Published: 2013/06/25

PBS is Looking for Loyal Phish Fans

PBS NewsHour is looking for loyal Phish fans. The YEMblog has pointed out that the program recently put a form up on their website, along with a a statement that reads:

In an upcoming interview with Jeffrey Brown, Phish’s lead singer Trey Anastasio discussed the importance of the band’s fans to their music and ongoing success.

It’s no secret that fans of Phish are some of the most loyal around. So, we’re asking: Are you a die-hard Phish fan? Have you been to multiple concerts, memorized countless lyrics or plastered Phish posters on your walls?

If this describes you, please fill out the form below. Send us photos and memories of your Phish experiences and you may be included in an online feature.

The form asks “When and why did you become a Phish fan?” and also provides the opportunity to upload an “original photo to illustrate your passion for Phish music.” We like to think that at least some of our readers qualify as loyal Phish fans. If you think your loyalty is worthy of a PBS online feature, then you can fill out the form here.

As previously reported, PBS NewsHour will air a profile on Trey Anastasio some time before Phish hits the road. The band will kick off their summer tour in Bangor, ME on July 3.

Comments

kyle tate June 25, 2013, 12:21:06

I have been listening to PHISH since 2002.It started when I saw TAB in 2002.It was the 10 piece band and it was amazing.Trey was going insane and directing the rest of the band by hand.2/20/2003 Rosemont,Illinois was my first PHISH.Saw phish 6 times in 03 and 04,had to go to college.They went on hiatus after summer 04.I got in a bad accident in 06 and became disabled.PHISH came back in 09.I went to Chicago and Deer Creek on the 2 legs of the summer tour.Went to Miami for New Years.Saw them 1 time in 2010.2 times at the UIC in Chicago in 2011.2012 I saw them 2 times at Deer Creek.This year I am doing all 3 nights in Chicago.I buy a poster at every concert I have been to since 09.I have $300 in 6 posters and can’t wait to see what the Chicago poster will look like this year.My collection of shirts and posters are ready…....

Chris Littell June 25, 2013, 13:04:34

To whom it may concern, I have been a Phish fan for over twenty years. I began following the band while I was a student at Kent State University around 1992. The first Phish concert I ever attended was at the Cleveland Agora in that same year. My love/obsession for live music was formed as a fan of the Grateful Dead, and a few friends influenced me into listening to a new jam band. Reluctant at first, I began listening. To my amazement they were so much fun to listen to. The Grateful Dead were serious, heart felt, emotional songs which I love an will always keep in my heart, but Phish? Oh no! Pure fun, silliness, trampolines, sweepers as instruments! What the heck was this? My first show was an outpouring of energy that I had never witnessed from a live band. One of my favorite memories from that concert was after the first set had come to a close. The band took a bow and left the stage. The lights in the theatre came on, and I sat back in my chair completely drained and exhausted from dancing and just taking in all the energy from the band. I looked over at my friend and said, “Well you ready to go?”. She began to laugh at me and said, “They play two sets!” I was hooked. Over sixty shows later I’ll be celebrating my 40th birthday with Phish tickets from my wife for summer tour 2013. I’m sure I’ll be drained by the end of the first set again. I always am! Thank you for reading my letter, and acknowledging what I already know is one of the greatest bands around. PHISH ON! Thanks again! Sincerely, Chris Littell (clcavsfan23@aol.com)

Todd Weiner June 25, 2013, 13:12:21

I fell in love with Phish in the Spring of 1991 when they performed on my college campus. I’ve seen the band at a couple of their festivals and anytime they are near for the last 22 years. Luckily I live in Colorado where they love to play. I’ve been lucky enough to witness their evolution and growth along with my own. To witness an art form evolve is a rare opportunity and likely is what brings most of us along. The prism the band offers into a glimpse of the greater culture is a phenomenal accomplishment and a unique opportunity for cultural transformation and personal growth. The band embodies all the technical prowess to achieve freedom to express the most beautiful moments. And yeah, I’ve got quite a few posters on the walls… :)

kip June 25, 2013, 13:19:47

so far there are 3 people who don’t know how to follow instructions, it says you need to fill out a form HERE and its underlined. how simple can it be?

Todd Weiner June 25, 2013, 13:23:56

No, actually, we are allowed to post comments here as well! Why the anger? This is a comment thread.

Adam June 25, 2013, 13:27:03

It was pretty clear, Todd, from the guy who started off “to whom it may concern” that people are thinking the comments section is THE form. Yeah Kip was a bit abrasive though :P

Nick Landess June 25, 2013, 13:34:20

@Chris Littell – I attended shows at the Cleveland Agora in … ’91? ’92? ’93? I “remember” one show in the theater and one show in the ballroom, but I was probably at all three – what a great place to see shows.

Dino Catozzo June 25, 2013, 13:40:11

Deadhead back in the early 90s. Saw tshirt and heard about this band outta Vermont. Got me curious. Picture of Nectar was just released. Went to my first show in 92. Will never forget traveling to Stony Brook from Hofstra and seeing them in the gymnasium there. I was hooked. They became my second band to the Dead. Dead tour Phish tour until Jerry left us. Then it was Phish and the funk bands, all out right up until this past weekend’s New Mastersounds shows in Chicago. Glad they’re touring so strong again. Go Phishing. It’s too good to miss.

Matthew Kaplan June 25, 2013, 14:35:07

I became a Phish fan not to long ago but fell in love really hard the first time I saw them, I’ve seen them 12x just in this past year and I’m my girlfriend and I are following them on tour this summer from New York-Chicago-Washington State-Lake Tahoe-San Fransico-Hollowood-Colorado. We’re driving all the way across country and back stoping by national parks and beautiful places along the way while following the greatest band… So grab your video camera and come join us!

Matthew Kaplan June 25, 2013, 14:35:09

Matthew Kaplan June 25, 2013, 14:35:09

steven m loucks June 25, 2013, 15:10:53

im 51 yrs old and have been enjoying phish for years, atleast 100 shows.started going to shows in 1994.Rochester Aud.then CMAC,VERY LONG TWEEZER lol..to clifford ball,grt went and so on to current and going to SPAC.I have an entire scrap book with tickets news clippings from from this long long road.even have the mail order ticks from clifford ball.also have archive phish shirts that i have saved over these years..also back in the 90’s my kids went to shows including great went,next year my children and their children are going to make me truly thrilled when we do some shows together,that will be 3 generations going. cant do it this year because my middle daughter is having her third baby this august..thanks for listening,steve

Steven Warner June 25, 2013, 15:20:26

Loyal follower since 1995. Doesn’t get any better than taking someone who has never been before to see the band. This has been my practice on tour each year.

chris hoyle June 25, 2013, 15:23:58

I became a fan 12/31/93..I became a phamily member the following summer. I have read 2 Phish books, been to almost 300 shows and have met Trey & Mike. They celebrate EVERY holiday with us, their phans…These guys have beautiful families and plenty of $. They do this because they truly believe “We’re ALL in this together” When they returned in 2009, the scalpers killed us but we have brought our kids to 20+ shows, they both have been inspired to play the guitar and Bass at 8&9…They started at 4&5. Trey has acknowledged my son at a TAB 2009 Boston show, and let him sit in front of the rail at Super Ball 9, 7/3/11. I bumped into Trey and talked about my son , he actually remembered my son and played “Meatstick” for him on 7/3/11…The scalpers have prevented my family from going to anymore shows and hope Phish starts to play home in New England some more..especially this Fall/Halloween?Dec because WE spread their music, we traveled from RI>MAFL>GA>NC>SC>VA>NY>ME>CA>CO>MI>WI>IL>IN…almost EVERY state. Scalpers and another baby(also a Phan) have stopped me from celebrating my 300th show..I am at 299 NOW. Trey also inspired me to get sober. Been sober since 8/19/08…my sons Birthday…God Bless Phish..PLEASEV PLAY RHODE ISLAND MORE...30th anniversary we will be scalped from seeing b ut it NEEDS to be in New England

Jennifer F. June 25, 2013, 15:26:25

I looooove phish! They are the probably the only band where I like 98% of their songs!!! Also, many fans of various bands only know the lead singer’s name…and don’t give a flying terd about the others…well not in this case. We phans understand that each member plays an integral part in the band’s ability to take you to another world (Storage Jam for example).
All in all, I love the whole experience (camping, eating, pooping in porta potties (jk)). When a person attends a phish show, they know its going to be a great day!! Except if you drink too much and not remember the show!! hahah

chris hoyle June 25, 2013, 15:30:57

Phan since 93…Nobody has seen this band grow like a fellow New Englander..they always play better here and Indoor Phish DESTROYS outdoor, if there is a Fall Tour..NOBODY will remember Dick’s this yr

Brian Trotter June 25, 2013, 15:39:16

It’s like being on a sports team only you have tens of thousands of teammates, there is no physical violence, aggression or any real competition whatsoever and “winning” means the band played great tonight and your surrounded by awesome people who love and appreciate you very much.

Tommy Hodges June 25, 2013, 16:29:32

Let me hear you say, “fskjlefhwaienufhconwianeufhcingweuasfvhsilcmdfilvcsfdhlihdsbflslvkslkcjhfcg!!!!!!”

Adam Honican June 25, 2013, 18:05:33

In 92’ I saw them at Dennison College for the first time. I didn’t recall that event until they released the music on livephish.com and the thing is in high school people were talking about them, I thought they were some local band of younger kids. I skipped school not knowing anything and was kind of mesmerized by this different kind of music, and to be honest I didn’t know if I liked them or not then. We walked into the little gym/arena and they were setting up some things. I talked to Trey for just a bit and to be honest he kind of came off with a not so great friendly attitude. Which I guess when trying to get things done it happens sometimes with all of us. Mike was really cool and laid back it seemed. No time for conversation though. When the rollerblades went on and Trey was whipping around playing guitar just astounded me. I thought who does this. I haven’t been to hundreds of shows like some people. I’ve ran into people that acted like I shouldn’t be there since I hadn’t been to so many shows. I don’t drive due to epilepsy and if I did I would see more shows. Relying on others can be a pain, so really it makes me appreciate every show so much more. Yeah Ive only seen 11 or 12 shows since 92’ , but it seems as if some of these shows were real gems. The fire alarm show here in Cincinnati at music hall was out of this world! I would go to shows this tour for sure but..since I don’t drive I miss out, but that’s life and everything happens for a reason I believe. I won four tickets last year here in Cincinnati and my sister did also!! She told me about the drawing. At first she didn’t think about signing up and I said go for it. She won also. I gave away some of my tickets to some people and my dear friend that I’ve known since 2nd grade got to see them because I won and we made it there paying 30 dollars to a woman for a ride.He has heard me talking about them for many years. She could of had a ticket , but she had other things in mind, I guess. I really wish I could go into more of my experiences with my few days with Phish, but I can’t go on forever on here. To the Phan’s out there I say respect others and just have fun. It’s really not about how many shows you have seen or how much you know. Though I am a avid chess player and wish I knew what the moves were made back in 95’ so I could replay them on my computer. Much Love all and enjoy this tour and many more, maybe I’ll see you at a show sometime! Phish On!!

shinymetalass June 25, 2013, 18:36:04

Fish is full of omega 3 fatty acids, ive like fish since a child!

Deb Leonard June 25, 2013, 18:50:36

I got married on 7-11-2000 at the Phishing show in Noblesville IN. Deercreek Amputheather.
Great run, we went to 11 shows on that summer tour!
My husband first saw and met the band in 1993. We are longtime loyal fans and have seen over 75 shows collectively.

Pat Dabney June 25, 2013, 19:00:21

It all starts off in the lot when me and my boys are in a circle poundin’ Busch Lights while were blastin’ Gumbo from my new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ya my Jeep is white and i know it gets dirty easily but fuck it, the bitches love that shit. As we pass around our fat fucking bottle of Absolute Strawberry, we just scope out hotties while we try to ward off all other loser Chads, as the bitches flock to my Jeep like a fucking watering hole in the desert. SLUTS. Me and my Bro’s don’t even head in until the 3rd song. As we walk in I stick in a fatty dip of grizzly bear and simultaneously smoke a cig and drink the rest of my warm Busch light. So were in the show. We start just pushing our way to the front. Lights. Trey. Black dude on drums. Jesus on Saxophone. SLUTS. By this point every song sounds just the fucking same as the other one. But I know Trey is fuggin killin’ it anyways. I grab this girl next to me and we makeout for a solid 15min during You Enjoy Myself. I finally push that bitch off and low and behold some other slut starts grabbin my ass. After that I head to the bathroom with my bros and wait in line for 20 mins. We head back to our spot and some jackass is standing there. I’m about to bust his ugly Ted Danson lookin’ face in, but before I can he whips out a joint and offers me and my crew to smoke up. He tells me he’s there watching his daughter and her friends that are all in high school. Next thing I know I wake up in my Jeep with my dick hanging out of my zipper. Now this has happened to me before so it doesn’t even phase me. I just pop in a sick 03’ CD and fucking cruise home.

joe June 25, 2013, 19:22:19

i saw phish about 20 times,
they sucked worse each time,
but i made alot of money
selling everything from falafal
to pharmies.
i will say this, they are better than any of this new techno shit.
at least they play instruments, dont push buttons.

Chaz Jones June 25, 2013, 20:00:15

One of the many reasons phish is incredible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGTvOXvsENM

puckhead June 25, 2013, 21:05:37

@joe you are a f*get and deserve to die. you probably like LIL WAYNE

Stacey June 25, 2013, 23:39:27

I didn’t name my daughter Piper, I didn’t name my dog Harpua, and I didn’t name my cat Posternutbag. I’m always thankful when the stars align in my life and I can catch a show. I’m a Phish fan…trust me.

Jaco Esquandolas June 26, 2013, 00:24:13

Do you like Phish? I’ve been a big Phish fan ever since the release of their 1994 album, Hoist. Before that, I really didn’t understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Hoist where Trey’s presence became more apparent. I think Down With Disease was the group’s undisputed masterpiece. It’s an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding four albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of McConnell, Fishman, Gordon and Anastasio. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Axilla. In this song, Trey Anastasio addresses the problems of abusive political authority. If I Could is the most moving pop song of the early 90s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I’ve heard in rock. Trey Anastasio’s solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like Scabbard and Traveler. But I also think Trey works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Demand, a great, great song, a personal favorite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6l5iFuJTVM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Brian "lightsaber" Roche June 26, 2013, 00:49:09

In a tour year long long ago there was a wondering jedi waiting to pass on a long tradition of the lightsaber. He was in the city of Portsmith Virgina. That day he felt the presence of the force strong with a jedi in training. That Jedi was known as “Big Red” aka Trey Anastatio. The first set was amazing! My lightsaber drew me to the rail “front row”. At that point I knew why the saber had brought me down. The first set had ended. I wondered around and found some fellow jedis. They all asked why I had my saber out. I told them the force had something powerful to do tonight. The lights dropped and big red walked out . They began to jam. My saber lit up and began walking me back to the rail. It was an easy stroll. People just parted as the blue saber glew in front of me. They I was. Saber in hand. Pandimania all around. Rager Tuckers on stage mooning peeps n rolling around on stage! It was time! Big Red walked over. He felt the power of the force in the saber. At that point he knew why the saber brought me to the front row! He took the saber from my hand. The power of the force took control! Big Red felt the force n began his training! He was a natural! Except for turning the saber on. Now my next quest is to get my saber back from Mike since he took it n never gave it back!!!!!!!;) there’s youtube footage of the handoff. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=h-YT5V5juPg

Armando June 26, 2013, 01:37:31

Guys, please fill out the “form” on the link provided. No?

GEEVALTRON June 26, 2013, 02:12:09

Pat Dabney has tron written all over it. The Ted Danson reference.

MarZaPhiGar June 26, 2013, 03:03:13

Friday, March 02, 1990. The quad outside the student union at SUNY New Paltz. An unseasonably warm day. I’m kickin it wif my bro, we’re both rockin tie dyes. This dude comes up, comments on our attire, and hands us a flier for a show at The Chance featuring this band that ‘we probably would like.’ Done. Next show: 05/02/90, @ the Living Room in Provy. Panic opened. Bouncer at the door had a huge spliff- either hit it, or you ain’t comin in!

glenn goodwin June 26, 2013, 04:17:54

Every Canadian Show I have seen. Proud to say that my wife and I are flying in from Belize to see the T,O show. Started in the 80’s and book ended Coventry and Hampton and a monumental fan. Very fortunate to have experienced a life I treasure so much and phish is a big part of it after all these years.

Dhrubo June 26, 2013, 06:22:37

I am from India and have been following Phish for past 12 years. Even had the fortune to see them live in 2011 at Charlotte and Raleigh. Owing to the distance, I am deprived of all live shows but thanks to jambands.com as I can follow them closely and bounce in my room :)

Jeffery (Jefe) Cohen June 26, 2013, 08:50:13

I became a Phish fan in 1992. My first show was in Kalamazoo, MI (12/10/12), which was a night complete with Simpson surprises and two barbershops with no mics. A group of dedicated MSU Spartans, myself, Nir, Boner, Cucco, Sless, among others, made the trip together from East Lansing and found our way to the front of the stage where we rocked the whole night through. Since then I have only had the chance to catch Phish or Trey on limited occasions as I have spent much of my life overseas in the Foreign Service; however, you would be surprised where you find some truly dedicated Phish fans, even in Lima, Peru where I am now I have come across diehards fans willing to stay up all night watching live streaming of shows on the web. My best show ever was the night Phish played in Pontiac, Mi on top of a Parking Garage during the World Cup in 1994 in the rain. However, my best memories of Phish came from enjoying the tunes in Bolivia with fellow Peace Corps Volunteers day dreaming of them coming to play a show for us in Palca, La Paz. It never happened, but the day dreams and the tunes got us through tough times in the high andes.

Susan DeRosa June 26, 2013, 09:28:02

In order to truly feel what PHISH does, you have to attend a concert. I am a single mother of 2 teenage boys. I listened to Phish when I was pregnant (during the release of Hoist CD) so it was no surprise, they grew up loving phish. It is the constant that has kept the 3 of us together. Phish concerts allowed us to enjoy life when everything around us was falling apart. I lost my job, subsequently lost our home, lived in despair, but there was always an upcoming Phish concert to allow us to forget for a while, and enjoy the beauty Trey, Gordo, Fish, and Paige (also Kris) provide. They are the perfect illustration of perseverance, and following your dream. They have values of respecting every living thing and acting responsibly. The people who attend Phish concerts are not like any other fan base; it’s like visiting thousands of friends at the same time. It is a blessing to have them in our lives. One of my top moments: My 2 boys and I brought beach balls, we put our song request “Axilla” on with a Sharpee. From the top of the rafters, our ball travelled down to the main floor, traveled throughout the stadium and made it to the stage! Trey saw the request, and they played the song for us…..Heaven!

joshua June 26, 2013, 10:36:10

Began my Phish journey in VT as a kiddo during 1993 when my good friend took off his dress and danced nude the entire show! From there I have been to over 40 shows across the nation and into Canada. My family applauded their ability to generate similar energy as Zappa and were grateful my generation had a band that could mix fun, tremendous talent and original-shows-night-in-night-out. They made it possible to musically-bond with my folks as they had stories of Zappa and Jerry shows and I could compare notes with stories of NYE in NY (1995) and 4HR shows that drove jamming to a new level. I live in Colorado now and get that Phever each summer! Can’t wait for the new memories at Dick’s – perhaps something odd will happen like in 2004 when I stood in line to take a piss with Mike G…we had an interesting chat while both bouncing up and down waiting for that ‘guy’ to finish up cause we had to go!

Eugene Hinesley June 26, 2013, 11:32:31

I have been listening and seeing Phish since ’96 and one of the main reasons is their fan base. I would say over 905 of the people I come across at Phish shows are loyal, intelligent, and very knowledgeable about music. Knowledgable about all kinds of music. Also, Phish fans have a very “Pay it forward” mentality. There festivals and camping events have the vibe of a family reunion. Everybody respects everyone and will help out when asked. I cant say that about all the other Jam Bands fan base. I am 51 and I will be seeing quite a few Phish shows this year and I know I will run into people that I met 15 years ago, no matter what town I am in. You cant say that for many other musical acts. Phish fans, like Phish music, are special and unique. Thanks PBS. Eugene Hinesley 512 466 1362

spikenyc June 26, 2013, 13:22:23

Your all a bunch of tools!

Tim June 26, 2013, 14:19:32

This is like some sort of awful, Phish Phan pissing contest.

Mr. Green June 26, 2013, 15:12:43

Lol at people posting their entries here. Especially the guy who put his phone number.

'Terrapin' Brad Sittloh July 4, 2013, 10:08:04

The first thing I did while coming out of my coma was mouth the lyrics to Phish…true story.

Nigel Tufnel July 5, 2013, 15:08:58

I love cod. I love tuna. -tuna FISH, it comes in those delightful little cans…. No bones!

Nigel Tufnel July 5, 2013, 15:09:03