Published: 2013/05/23

Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi Comments on Dispute with Bill Ward

According to a recent interview, Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi wanted Bill Ward to join the band for their new record and tour, but quit waiting for the negotiations to work out after being diagnosed with cancer at the end of 2011.

The guitarist spoke with Guitar World for their upcoming cover story, telling the magazine, “I was shocked. We were hearing stuff from lawyers, like, ‘I’m not happy with this. I’m not happy with that.’ We waited a long time for Bill and we wanted to sort it out. But at the end of the day, especially after I was diagnosed, I thought ‘Fucking hell, that’s it – we’ve got to get a move on. I might pop off next year!’ So I emailed him and said, ‘Bill, we can’t wait any longer. We’ve got to get on with it.’ And that was it.”

The band ended up recruiting Rage Against the Machine’s Brad Wilk to play on 13, Iommi’s first album with Osborne since 1978’s Never Say Die. The album will be released on June 10, and Black Sabbath will embark on a North American tour this summer.

Comments

Rich May 24, 2013, 10:35:48

Who would think that the Bill issue would turn a bunch of rabid Sabbath fans into people who sound more like they watch TV soap opera’s? I really love the comments that seem to have the inside track on the whole situation… I bought my ticket and I cant wait to see them again. Been a fan since mid 70’s. All these years and they are still the best. Enjoy the music while they are still around.

me May 23, 2013, 13:22:54

Too bad Bill couldn’t be in the mix… but I can’t argue Tony’s position either… Cancer is a fucking bitch. Not going to say Bill was wrong either since I don’t know what the offer was. But man, do I wish Bill had been part of it… Brad sounds good on the kit but is annoying to watch his caveman style of drumming. Sabbath’s new stuff, while far from their best, is better than most modern day metal… and to think these guys are all in their 60s… just amazes me! Back when Randy Rhodes was killed, I would have never ever guessed these guys would be writing decent material and be touring, much less even alive 30+ years later. Sabbath Rules!!!

Eric May 23, 2013, 13:40:14

Once lawyers start speaking for members of a band your not a band anymore.

dankerator May 23, 2013, 14:23:35

Just wait til ozzy loozes his voice after the third song of everynite of the tour!! I walked out the last time they played it was bad!! RIP Dio!!

MarZaPhiGar May 23, 2013, 14:26:49

WAAAAAAAAAY back in 8th grade (ca 1980) I bought the first BS album at a used record store for a buck. I knew nothing about them, but the cover was really spooky, and the name alone would cause some issues in my christian household. I brought the disc home and spun it & COULDNT BELIEVE MY FUCKIN EARS!!! Sabbath became my first band obsession, while all my classmates were listening to fucking REO Speedwagon and Peaches & Herb. The one truly, truly amazing thing is that these four lads are even alive and lucid. WOW. I still remember the rumor going around school that Oz died after recording Blizzard by “drinking a shot of liquid LSD.” Ah, memories!

C'mon Now May 23, 2013, 14:35:06

Sharon just doesn’t want to give Bill his fair cut. That’s the real story. The above comment about Ozzy copping out on stage because of ‘health issues’ has also been true since the late 1990’s.

Jackie May 23, 2013, 14:36:05

@MarZaPhiGar: It’s a free country so say what you want but don’t go round talking shit about Peaches & Herb.

Joseph May 23, 2013, 15:03:27

They never offered an even 4-way split to Bill.
32%
32%
32%
Black Sabbath can go suck an egg.

dk70 May 23, 2013, 15:21:49

Next thing you know posters on this thread are going to start dissing Pablo Cruise. Its kind of ironic that Peaches and Herb had a hit with “Reunited”. just sayin’.

MarZaPhiGar May 23, 2013, 15:58:29

@Jackie: Actually, I like Peaches and Herb, just not at the same time.

MarZaPhiGar May 23, 2013, 15:59:53

And I also think that Pablo Cruise like rocks way hard.

me May 23, 2013, 16:37:47

Wait a minute… you mean to tell me the man who has screamed, rather than sing, on every single album he’s recorded since 1969 has his 64 y/o vocal start getting garbled 4 songs into a Black Sabbath performance? Well, that sir is breaking news!!! That is the price you pay to hear some of the best metal ever, given that we can’t go back in time. Sort of like putting up with Trey’s habit in 2003 in order to hear what good stuff was still there. He may not be Dio, but his 64 y/o voice is still better than half the jambands out there today… and it would be great if you know-it-alls could post a link to your sources about splits and Sharon’s culpability… rumors are only rumors. Oh, and say what you will, but I was around for Peaches and Herb… they sucked… Reunited sucked and REO sucked/sucks (maybe not the first album before Kevin Cronin)... Pablo Cruise wasn’t bad… but if you’re looking for a cream puff band that was good… look no further than the Captain and Tennille… sing Muskrat Love gently into your girl’s ear and I guarantee she makes you happy!

Cloudy Knight May 23, 2013, 16:40:46

If that 32/32/32/4 split is accurate, fuck Black Sabbath. And Sharon Osborne if she’s responsible. Live performance proceeds for a reunited band should be an even split. You want to hire a drummer, fine, pay him a salary, but to screw over a founding member of the band is inexcusable.

Jeremy May 23, 2013, 23:22:24

Get a friggin grip clowns. Sabbath is what it is. Stop your crying about Sharon stealing your lunch money and Dio being dead. The man is a legend but he is DEAD. I love Sabbath with Dio but Sabbath with Ozzy is what I grew up on and will always be the one true Sabbath. Peace.

Jeremy May 23, 2013, 23:22:25

Jeremy May 23, 2013, 23:22:25

Joseph May 24, 2013, 01:52:42

Mohr Stories Podcast with Jim Florentine
Jim told about how they’ve screwed Bill all along.

Joe Mama May 24, 2013, 03:56:39

I can understand Tony’s position, but the whole idea of them communicating through Lawyers and E-Mail is just irritating. If you can’t pick up a phone and talk to your old friend, maybe it’s not worth even trying to get it together. The whole concept of this reunion was frightening when I first heard about it, doubly when I heard that Rick Rubin was producing, and then I just lost interest when Bill dropped out.

Cal May 24, 2013, 06:21:40

Just be happy Sabbath is still playing and they are bringing out a new album. Bill is his own worst enemy. He hasnt done much recording and touring in the last 30 years and can not follow through on commitments. dont blame them for moving on.

Jackie May 24, 2013, 09:06:44

@MarZaPhiGar: Yes sir, when they broke up I stuck with team Herb.

dankerator May 24, 2013, 10:53:43

@ Me Well if u wanna pay money for a shitty performance have fun!!! I can say the last time I saw Ozzy and he was good was ozzfest 99 and he doubled booked himself with ozzy and his band and then sabbath it was great. But after that it sucked !! So enjoy! This is a band that is better on record than live today!! I’m sad to say!!

me May 24, 2013, 13:39:55

For what it’s worth, here’s what Ozzy had to say apparently: http://www.nme.com/news/black-sabbath/70290

Paul May 28, 2013, 00:11:40

Bill – Please come back I wanna hear you play Electric Funeral…

norman benedict September 5, 2013, 02:24:29

It is now September 2013 and I saw Black Sabbath on August 16th in tinley park Illinois. The best rock show I ever saw of Ozzy and I saw him with Randy in 81. Stop your crying and bitching. Bill is out it is the bands personal business and move on. Be lucky to be alive and witness this band in person or on the web. Everybody give Sabbath a break. We should be so lucky again if they ever come and play anywhere!