Published: 2013/06/03

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings Postpone Album and Tour as Jones Begins Cancer Treatment

Photo by Marc Millman

Upcoming tour plans for Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings have been suspended due to health concerns. Jones has been diagnosed with stage-one bile duct cancer which will required surgery and then a period of convalescence. As Jones herself explains in a statement:

Over the last few weeks I haven’t felt good and I didn’t know what was going on. We sadly had to cancel shows while I went through a series of tests and short hospital stays. We just found out that I have a stage-one tumor on my bile duct. Luckily we caught it really early and fast and the doctors say it’s operable and curable!

_I will be having surgery very soon and will have to rest and recover. I’ll be staying in touch and keeping my fans and friends updated on my progress. I’m looking forward to getting back on the road to give the people what they want!”

The release of the band’s forthcoming studio album Give The People What They Want, originally slated for August 6, will be delayed as well.

Comments

TCinNYC June 3, 2013, 09:39:31

Good luck Sharon. Keep your head up & stay positive. There will be time for everything after you get better. God bless!!

shinymetalass June 3, 2013, 09:39:33

Love your music!! Recover quick please, Ray Manzerak just passed away after battling the same type of cancer. Much love and support for you Sharon!!!!!!! ((((Sharon))))

burning_beard June 3, 2013, 10:09:32

the beard wishes you a speedy recovery so that you can get back to bustin’ out the soul.

me June 3, 2013, 10:53:13

Sharon is one upbeat, positive person on stage… I’m sure that great attitude will come in handy when she kicks cancer’s ass… Good health to you Sharon but we’ll miss you in Rochester for the Jazz Festival!

Jesse June 3, 2013, 11:34:59

Sharon Jones is one of the toughest people in this or any business. Imagine a woman less than 5 feet tall guarding armored trucks, and working in maximum security prisons, which is exactly what she did before the Dap-Kings. She’ll be back in no time.

mutter June 3, 2013, 14:18:22

Good luck cancer…it’s over…and Sharon Jones is a national treasure. My first time seeing her play is singed into my eyes & soul.