Published: 2013/06/18

Robert Hunter Confirms More Tour Dates

Robert Hunter has added even more dates to his upcoming run. The former Grateful Dead lyricist will kick off the series of shows at The Paramount in Huntington, NY on September 26 before making his way across the Northeast for a short tour that will wrap up with a performance at New York City’s Town Hall on October 10. A full list of his upcoming dates can be found below.

Hunter has only made sporadic live appearances during the past two decades. Most notably, he performed at New York’s Wetlands closing night in 2001 and supported The Dead on select shows between 2002-2004. Since his last support spot with The Dead on August 8, 2004, he’s written with the likes of Bob Dylan, Jim Lauderdale, Little Feat, Papa Mali and the surviving members of the Grateful Dead, among others.

Robert Hunter Tour Dates

September 26 Huntington, NY—The Paramount
September 28 Allentown, PA—Symphony Hall
October 1 Red Bank, NJ—Count Basie Theatre
October 3 Washington, DC—Lisner Auditorium
October 4 Glenside, PA—Keswick Theatre
October 5 Port Chester, NY—Capitol Theatre
October 7 Boston, MA—Wilbur Theatre
October 10 New York, NY—Town Hall

Comments

Pancho : ) October 3, 2013, 22:05:05

PS Saw Payne recently and it’s for real.
MY DAY. Alternatively titled:
HUNTER, JOURNEY WEST: Please Tour More We all have interesting days and here is my Sept 3 2013. It began with a sigh, dragging out of bed to do a cool day but tired from an restless night of dreams in which “DEATH DON’T HAVE NO MERCY” played seemingly endlessly in them all. (I realize this is not a Hunter song) In effect my day began with nominal concern.
My work allows me music and I admit to hitting the PRUDENCE pretty hard. Let’s say 8 jgb 90’s to be conservative. ( I realize this is also not a Hunter song and no the author does not have OCD)
This evening I managed escape with my life by 3 feet (perhaps two) when a speeding red devil sedan ran a 65mph hwy red light. I was Ghandhi-ish-ly poised for the hit! I was!
This is what I remember:
1) screeching tire sounds
2) turning to face the red car and FLASH! seeing that my loved ones would be fine in their lives (aka: resignation)
3) a real vision of Jerry smiling with left hand reached out, palm up like “step up queenie to the land of the dead”. He looked great, still salt and pepper, wearing black t-shirt and sweats and interestingly, the whole real universe was spinning on a tilted plate about his chest height (Jer=God).
4) and a thought….“WAIT! F THIS!!! I WANT TO SEE HUNTER PLAY PANCHO AND LEFTY” ( i realize, again, not a Hunter song).
With a flash of guru blessing and remotely viewed siddhi-ous time lapse my Ten Jedi luck kicked in, my reflexes and beater worked, and I escaped to live on. I may not be as blue as you’d imagine. Have been processing a tremendous amount is all. Daintier than u think. What I learned from this is two-fold:
1) too much not Hunter songs may be not good for longevity.
2) most important, to tell everyone loved, “I LOVE YOU” NOW. DO IT NOW !!! Trust me on this.
So, I would like to end my story with a letter now: Dear Mr. Robert Christy Hunter, I LOVE YOU. Please get your guitar and harp and beautiful voice and body out West soon. Some of us are apparently on collision courses with “stuff”. Make it worth it. Make it make sense. My feet are nailed to the spot of Recognition. (No seriously, they built me a studio over the spot because I was inconsolable when you left.) Okay?Please keep touring. Thanks from a harmless bug.

Jim June 21, 2013, 13:23:05

My first Dead Show was 1983 and saw the Dead and JGB many times. But never was lucky enough to catch Hunter because he never played anywhere that was within a days drive of me. I may have to make a 2 day drive to finally catch him! Would love to see The Eagle Mall Suite live!

me June 18, 2013, 13:03:40

Who is this Robert Huner that you speak of?

larry! June 18, 2013, 13:41:34

use your google machine

kerny June 18, 2013, 13:57:47

I’m pretty sure I had a religious experience when I saw RH in Keene NH back in ’98.

Duhhhh June 18, 2013, 14:14:38

Larry, it’s supposed to be a joke…

larry! June 18, 2013, 16:01:52

no kiddin’ - larry!

me June 18, 2013, 17:05:40

@lar… it’s outta batteries %^)

Cloudy Knight June 18, 2013, 20:14:29

Can’t sing, can’t play, but he sure can write lyrics.

Glenda McCue June 18, 2013, 22:27:27

Larry, Robert Hunter is the best song writer to ever live besides Bob Dylan, He wrote all the Jerry songs,,If you are a true Grateful Dead fan you should know this!......

SCAREKROW ~¡~ NIGGL June 19, 2013, 00:19:42

Yes my friends and lets take a moment to mention Mr. Hunters inter working with The New Riders of the Purple Sage and Krew… Some of the best music ever!! I think even Mr G. Would agree \m/\m/ He has a sweet at the mission,
6 of 1, at 17 pine avenue, down the middle, is where I come from, when I had a Billboard Dream;-)

larry! June 19, 2013, 12:35:11

Glenda, Are you a good witch… Or a bad witch? He wrote all the Jerry songs Something tells me I’m not in Kansas anymore… “Become yourself before someone else does.” ~ larry!

Butterfly June 21, 2013, 00:58:31

That Mr. Hunter will perform, even once, even for 5 minutes… is easily one of the happiest realities of my otherwise very happy life. I have been praying for this and working on being ready to see him again. The last I saw was Fox stage Boulder 96…played Jack o Roses. Am going out for every show. Thank you to Mickey Hart, Bruce Hornsby, 7 Walkers, Little Feat, all their teams. Other than Jerry coming back, this is as good as it anything can ever be. It means the world. Compass check! We are ready. Thank you, Mr. Hunter. It means everything.

Butterfly June 21, 2013, 01:28:29

Thanks also to Jim Lauderdale and current New Riders….the New Riders Hunter works are amazing. Should give special thanks to Hornsby’s manager…. he wanted this too. I live in Musical Mecca. I see epic shows often and really great ones every week. I would trade all for one Hunter show. This is a dream come true. Thank you again…from the bottom of my heart. Peace

Vivian Kelly RN June 25, 2013, 17:44:57

Come out to CAAnd OR!!

jim June 28, 2013, 04:09:13

gra8teFul whoooohoo
the hamilton in dc good venue next time

Theresa June 29, 2013, 05:05:21

Cloudy Knight… an IQ increase chakra balance DNA stimulation repair sandwich
Obviously the gratest lyricist of all time but also favorite poet, storyteller, and THE honest journalist of our times. RH also finest humanitarian. Would have done most anything to keep Rex alive and so on. But back to the brawl, RH vocal interpurrtations better than any!!! His playing is to die for, are u kidding? There is a chair made to be broken over just such a head. Rowdy fun you owe me many drinks so C U THERE!! Ps How can one not have a religious experience at RH shows? The highest hold rarely makes such appearance! God, All this musing is fun, innit?! R&R time re-re-reading Strange Music. indeed

dusty r June 29, 2013, 14:49:12

alrighty-o& bye-bye interlocken Hunter rules

Butterfly June 29, 2013, 19:08:18

Got a Town Hall ticket! Selling out AND that place is hardly shy of PERFECT! THANK YOUS!

whyzitmatter July 6, 2013, 00:09:58

sweet man. can we get codder Michaels

Jim July 20, 2013, 16:39:46

Hey Bob! Best thing to do: wear earplugs. K? Seriously cool run coming up.

santarosa70 July 28, 2013, 01:26:42

Damn….. frakkin east coast stops only…...O Scranton…..damn and damn agin, the man is a true minstrel musician with a heart of sound wood, string, and metal and…......that old, crackling, deepanded voice, person and body…..................................

Andy August 9, 2013, 13:37:10

Lame! Just received – “We regret to inform you that the performance of Robert Hunter at GW Lisner Auditorium on October 3rd, has been cancelled. We will be issuing full refunds for the amount you were charged during your ticket purchase. Please allow 3-5 business days for this refund to show up on your statement.”

La Eldorado August 14, 2013, 11:38:38

Hang on! Lucky 7 dates! Confirmed Lisner off schedule. Everyone be very very good now! Earn the 7!

Hemphit August 17, 2013, 13:15:01

Last time with Mr.Hunter was 2 decades ago…...Got my tixxs for his show in the Boston area…Actuall he is plaing the same gig I was @ some years ago…The Wilbur. ... Peace and Happiness. ......“I can see yer dancen shoes”. East Coast Head….

FreakflagFIRE....well, CT prettier August 19, 2013, 00:11:25

Um…i’m alive. hullo halo? DC out CT in. What venue there? PLEASE just come to Colorado. You know we’re giving everything for this? 5000 miles. Gra8teful and same as ever was.

tom August 19, 2013, 16:09:03

Mr Hunter has also been hard at work with Mr Bill Payne of Little Feat. They have penned 16 tunes so far! 4 on the latest Little Feat record “Rooster Rag”, one on an upcoming Hooligans recording and the rest TBA....Great stuff.

Patrick September 12, 2013, 13:57:10

RH one of the original cards from the bottom of the deck, (not a player, but the wordsmith for the octet) is incredible in his expression of everyday life across several time era’s. Love his work

Maggie Murphy September 17, 2013, 15:31:14

I totally would love to see Robert again. I used to do sound for him up in Seattle and my band Wild Rose String Band even opened for him once. Good times…

Robby Frank October 8, 2013, 14:42:32

Once in awhile you get shown the light and in a momentary decision to check the web for Hunter’s doings last week, landed tickets to see him at The Capitol Theater. Drove over, hung around and checked into dismally far “orchestra seats.” Spotted the opera boxes on the wall and the $25.00 upgrade sign in the lobby glimmered back. With the help of a lovely usher, upgraded our seats. It all came together and at 8:06 Hunter came on styling minimalism with only a Taylor Hollowbody T5, much lighter than the Country Gentleman he carried from ’02 through ’04. The “ace in the hole” paced himself well throughout two sets. Stood and delivered Candyman and New Speedway to close the second set. Left us after Ripple and Boys in the Barroom with nothing to do but “smile, smile, smile” and head on over to Town Hall.