Published: 2013/05/03

DSO Bassist Kevin Rosen Announces His Departure From the Band

Dark Star Orchestra’s founding member Kevin Rosen will be leaving the band. The bassist is the longest running member of the band, having performed at over 2000 of their live shows since forming the group at Martyr’s in Chicago in November of 1997. Rosen has cited his aging mother’s health issues and a need for an extended break as the reasons for his departure. He will perform at the 2nd Dark Star Jubilee Festival before ending his tenure with the band at their June 1 tour closer at Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom in Hampton, NH.

A message from Rosen to his fans reads:

Dear friends,

After all my years of touring with Dark Star Orchestra, I find myself in need of an extended break from life on the road. In addition, my mother’s declining health makes it even more important to be home at this time.

For the first five shows of our May tour, our good friend, Skip Vengelas will be filling the bass role. I will be returning for the rest of the tour, culminating with my last performance at the Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom on June 1. Please know that I am leaving with a heavy heart.

I would like to thank all of the fans for your support throughout the years. I would also like to express my gratitude to all the members of the DSO family. Over the years, you have become my family. It has been one of the great pleasures of my life to be a part of DSO and I know that I am going to miss it. I will surely miss my band mates, all of my friends in the audience and the many great people I have met along the way.

Rest assured that the train will keep on rolling and the bass position will be in capable hands for years to come.

May all of your days be good ones!

Peace –

Kevin Rosen

A number of bassists will fill in for Rosen, with Skip Vangelas taking up the position May 9-14. Starting June 28, Jim Allard will begin holding down the low end through the rest of the summer tour.

Comments

GDead May 3, 2013, 14:28:43

Thanks for all the great memories Kevin

Grateful May 3, 2013, 14:44:05

This man has played some wonderful bass over the years. Enjoy your break Kevin, best wishes to your mother. Hope to see you out on tour again later on down the road

For many of us younger fans dso was our first dead experience I thank you for all the amazing music you made and wish you and your family health and happiness

Chase May 3, 2013, 16:03:21

But who will rock the old school high tops and the rad socks

nora dowling May 3, 2013, 20:39:29

HI KEVIN , ..aLTHOUGH IM SORRY TO SEE YOU GO , ABOVE ALL FAMILY IS MOST IMPORTANT .BEST OF WISHES TO YOU AND YOUR MOM ..

charlie May 5, 2013, 13:38:31

My wife and I were just reminiscing about our drives from Des Moines to IA City to see you and Uncle John’s Band play Gabe’s. After that were many great memories of all the DSO shows we’ve attended. Thanks for everything, and best wishes to you and your entire family!

Jed Hamrick May 6, 2013, 03:40:07

Their is a wonderful bass player from Lexington Kentucky that plays in the Very Garcia Band with DSO drummer Dino English. He will be playing at the Jubille. His name is Roddy Pucket and is a really bad ass bass player. If you go to that festival check him out.

Sissy May 9, 2013, 06:12:29

Kevin we will miss you and your smile. Best of luck to you and your mom ….thanks for all the memorable shows!

Jim August 27, 2013, 21:11:10

Kevin will be playing some shows with Paradise Waits (Chicago Grateful Dead tribute) 8/30 Teddy O’Brian’s (Highwood IL)
9/14 Danny’s Pub (Naperville IL)
9/20 Warren’s Alehouse (Warrenville IL)
9/27 Mackey’s Hideout (McHenry IL) www.facebook.com/ParadiseWaits