Published: 2013/05/30

More Info on Allman Brothers Band’s Brothers and Sisters Reissue

A few weeks ago we wrote about the forthcoming 40th anniversary reissue of the Allman Brothers Band’s classic album Brothers an Sisters. The official information was released today, and it looks like its going to be a good one. In addition to a remastered vinyl, fans will also be be able to purchase deluxe two-CD and four-CD box sets that include previously unreleased rehearsals, jams and outtakes.

The two-CD edition with feature the a remastered version of the album, plus previously unreleased rehearsals of “Wasted Words,““Trouble No More,” “One Way Out,” “I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town” and “Done Somebody Wrong,” as well as outtakes of the instrumental “Southbound,” “Double Cross” and “Early Morning Blues,” and the brand-new archival find, “A Minor Jam.”

The four-CD set will come with the same material as the two-disc set, plus another two discs devoted to live recordings from the band’s performance at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco on September 26, 1973. The show includes an introduction by Bill Graham and previously unavailable live versions of “Done Somebody Wrong,” “Stormy Monday,” “Midnight Rider,” “Statesboro Blues,” “You Don’t Love Me” (which includes “Amazing Grace”), “Les Brers in A Minor,” “Blue Sky,” “Trouble No More” and “Whipping Post,” along with two Brothers and Sisters tracks, “Come and Go Blues” and “Jessica.”

The 40th anniversary reissue of Brothers and Sisters will be available on June 25. The two-disc edition can be pre-ordered on Amazon for $27, while the four-disc can be preordered for $47.47.

Comments

Suthyrn Rock May 30, 2013, 20:56:27

Vinyl, Ready! just got a SL1500 at the GoodWill for $12.95 with a GRADO needle and stylus. Life just gets better. Vinyl yes.

Danny M. May 30, 2013, 15:28:39

Allman’s Bros. legacy lives on for the ages…...

Nat May 30, 2013, 16:05:46

Gonna have to save up some $47.47.

Bettina May 30, 2013, 16:42:54

This is, by all means, my favorite group.

gfahey May 30, 2013, 16:58:07

OK, maybe someone here can answer this. On “Southbound” have you ever noticed or figured out who exactly is singing lead? Sounds like Dickey and Gregg trading back and forth but, I’ve never heard them sound so much alike! On another note, this is the one ABB album that begged for a remaster. I always found the mix muddy. Hope it sounds the way it should with this reissue!

kenne May 30, 2013, 17:31:54

“Live at the Fillmore” is timeless and has been in my collection since 1973.As fresh as it was then!

nickio May 30, 2013, 17:39:09

yep, Southbound they swap the vocals

Johnny Biscuits May 30, 2013, 19:08:16

People down in Georgia come from near and far to hear Richard Betts picking on that red guitar.

Al K May 30, 2013, 19:20:32

Been rocking Live At The Fillmore a LOT lately in my truck. Like Kenne stated;timeless music,perfect for a few hours on the road.

Ron C May 30, 2013, 19:30:04

This is one album that deserves a proper re-master / re-issue. The original album and CD releases always sounded muddy and needed a volume boost. Tom Dowd’s engineering and the band’s performance will shine on the re-issue.

james May 30, 2013, 19:38:49

one of my favorite off hand jams was Dicket, Harold Miracle, and little ole me at Harolds place in Celina Ohio. Harold recorded some of it, but I
m sure it has disappeared over time. Dickey played guitar for Harold before me and what a great happenstance it was. another was at Dan and Karens (BoardwalkCafe) in Nashville. I am looking forward to this release, and hopeing the mix is as nasty as the original. what a band. Looking forward to Michaels latest project too. go ABB

robert woodward May 30, 2013, 22:13:58

dicky wrote southbound and has sung it most of the time but he wanted Gregg to sing it on album. said he was honored to sing it. Gregg sings it better anyway

Marty May 31, 2013, 07:04:19

Seen them in Detroit, when they toured for Brothers and Sisters. What a great concert and album!!!! Still have it…

Nick May 31, 2013, 11:32:54

Waiting for the HD Tracks version.

Mark May 31, 2013, 11:40:49

I thought the Winterland performance in 1973 was on NY Eve. This looks to be a pretty good set, am looking forward to it. I am hoping that Dickey gets his health back and one of these things they are putting out will be an olive branch between Greg and Dickey and they give him another chance.

Bob May 31, 2013, 11:41:15

I always thought that pretty much every release coming out of Capricorn Studios sounded muddy and highly compressed. Hopefully the re-release will clean that up.

dc June 3, 2013, 21:43:42

Wasn’t this the first album ABB did not have Dowd as producer but rather Johnny Sandlin a long-time compatriot???...hoping a remaster brightens and deepens the sound…

dk70 June 4, 2013, 16:56:05

First time I saw the reformed Allmans in 89, Dickey sang Southbound, and I was like “whatt?” it rocked bigtime though. Great show at the Philly Rectum right after a great pair of GD shows in DC. Those were the days.

Steve January 31, 2014, 13:09:05

James: I’m interesting in learning more about Dickie, Harold Miracle and you. Dub Sheets? Just an amateur historian trying to recreate the story of how Dickie Betts learned some chops in Mercer County.