Published: 2013/06/12

Umphrey’s McGee Are Back in the Studio

Umphrey’s McGee are back in the studio working on a new album. Keyboardist Joel Cummins posted that the band was working with producer Manny Sanchez (who is also currently working with Yonder Mountain String Band) on Twitter the other day. Cummins tweeted that the group was hoping to get 6-7 new tracks down, then later tweeted that two new basic tracks were done. Today, Cummins posted that the band had finished two more basic tracks.

Umphrey’s McGee released their last album, Death By Stereo, in 2011. In a recent interview with Jambands.com, bassist Ryan Stasik mentioned that the band felt like that album “was a little all over the place as far as trying to take a group of songs and do something different.” He also said that Umphrey’s would be returning to the studio “to really crack down and get a solidified group of numbers that make sense to go together.” You can check out a review of Death By Stereo here.

Comments

minarerts June 12, 2013, 19:10:54

At least Vince is saving money by using a producer yonder, his other band, uses. He probably got a deal on studio time. Would you bet big on a good studio product on a band that is a decade out from its last good album of new material? Its good business to save needed money before the band frays more internally. VM, Vinces Minarets

wait June 12, 2013, 16:26:37

Joel is out of his mind if he thinks people care about his tweets. He is like sixth man on the Umphreys deal team at the end of Vinces assembly line. Would people even care if it was a band twitter. They are a mid level jamband not Phish.

translation June 12, 2013, 16:29:00

Ryan admitted Death By Stereo was trash.

Jeff June 12, 2013, 16:38:20

I love all the social media stuff surrounding Umphrey’s. From the member profiles to all the rest, it’s just a great way to enjoy a band that is known to not take themselves too seriously and have as much fun as they can themselves and with their audience. Much respect to Ryan for being honest about DBS. That album seemed totally out of place in their catalogue. No flow whatsoever.

Will June 12, 2013, 16:41:02

Mid-level jam band? Give me a break. Umphrey’s doesn’t have the popularity Phish has, but UM could play laps around Phish

RG June 12, 2013, 17:34:15

@wait…no need to rip something apart just because you don’t understand it. The open connection that Umphreys has with their fans is a very cool use of the social media platforms. If you don’t like it, don’t subscribe to it. I’m a big Phish fan too, and I get really tired of Phish fans who feel that everything needs to be compared to Phish. Newsflash: YOU CAN LIKE MORE THAN ONE BAND! Phish won’t get mad at you.

LGBT June 12, 2013, 19:21:25

Im a rainbow UM phan and their open arms with which they hurd us in is appreciated. Brendan is ok but he needs to write more love letters to us like believe (his) the lie.

will you aee right June 12, 2013, 19:49:43

Mid level jamband is over doing it. Local band does ok right bro? So outside of Denver and Chicago they are a high level bar band testing new oroginals around covers. That is more bar bandish

Umphreak Question June 12, 2013, 20:16:33

SO this is news I guess. I must confess I only go for the guitars covers and old tunes. I went to Notre Dame and lquit counting but safe to say I have seen 100 plus UM shows and every side dish offered. I dobt care about new music I would rather they just develop more covers and cover mish mashes. Is it true that Ben Kaufman or another bassist is going to be on certain tracks Ryan has difficulty playing? That would be cool. Skill over stash phreaks.

Erik June 13, 2013, 06:24:11

UM is incomparable to Phish; completely different style of music. These new tracks should continue to justify that.

The champ of all trolls June 13, 2013, 09:26:09

The same troll posts every time there is news about UM…get a life, troll trash

jambandchick June 13, 2013, 12:53:50

@RG- AGREED!!! You CAN like more than one band at a time. People are stupid. I think Death By Stereo had a couple good tracks. Nothing crazy. Excited to hear what they come up with this go round!

Wikiwiki June 13, 2013, 19:11:24

Death By Stereo was a great album in my mind. It was different, it flowed differently. But nothing is ever the same so this is kind of a given. Miami Virtue, Search 4, Booth Love, The Floor, all incredible songs that fit perfectly into their classics catalog IMO.

Tyler June 13, 2013, 21:36:53

I love this band and everything they do, even if they don’t. Iv never had more fun than I did at an um show. It’s not about how big they are or what other bands are better. It’s about the fuckin bass tone!

Tyler June 13, 2013, 21:36:54

Jeff June 14, 2013, 10:48:21

The problem with DBS was that it wasn’t originally intended to be released as one album. They were talking about doing 3 EP’s, each with a different style. Instead they put it all together for DBS, which has some good songs but doesn’t fit together at all. I love a lot of the stuff live though.

Jeff June 14, 2013, 10:48:41

Chid August 17, 2013, 20:36:24

lol at all the butthurt phish fans. straight up you would think their existence consists solely of phish concerts and trolling umphreys. Be a little open minded ffs, UM are talented as fuck