflower” and “I Know You Rider.” With this compilation of tracks from each set, the evening’s unique musical experience is now available to those who could not attend the concert, while also extending the reach of the benefit so as to provide additional charitable support to the Rex Foundation.
A Buck Dancer’s Choice Track List follows:
Opening Set features ALO members Lebo, Steve Adams and Dave Brogan with Lesley Grant, joined by Bob Weir for Tracks 4 and 5, followed by Set 2 of Bob Weir Solo Acoustic for Tracks 6-9, and on Tracks 10-11, the first two songs of the 3rd Set featuring the Mickey Hart Band, with Mickey Hart, Dave Schools, Crystal Monee Hall, Joe Bagale, Ben Yonas, Sikiru Adepoju, Inx Herman, and Gawain Matthews.
1. Listen To The River 6:38 (Dan Lebowitz)
2. Easy 4:37 (David Brogan)
3. Falling Dominoes 5:24 (Steve Adams, David Brogan, Zach Gill, Dan Lebowitz)
4. Me And My Uncle 5:24 (John Phillips)
5. Dark Star 9:25 (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Ron McKernan, Mickey Hart)
6. Loose Lucy 8:25 (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia)
7. Playin’ In The Band 8:20 (Robert Hunter, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart)
8. Peggy-O (Traditional, Arranged by the Grateful Dead)
9. Black Throated Wind 8:02 (Bob Weir, John Perry Barlow)
10. Samson and Delilah 7:16 (Traditional, Arranged by Bob Weir) 11. Cut The Deck 9:25 (Robert Hunter, Mickey Hart, Cliff Goldmacher, Ben Yonas)
Mickey Hart Band, with Bob Weir joining in on Tracks 1 and 2.
1. China Cat Sunflower 8:03 (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia)
2. I Know You Rider 12:21 (Traditional, Arranged by the Grateful Dead)
3. Heartbeat Of The Sun 18:21 (Mickey Hart, Ben Yonas, Crystal Monee Hall, Sikiru Adepoju, Giovanni Hidalgo, Zakir Hussain)
4. Jersey Shore 6:03 (Mickey Hart, Andre Pesis, Dave Schools, Ben Yonas)
5.Franklin’s Tower 9:10 (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia, Bill Kreutzmann)
6. Time Never Ends 8:31 (Mickey Hart, Ben Yonas, Crystal Monee Hal, Tim Hockenberry)
7. Not Fade Away 7:53 (Charles Hardin & Norman Petty)
8. band intros 1:15
9. Brokedown Palace 7:41 (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia)