Published: 2013/05/23

Trey Anastasio Performs with National Symphony Orchestra

Last night, Trey Anastasio performed with the the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. The Phish guitarist offered an evening of music that included classics from his solo project as well as the Phish catalog. While a lot of the set consisted of tunes that Anastasio played during last year’s orchestra shows, he performed his solo tune “Frost” in symphonic form for the first time.

Anastasio also dedicated “Brian and Robert” to his longtime songwriting partner Tom Marshall during the second set. At one point, a seemingly intoxicated fan disrupted the show in an attempt to get Anastasio’s attention. Apparently she was pretty stoked that the guy on stage was “literally Trey.”

The Trey Anastasio Band will perform at Summer Camp and DelFest this weekend. You can watch a high quality video of their recent Hangout Festival show here.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via our Box Scores section

Wednesday, May 22, 2013, Trey Anastasio with the National Symphony Orchestra, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC

Set I:
First Tube, Frost, Divided Sky, Let Me Lie > Goodbye Head, My Friend, My Friend > Guyute > My Friend, My Friend, Water In The Sky, Stash

Set II:
Time Turns Elastic, Brian & Robert, You Enjoy Myself

Enc:
Inlaw Josie Wales

Comments

JT May 23, 2013, 11:27:21

The incident with the fan was a brief comic interlude and Trey played right along. I can’t believe anyone would let something like that get in their way of enjoying the show. If you expected a room full of aristocrats who’ve graduated from finishing school at a Trey show, NSO or not,... you’re going to be disappointed every time. It was a fun show start to finish.

TCinNYC May 23, 2013, 10:53:09

Looks great. Sorry to hear about the attention seeking “fan” who interrupted the show. Pathetic & sad.

Marc Shapiro May 23, 2013, 11:31:23

There were barely interruptions, the crowd was hilarious and awesome. Stoked fans yelling to Trey between songs only enhanced the show for me.

jackstrawdc May 23, 2013, 11:31:23

The show was awesome! 99% of the phans realized they were at the symphony at the fabled – and acoustically amazing – Kennedy Center. A small number sort of forgot and yelled and hooted occasionally (which drowned out the finer instruments when they played softly and probably disrupted the musicians). Next time, consider watching the video if you can’t keep quiet.

stay at home May 23, 2013, 11:58:40

why go to a show if you are going to be so wasted. next time, get less intoxicated or stay home.

Paul Glace May 23, 2013, 12:15:47

Trey is now playing to 12 year olds. sad, really

T May 23, 2013, 12:15:55

Guyute*

Trey May 23, 2013, 12:23:48

Our younger fans have no respect. This younger generation is totally fucked up! Stay at home and tweet or twat on your phone and watch YouTube for footage of your favorite band so you don’t ruin the experience for the rest of our more mature fans!

JT May 23, 2013, 12:55:02

“Trey is now playing to 12 year olds. sad, really”? Seriously? Trey was having as much fun with the silliness as everyone else there was. I can only imagine the people all up in arms about this weren’t there, or take themselves WAY too seriously The whole think lasted 30 seconds, it was funny, the mood was light, everyone had a great time. And if you think that Trey’s never played for “12 year olds” before then I guess you’ve never been to a Phish concert.

chog May 23, 2013, 12:26:16

While the internet seems very angry with this girl, it (along with a handful of other minor incidents) was funny and not a very big deal. I’m sure she’s embarrassed. Really enjoyed this interpretation of the songs I’ve always loved. Great time.

me May 23, 2013, 13:17:25

I sure hope I don’t have to deal with drunk, obnoxious fans on tour this summer. I won’t hesitate to call the usher over and have them request that any drunken fans be quite… and, oh boy, if someone stands up in front of me… well, I will be absolutely upset. Back when I started seeing Phish, we policed it well… you can hear it for yourselves, just get an aud tape of any unamplified versions of Sweet Adeline and you’ll hear us… “SHHHHHHHHH...” oh yea, those were the days… 50 of us SHHHing everyone around us…

read the book May 23, 2013, 13:28:39

It actually didnt last 30 seconds. It lasted close to 10 – 15 minutes. That video doesnt tell the whole story. She was asked multiple times by ushers, patrons around her and Trey even added, “If you go sit down, I’ll dedicate the next song to you.” Which in turn, was Water in The Sky. If sitting 8-10 feet from trey in the 3rd row wasnt enough for this attention grabber, during Stash she danced around in the aisle and waived her arms obnoxiously. It’s sad. She had one of the best seats in the house, and that wasnt enough for her. She was the only person in the orchestra seating that was standing and causing a scene thus taking away from the show. Under no circumstance, is this okay at a venue like the Kennedy Center and in front of a grooup of world class musicians like the NSO. If the roles were reversed and it was a male fan, they would have been tossed from venue in the first 15 seconds

Aaron May 23, 2013, 13:30:28

Tip to tail it was an absolute honor to attend such a special event at the great Kennedy Center. Those complaining about the girl were obviously not there. She was enamored the same way we all were, she was just a bit more vocal about it. I was in a box very close to the stage with Kennedy Center members who most likely attend a good majority of the performances there and it was amazing to see the joy on their faces when they realized how connected the crowd connected with the performance, even when the girl was having a moment. Time Turns Elastic was absolutely magical and by the look in Trey’s eyes, he wanted every note of that piece. I really feel that Trey hit a pinnacle last night on one of the worlds greatest stages. Thank you Trey and the amazing NSO... btw… I have been to a bunch of shows there and that was the loudest reception I’ve ever heard.. even when compared to the larger room down the hall.

Idiot girl May 23, 2013, 13:34:32

That girl is a disgrace.
She is pathetic

JT May 23, 2013, 13:38:35

“that video doesn’t tell the whole story.” I was there, too. “Trey even added, “If you go sit down, I’ll dedicate the next song to you.” .. don’t you think if he had a big problem with his overzealous fan he would have had her removed? Sorry this incident ruined your night, for me it was just part of what made it memorable in the way that seeing a concert from TV isn’t. This, the mustaches, the finger-wagging security woman who diligently tried to stop people from taking pictures without being a b*tch, the wookies in suits, the old phans who wear suits to work wearing their 20 year old concert tees, the crowd erupting in hoots and hollers at NSO concert hall, half the audience leaving two songs before the first set ended and being called back by Trey… It was all awesome.

possom May 23, 2013, 13:53:26

too everyone who is so down on a mama who was haveing hert phun—-sounds like u are all rael ne w too the scene—i’ve managed too c several hundred trey and phish shows—last time i knew it was all about haveing phun—-i’ve never sat at any phish-trey—dead or anyother show——maybe u are too old too be seeing live music!!!!and if getting spun is their thing then so B it!!!!u can SIT at home and watch the veido—i know i will when i’m 90 and can’t dance any—-more!!!and my 12 yr old has seen trey almost a hundred times and he dances his ass off too and knows what it’s all about—the phunk!!!!so stay at home—-u cats sound like some of the yuppies who where on BROADWAY in ’87 for JERRY BAND—-no clue!!(~};}

40acres May 23, 2013, 13:59:29

Bug!....It doesn’t matter….

MarZaPhiGar May 23, 2013, 14:02:35

I seem to recall a few years back Trey playing a show at Carnegie Hall (perhaps w/ the NY Phil?) and there being some (absolutely deserved) scuttlebutt over the NO2 tanks that suddenly started hissing up and down the block.
As far as last night’s show goes, I was not there. But, as the son of an Eastman-trained symphony performer who grew up in concert halls, I can tell you that certain occasions call for gravitas- for the performers’ sake.
This evening was probably HUGE for Trey, who has had many diversions into the world of “straight” music, including the VT Youth Orchestra and his recent (albeit I’ll-fated) foray onto Broadway. I would say that the fans should have given the evening, and Trey, and the orchestra, some respect. For ONCE, just sit down and shut up, and appreciate what was being offered. This was an opportunity for the “good people” of the world to say “wow, those hippies might look ‘weird’ but man, they were a class act.” Do you know how fucking proud Trey would have been to see that? Instead, he had to act as an apologist around these world-class musicians who were probably in equal parts shocked, dumfounded, and amused.
Sorry to ramble on, but in the future let’s try and give these rare offerings the respect due- and especially Trey. Let’s all try and shock ‘outsiders’ with our class- like at Watkins Glen, when the authorites were “shocked- SHOCKED!” at how well-behaved and peaceful our scene can be- and that the fans, ON THEIR OWN, scrubbed the place clean after the shows were over.

UncleEb May 23, 2013, 14:22:04

The nitrous tanks in the lower entrances of the Kennedy Center is just as upsetting regarding the lack of respect this scene can show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gan9Z-ZJLdQ One night at the Kennedy Center and folks cant show a little class. Come on!

Nedstruzz May 23, 2013, 14:29:25

There’s a time and a place. Unfortunately for her and some of us in attendance last night it wasn’t the right time or place for her actions. Save it for summer tour. Not the Kennedy Center. Trey played it off because he’s a pro. But make no mistakes its embarrassing for him and us as a scene. Fact!

JT May 23, 2013, 16:35:36

“do not defend or encourage the actions that that girl displayed.” — I think that one can discuss her actions in the context of the evening and dismiss them as “not a big deal” without “defending or encouraging” them. Almost every comment here is about that girl, which is odd, since almost everything I remember about the show was Trey Anastasio onstage with the NSO, and not some drunk girl.

TCinNYC May 23, 2013, 15:11:30

Look i go all the way back to the beginning with Phish (thank God) & the enthusiasm, & participation of the audience is central to the experience. At The Carnegie Hall show we were all hooting & hollering in between songs & clapping during Stash & whistling during Guyute..etc. Thats all good. This isn’t about changing our (the fans) behaviour. But we can’t disrespect others in our pursuit of personal peaks. Its neither fair, nor cool. I have friends who sat just behind this young lady last night & they said she was ridiculously over the top to the point of distraction. That’s unaceptable. Sure if you were sitting way in the back or up top & this event played out you’d think it was funny & not a big deal, but the reality is that she was affecting the experience of others & that is never under any circumstance tolerable. She is not the show. Nor am I or you. We are participants & we are often wildly invested in these performances & thats great. But the moment we cross the line & begin to dampen the experience for others we lower the collective bar. Look what happened is not the end of the world, & probably for many, it was another in a night of huge moments. But please, do not defend or encourage the actions that that girl displayed. She could have stayed in her space & spun herself into oblivion & no one would care. But she imposed herself on others & is now getting the on-line beat down that she unfortunately deserves. She must have forgotten that our motto is don’t tread on me.

MarZaPhiGar May 23, 2013, 15:38:47

I heard there was a smattering of applause on between movements of YEM. Quelle horreur!

Geo May 23, 2013, 15:56:57

Please take down this sad video and replace it with one of the performance. And if anyone knows this girl, let her know about the Phellowship.

Neon Sweatshirt May 23, 2013, 19:14:05

It was an awesome night. My girl and I had a great time. That young chick was out of her mind. She made a fool of herself in the concert and even worse outside as she propositioned everyone for a balloon with either money or other things. Best part, she was there with her mom! Good job Mama. She should have realized where she was. This was a classy event and she was classless.

MoJo May 23, 2013, 20:04:15

It was a fantastic show and the drunk girl (there’s always one) shouldn’t be the topic of dicussion here. How about the skill and demanding technicality that Steven Reineke via Don Hart brought out of the NSO? And after only 2 rehearsals!! What was witnessed last night was nothing short of music mastery. Those of us who were there should be thanking our lucky stars.

twatts1000 May 23, 2013, 23:38:27

Good Lord… Some people have no sense of decorum…

dbagchick May 24, 2013, 14:33:34

The show was AMAZING. Intelligent people can tell the difference between a Phish show and a show at the Kennedy Center. It’s expected that people will wasted with Phish and it’s hardly ever a distraction to the band. (Except ffor naked people on stage) This girl was an idiot and Trey even asked her to be quiet twice. It’s has to be a great feeling for him to really shine at something he obviously put a ton of effort into (as evident with the Time Turns Elastic) and asking someone to behave twice doesn’t add to his performace, it takes away from it.
There is a time and place for people to let loose with Phish, but nitrous and ooh-child in the front had no place at an event some could call once in a lifetime for Trey and his fans.

Row Jimmy May 25, 2013, 14:17:13

Anyone have recordings of this performance??? Help

David May 27, 2013, 16:23:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVbDYrIZIF4 A small clip of TTE. May be a couple more small clips posted later. The staff was harsh on any recording. I am really hoping Livephish will release this show since I would love to hear it again and again. As far as the girl goes, I was annoyed and distracted. This was not the time or the place for that behavior and it detracted from the reputation of fans going to see a show in such a high end venue. A friend was on the fifth row just behind her and said that was not even her seat, but during the second song when the original seat holder got up to go to the restroom, she snagged his seat. Before the second set began an usher asked the true seat holder to please stay in his seat so there was no way the girl could get back up there. I know everyone wants to get up close, but that is one annoying thing I have noticed the last few years in non GA shows. If someone pays for a particular seat, they expect to have that seat for the whole show without some smelly wookie and their eight friends crowding in to get one or two rows closer. Especially a problem if you get a seat on a rail. Have a little respect for your fellow concert goers. One of the best musical experiences ever for me and I have been seeing Phish since 1994.

David May 27, 2013, 16:38:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4RMqzJGOorI YEM I just found. Very good.