Published: 2013/05/22

Duane Allman’s Coricidin Bottle Slide Returns Back to Allman Family After 40 Years

Early this May, Devon Allman, son of Gregg and nephew of guitarist Duane Allman, was given a rare coricidin glass bottle slide that once belonged to his late uncle. Devon is a musician in his own right and currently plays guitar in his band the Royal Southern Brotherhood. He was given the slide after a performance at the Live After 5 Festival in Greenwood, SC by Mr. Bentz Kirby, who had received it from a friend who’d been holding on to it for over 35 years. He had kept the slide with the hope of someday reuniting it with the Allman family, and through Facebook was finally able to make it happen.

The slide was stolen off of Duane Allman’s amplifier during a show in Statesboro, GA on January 7, 1971. Duane’s signature sound was inextricably connected to the coricidin bottle that, in part, helped earn him the nickname, “Sky Dog.” According to EJ Devokaitis, The Allman Brothers Band Big House Museum curator, there are most likely less than 25 coricidin slides out there and only three on display. The coricidin bottles made before 1972 were rare in that there were no seams and each had it’s own particular sound, so Duane would try them out one by one to until he was satisfied. Those after 1972 included child proof safety caps and different materials in the glass production, making them more difficult to use and the sound completely different. Needless to say, Devon is honored to be in possession of a family heirloom, thought lost for over 40 years.

Comments

burning_beard May 22, 2013, 13:17:38

any years between 35 and 40 years is less than 40.
the bottle got older as i read the article.

me May 22, 2013, 15:09:51

@burning… hmmm, can’t figure your math… if it was stolen on January 7, 1971, then it’s been missing for over 40 years (42 years, 3 months, 25 days by my count)... in that timeframe, someone held it for 35 years which leaves about 7 years for it to have been stolen, given to the guy who held it for 35 years and then onto Bentz… who then turned it over on 5/2/2013… however, I bet you’ve now gotten older reading this reply %^)

Cloudy Knight May 22, 2013, 16:33:28

Thanks for doing the math. I’m far too lazy to do it myself.

It's not that hard to return a stolen heirloom May 22, 2013, 19:28:03

“He had kept the slide with the hope of someday reuniting it with the Allman family, and through Facebook was finally able to make it happen.” I mean really how hard would it have been to walk up to the sound board at an ABB show and say that you have Duane’s stolen coricidin glass bottle and want to give it back to Gregg…seems like it could have been returned almost immediately, just sayin’. I’d venture to say this guy had other hopes for selling it on the black market and when that didn’t materialize he decided to take the high road after decades of opportunity to hand it over to Gregg.

Harry O'Day May 22, 2013, 22:29:34

Was Bentz Kirby knowingly in posession of stolen property?

Tom May 23, 2013, 10:04:41

Warren Haynes was given 2 coricidin bottle slides that belonged to Duane when he joined ABB. Unfornately he had one stolen from him at unplugged as well. Afterwards he would not take the other that belonged to Duane on the road.

Tom May 23, 2013, 10:04:42

Tom May 23, 2013, 10:04:54

Joel May 24, 2013, 12:16:48

I have an original Coricidin bottle that I use as a slide. I saw Duane live three times and it changed my life.

Big Dave May 31, 2013, 14:24:30

I was present in Greenwood when Bentz gave Devon the glass. Devon was so stoked. He looked at me and says, “This is the first thing of Duane’s I’ve ever had.” Devon has made it a point to not play slide out of respect to his famous uncle, but now that he has the Duane slide, he said he may give it a whirl. Devon is a good man and is a great legacy for the organically derived style of music his family is famous for.

sprots May 31, 2013, 14:32:59

Big Dave, thanks for sharing. Props to DA for wanting to honor Duanne and wanting to make his own sound. I hope to hear him work that bottle some day. Peace

Peter Geromini May 31, 2013, 15:06:48

Devon is a Gentlemen and im sure he is thrilled to have this in his possession, The road goes on FOREVER!

Scott May 31, 2013, 18:56:34

Devon – You are deserving of all good things Allman! Rock on!

Richard Whiting June 7, 2013, 09:24:24

Those commenting, please take a moment or two to read through my column on this. I was there as well and interviewed Bentz Kirby and even had a chance to talk with Devon that evening. Bentz did the right thing; he’s no thief. Here’s the link to my column: http://www.indexjournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=76&ArticleID=18563&TM=33775.75

me May 22, 2013, 12:50:52