Published: 2013/05/28

Kanrocksas Festival Cancelled

This year’s Kanrocksas Music Festival has been cancelled due to low ticket sales. A statement posted on the event’s website today reads:

Due to insufficient ticket sales, Midwest Music Festivals and Kansas Speedway have decided to cancel the 2013 Kanrocksas Music Festival scheduled for June 28th and 29th.

There are no plans to reschedule the event at this time.

The Kanrocksas authorized ticketing agent, ground(ctrl), will process all ticket refunds including service fees electronically. Customers will receive an email Tuesday, May 28th informing them of the cancellation and when they can expect their refund.

For questions about refunds or to check the status of your refund please visit:

Sincere thanks from our entire event staff to those who supported the festival in 2011 and with advance tickets this year.

Kansas Speedway + MMF, LLC.

The festival was set to take place un 28 and 29, and was supposed to feature Tiesto, fun., Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pretty Lights, Passion Pit, MGMT, Kendrick Lamar, The Avett Brothers, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and many more. The Kanrocksas Festival originally took place in 2011, but the festival’s organizers skipped out on a 2012 event due to conflicts with construction at the venue.

Kanrocksas is the third major festival to cancel in the last couple of weeks. The inaugural JamBase Live and Moonrise Festivals also called it quits last week.

Comments

Tim May 28, 2013, 17:43:33

Like Moonrise & JamBase Live, it wasn’t exactly a ‘must see’ lineup. There are sooo many (toooo many) festivals already with new ones being planned every day it seems. The people who go to these things can only afford so much, so the lineup better be spectacular if you want my $$. Thank you Interlocken for doing your homework and putting forth a quality product…I haven’t been this excited for something this spectacular since the mysterious webpage that sprang up in early 2001 that simply said ‘BONNNAROO...check back to see what it is…’

Matt Raybon May 28, 2013, 17:50:17

In my personal opinion the failure of this festival came because theyre marketing scheme and festival poster was without a doubt the lowest quality out of all the new fests and it was lacking the real lineup depth that truly sustains a good fest.

Matt May 28, 2013, 20:02:10

Just finished reading thru the latest Relix that arrived in the mail. As I was about a quarter of the way through the ‘top 100 festivals’ I began to wonder what piece of the puzzle i wasn’t picking up on. Just glancing at the list it’s hard not to see that it’s unsustainable. The economy sucks, especially for young people. And from a marketing perspective, consumers can only digest 2 or 3 REALLY BIG EVENT in a given period of time. In fact I’d argue that the average general market consumer can really only process one at a time. There’s just too many choices.

Bee May 28, 2013, 20:11:55

Have to agree that with so many fests out there, gotta have it all lined-up if you’re the organizer: busgets, line-up, marketing. I see their poster and logo are H*O*R*R*I*B*L*E. Beyond. I work festivals and that tells me they don’t have a marketing plan worth a hoot, nor do they have a ral image of who they are — that image is what everyone sees to get fired up! And this image above with the camper is just AWFUL.

jamband scene is dead May 28, 2013, 20:40:00

too bad. i want going but i would much rather that lineup than the over the hill/past their prime fest that is Interlocken (maybe 10 years ago, but lineup sucks in 2013, not one of the bands is worth seeing for the price they are asking.) lol furthur, lol, sci, lol jambands.

Jdog May 28, 2013, 22:58:05

It’s Kansas.

Shocker May 28, 2013, 23:29:36

My 3-year old could hammer out a better poster on his etch-a-sketch. Not to mention it’s at a friggin race track (no trees / shade) in the heat of the Kansas summer. No surprise that this was canceled.

Aaron B. May 28, 2013, 23:33:27

I’ve been a Kansas City resident my whole life, so being a local as well as a live music fan you could really get a feel for what the organizers were trying to do with Kanrocksas, but also at the same time see where they’re getting it wrong. The first year of Kanrocksas, they blew holes in their pockets by booking Eminem (1mil.) and just went over budget in general without ticket sales to compensate. Renting out a nascar stadium can’t be cheap anyway. I feel like this year was a failure because an overwhelming amount, almost 3/4ths, of the bands booked are bands that have toured through KC extensively in the past 5 years or who already have been in town in the past 6-8 months. For a medium sized market, people just aren’t going to shell out $200+ to see bands they’ve already seen.

Matt May 29, 2013, 01:41:19

I went in 2011. the line up I saw was quite possibly the best trio ever! kid cudi, bassnectar & eminem.
and this year.. the only performers I wanted to see were Kendrick and Tiesto. and they still hike the prices up? pha—I’m glad it’s cancelled.

Ben May 29, 2013, 09:41:00

I like the poster and it’s simplicity. Sometimes less is more. Nonetheless, it wasn’t going to get me there. If you let a poster make these decisions for you then you’re an idiot!

jazzfester May 29, 2013, 10:41:45

I am with Jdog—It’s Kansas. Need anything more be said?

Tim May 29, 2013, 16:15:45

Jamband scene is dead? Really?? If I’m not mistaken Interlocken presale sold out their $200 tix in a couple of days with 30,000+ expected based on nothing but a handfull of bands getting together to jam over 4 days. I guess Kanrocksas would be fun if you like paying $200 for a bunch of bands who would be hard pressed to fill a night club let alone ‘headline’ a major festival.

kowe May 31, 2013, 13:23:11

this years kanrocksas music festival seemed like it targeted more indie henre fans than the 2011 line-up. thats why the fact that they didnt sell alot of tickets surprises me. alot of those indie bands do not play shows around central america, i thought fans around these central states would be excited and willing to buy tickets for bands that normally play upstate
. but oh well