Published: 2013/05/13

Umphrey’s McGee to Open for Widespread Panic in Charleston

Widespread Panic will headline a two-night run at Charleston, SC’s Family Circle Stadium on October 4 and 5. Umphrey’s McGee will open both nights. Panic have not performed in the Charleston area since they appeared at North Charleston Coliseum in 2010. Umphrey’s McGee keyboardist Joel Cummins sat in with Widespread Panic last time his group opened for the veteran jamband. These dates will be part of Panic’s fall tour.

Comments

tellsemlikeismellsem!!!!!! May 13, 2013, 16:35:56

should be the other way around….

what?? May 13, 2013, 16:49:13

hahaha yea right panic is way above umphs man

ray vann May 13, 2013, 20:31:03

I thought that was very funny, but I’m not quite sure why WP should be opening for UM. It is funny in a contrarian way. I needed a laugh today thanks

Gusto May 13, 2013, 22:18:59

They should each headline one day, simple as that, they both could rage it

KB May 13, 2013, 22:25:45

Come on man, WP opening for anyone? Do some reading about Superfly. They credit WP for being the driving force behind Bonnaroo taking off and becoming the cutting edge trend setting premier American music festival (no disrespect to Jazzfest, because, in my book, they are the end all be all). They have more sellout shows at Red Rocks than any other band (and 2nd place is a DISTANT 2nd). Maybe you don’t love WP, but you can’t knock their ability to draw a crowd, especially in the south.

Wake up May 14, 2013, 00:31:48

Umphreys plays New Years at the Tabernacle and has actually never played an official arena by ticket sales are way down. Panic plays Phillips arena and SOLD out multi night runs at red rocks. Umphreys plays there with six ither acts to 4500 people then the Ogden. With Ryan’s move to SC, Vince is hoping to tap into a new market as Chicago pretty much saw them almost drop back to bar level without another act. Jake and Brendan have come full circle to special shows at the Cubby Bear. They are lucky Panic is allowing them to open. Umphteys has had a lost decade almost. The last how many albums have been horrible. How many Nothing to Fancies or triple wides can make up for wappy spraybarry or the horror of them playing more new covers than originals. Don’t be surprised to see band member changes and a shake up in the whole Umphreys organization as Vince splits time on Yonder. Oh yeah just guessing…...a hiatus is about one year out as the guys have kids and try to fend financially for themselves.

Bob Weaver May 14, 2013, 09:45:21

^ The person above is a trip and eat up with bitterness. Sounds like an ex wife or disgruntled family member of Umphreys. A band with a decent national following opening for an iconic band sounds pretty good to most people.

Tellsemlikeismellsem!!! May 14, 2013, 12:00:07

Umph are way better musicians. And KB, pretty sure widespread opened for the allman bros a couple weeks ago at Suwannee. That’s because the allman bros are the shiznit and derick trucks will run circles around anyone in the southern rock game on lead guitar…. Even jimmy herring. Get over it. Panic is for toothless pressie eating southerners that are too ignorant to figure out who the allman bros are. JB sounds like a dying squirrel and their jams can hardly be called jams 90% of the time. Driving force behind Bonnarroo?!! Pretty sure Bonnarroo was modeled after huge festivals from way back in the day and Phish festivals later in the 90’s. Bonnarroo counts on artists like Kanye for a draw…....widespread simply provides diversity in the kind of wooks that attend. After all, you think Dave Mathews fans would know where to get party favors at Bonnarroo if bands like widespread panic and their carny folk following didn’t show up?

Andrew May 14, 2013, 18:09:37

Why does everyone always try to compare bands? Both of these bands put on incredible shows and I would personally be blown away to see both bands play on the same night

Andrew May 14, 2013, 18:10:28

Andrew May 14, 2013, 18:18:25

Plus Umphreys is probably the best show you can see right now other than Phish

KB May 14, 2013, 21:27:26

To clarify…I wasn’t comparing them…I was trying to justify WP as a headliner. I agree, the ABB are the shiznit and they changed my life forever. They were the first band that blew me away and made me float three feet off the ground on the way out of the show. stone cold sober I’ve never been one to knock on bands; I like ‘em all. I never understood the notion that if you liked Phish you can’t like Panic or whatever. Good music is good music. Wake Up: I was simply restating what the guys from Superfly said in different interviews that I read. I know all about the European festivals that it was modeled on. They simply said that if not for Widespread and their rabid following when Mike was alive, Bonnaroo wouldn’t be what it is. Sure, Panic played before the Allman Brothers at their own festival…but three years ago when they played a mini-tour they alternated headlining slots…

JL May 16, 2013, 12:42:58

Wsp opened for allmans at wanee cause wanee is the allmans festival. They respect the ABB. Umph just played music farm in charleston. Capacity #1000 maybe. Panic stopped playing there in early 90’s

jj May 16, 2013, 23:39:11

Sucks I gotta pay 55 $ a night for umphreys tickets but so be it

norman July 22, 2013, 11:49:39

Ya Andrew is right. Besides Phish there’s no better band on the jam scene right now than Umph.

Lucielle September 26, 2013, 08:27:54

So we all agree here that l Phish is the best band on the planet