Published: 2013/07/19

Furthur Cut Tonight’s Show Short Due to Weather

Furthur cut their performance short this evening due to weather-related issues. The Grateful Dead offshoot were in the middle of a show at Canandaigua, NY’s The Constellation Brands-Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center when they made the call.

A note from the band reads:

Hey, gang

Sorry we had to cut the show short tonight- there was an issue with the ongoing lightning strikes around the venue. As always, the first concern of the band, the promoters, and the venue is to protect the safety of the public; so when we were asked to stop the show and to ask you all to go to your cars and go home for your own safety, we agreed.

Thank you all for your understanding and patience, and may the four winds blow you safely home.

The band made it through their first set and part of their second set before making the call. Furthur will perform at Ohio’s All Good Festival tomorrow.

Here’s a look at tonight’s abbreviated set via Philzone.org

Friday, July 19,The Constellation Brands-Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center, Canandaigua, NY

Set I:

Jack Straw
Dupree’s Diamond Blues
My Brother Esau
Mason’s Children
Mission in the Rain
Box of Rain

Set II:
Playing in the Band >
Any Road
Mountains of the Moon
Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)

Comments

Simon Friedman July 20, 2013, 01:06:20

The Grateful Dead were in the middle of a performance? Has Jerry risen from the dead?

Josh July 20, 2013, 01:21:37

Yeah Simon haven’t you heard? He calls himself John Kadlecik now.

Gratefuldavid July 20, 2013, 02:16:35

Simon, are you lacking in reading comprehension skills?

steve July 20, 2013, 03:34:53

from what I hear(assume its rumor) the rest of the set would have been
Viola Lee, Days Between —> Terrapin Flyer. E: Liberty

grizzly July 20, 2013, 07:43:56

my only problem with what both bands did is this: if you see the storm coming, why not shorten set break so you can play more music before ending the show? you cant tell me that nobody saw this coming with phish considering they only played about 10 minutes of the 2nd set. Maybe take a 10 minute break at end of 1st set, instead of 30…and give the fans a bit more before ending the evening….

A West July 20, 2013, 10:11:27

I believe almost everything related to the show is dictated by contracts and management…everything from the brand of bottled water served backstage to the length of the set-break.

Chet July 20, 2013, 10:32:23

Sad, Sad, Sad!! My first show was 7/10/89 Giants and there was a hurricane warning, lots of lightning, tons of wind and rain-set break came and the promoter announced the weather bureau statement-but they kept playing!!!! Why has cooperate America gotten so fukkn sensitive-for god sakes-they boys would never have stopped a show!!

In the business July 20, 2013, 11:00:09

This is why.

Mikey July 20, 2013, 11:30:10

Here’s a good one… We were told to go to the car and drive home, and you could see the lightning headed towards the venue. Some including myself exited stage left which puts you on the opposite side of the venue than the parking area. When realizing this, the remedy would be to go back into the place and leave where you should…. Security would not let these folks back in and many of us were told to “ follow the path through the woods” to the lot. Turns out it was a blackened path with people trying to figure out which way to go , lost in the woods during a lightning storm…. I found it not to be a big deal, but had to talk a few panic stricken folks down because of this simple logistics problem. My thoughts were, “ Sure lets take these kids and take them from a stable covered structure, and put them under some trees during a lightning storm “ ... Very exciting for me, but pretty scary for most of those “guests” wandering around… lost in the woods.

Chet July 20, 2013, 11:35:56

Yea-thats Indiana state fair with Sugarfoot?! This is PHISH and FURTHER I’m sure they make as much in 1 show as the sugarthing makes all year-point being they have better quality stuff-its not their first rodeo, cowboy!

Mikey July 20, 2013, 11:36:01

Oh yeah, how about a refund ??? Somebody’s making some big bucks on these productions, and could afford to compensate …. How about a Rain-Check .

mikey July 20, 2013, 11:37:55

Chet is right…. This was a secure building, not a fairground stage…..

Haus July 20, 2013, 12:16:36

The set break was 50 min they should have cut it short to get the audience they’re monies worth. We had a long treck from VA do it was all the more dissapointing. That’s life

Capt Patrick July 20, 2013, 11:53:46

I was at the show. It was a great set, as suggested as suggested above it would have been great to hear Terrapin. Leaving the parking lot was a huge cluster.

Andrew July 20, 2013, 13:26:37

The set may have gotten cut short, but the music was insane!! It sounded as if Jerry had taken control of Johnny k’s mind, very eerie. Despite the circumstances, I had a great time!

Doug July 20, 2013, 13:57:51

This venue and county authorities for that matter, are known for blunders… I doubt they would have pulled the plug if it were Tim McGraw n Faith hill or Kenny Chesney for example. They in my opinion did do just that… Forced people out into a much dangerous situation. Wonder how many accidents were caused by flooding the roads with cars of disappointed fans. The band seemed to want to play on then Phil’s fan went off…. I believe cmac did not give the band any option. Did anyone notice they did not shut down the vendors? Enticing fans to stay eat drink and buy merchandise outside the shell is not the action the venue should take if the people are in dangers way. Come to expect more of the same at cmac for phish and other related jam bands. If I were further I would boycott this venue. As for me this was my last show at cmac… Even if they brought Jerry back from the dead you can count me out… A sea of cops and security is not my idea of a fun time…. Feels like nazi germany

Doug July 20, 2013, 13:57:52

Marc July 20, 2013, 14:20:14

This was total BS. Lightning in the distance – big deal. Same thunderstorms we have every summer night in Central New York. Certainly not a major storm by any stretch. In a similar situation a few years ago (Ratdog and String Cheese at CMAC), with a much worse storm, the action taken was to let the lawn people into the shed and keep the show going. There was no danger in the shed – only outside (where they made us go). I want my money back.

Sweetness July 20, 2013, 16:19:59

“as if Jerry had taken control of Johnny k’s mind”??? John is attempting to imitate…that is the career he has made for himself. So glad I didn’t go to this after all and after a lot of consideration. The last few Furthur shows I saw were a sad scene with little improvisation and creativity. Decided to cherish my memories and move on.

Minus12Minus12 July 20, 2013, 16:44:29

I went to Maryland’s Merryweather Post Pavilion in 1983 or so in order to attend quite the moist performance. Lightning struck the dang sound stage! It hit right when the boys were crescendoing “Truckin’” and the electricity went out for a split second. Although you could hear Bill’s symbols in the silence. Then the power went back on and BOOM— Phil played off the thunder. Guess you had to be there.

iJihn July 20, 2013, 19:00:06

Oh man, its just like those guys to be all like “I dont wanna get electrocuted, I dont want people people to panic and stampede if it gets bad, Oooh look at me..I am dry in my hotel room. OOhh” Come on. Grow some pairs. .................. Pairs of tires to put on the stage! Its not rocket science man, its electricity science.

wsouthteacher July 20, 2013, 19:17:44

SPAC, like ’86 or ’87 or something. Stevie Ray Vaughan “Couldn’t Stand the Weather” while lightning cracked all around us in the trees like the devil’s own peanuts. Now THAT was a show.

cosmic charlie July 20, 2013, 21:59:42

Good call!! I saw way too much crazy shit in 95!! they gave us heads another day to live to catch another show!!

Fili123 July 21, 2013, 00:54:23

It was a ridiculous call to send a few thousand drunk and whatnot people to their cars two songs into second set. More than sad was nothing other than this lame statement from the band . Give a refund, 1 hr first set 65 minute set break, ~ 15 minute second set, goodbye,
Phish played an extra set tonight to make it up to the phans. Sadly I don’t see any of the love coming back from what’s left of the dead.

Jerry Fulmet July 21, 2013, 09:58:26

I was there at CMAC yes it was a drag considering where they were heading and then to not hear to get to hear it. Now it would be cool if next year they would start with the rest of the unfinished set. With that said what I heard was amazing they opened with the greatest Jack Straw and what a first set. I read posts about the set list that it lookrd like the sets were shorter not so from what I could see they were really jamming on songs every song was at least ten minutes or more. I listened to the cd’s of the show and over all I’m glad I went. The band was hot once again Jeff burned those keyboards up he is the best amazing talent. Now I felt that John is starting to find his own voice and Bobby sounded so good his vocals sounded like the years just mended away. Great Box of Rain by Phil. I felt bad for the band that were cooking and had to stop.

Joshua Katt July 21, 2013, 11:21:42

Was there. Absurd the way it was handled, weather blown out of proportion. Yes it rained a little bit on the ride home but never an major issue for the 30 mile drive back to my hotel. Drove 400 miles each way enduring massive traffic in/out of NYC for a 3rd row center seat I’ll never get again. If weather was truly a concern then skip the hour long break (as they did in Shawnee, FL twice in April 2012). Can’t imagine the band’s cut of the absurdly priced concessions are much, I snuck in my own and didn’t spend a dime inside, as usual. My egress was easy since I paid a private party $10 to park right on the road, but feel for the people wandering in the woods and the massive jam that had to result. How was this safer than just staying put??? I don’t blame the band, the music was awesome, what little there was of it. Will never attend an event here again, please don’t call it by its corporate shill name, its really the Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center…

Dick July 21, 2013, 17:35:39

That’s Live Oak, FL, not Shawnee. As long as we’re nitpicking names of places. Also, Wanee is a festival setting, and Furthur was not headlining those shows. They were hurrying to meet their time constraint in light of the Allmans being scheduled to close those shows. Apples and Oranges, Joshua Katt.

Joshua Katt July 21, 2013, 21:31:25

Thanks for the geography lesson. Just pointing out as someone who was actually there that it was a completely unnecessary clusterf**k. Had there been a real concern for the fans, the management, the owners, promoters, whatever should have convinced the band to skip or reduce the hour long break, given the forecasts and my god, rare summer night thunderstorm!!! And the band was smokin and were probably just as much disappointed despite play their 4th straight show out of 5 nights with significant distances between? Finally, anyone also notice the sets are much shorter this time around, down from 20-21 songs to 15-16?

Mikey July 22, 2013, 03:05:45

Mikey Randels ,” If you click on the photo below, there is a satellite view of the venue. We evacuated the building as ordered. Upon exiting it became obvious to a large amount of people that they had been forced out the wrong exit, ( on the right side of the building, opposite the large parking lot ) I made it about 50 yards and realized what had happened. We returned to the exit , to re-enter and go out the opposite exit. The guy at the exit said that we were not permitted to do this and people were told to “ take the trail through the woods”. This was to be across from the very end of the small parking lot in the far right of the photo. Notice the gravel road that goes into the woods and how much Furthur away it is than the Main Parking Lot. There is a hefty field to walk through, as well as a nice dark patch of woods with trails going every where. There’s even a swamp/bog I noticed on the map. We missed that. It was totally pitch black and the trail had some nice muddy hills from the rain, ( my buddy took a nice mud-slide down one into some poison ivy ) . Funny we even ran into one stretch of trail that was being re-done… There were mulch piles about 4 feet high in the middle of the trail every 10 feet or so… must have been a dozen of them to walk over … The lightning was the only way to see the way, and there was plenty of it. Somewhat strange they would cancel a show because of a lightning storm, then send the “ guests” right out into one. Truly everything DOES work in opposites at times. Nothing like a nice hike through an obstacle course in the pitch-black darkness during a deadly lightning storm.. What an adventure!!! I thought it was the highlight of the show myself, no kidding “ ... http://goo.gl/m5jEM

cbear July 22, 2013, 12:39:11

Been going to shows since early 80’s. Shame on Bobby/Phil and the Furthur Team for this joke of a show! WTF.

Jason July 22, 2013, 14:12:33

I too am extremely upset at how the CMAC evacuation was handled. This is not a place that should be serving alcohol if they are going to force people out like that. I already filed a complaint with the New York State Liquor Authority and am going to try and get their occupancy and entertainment liscences. I urge all of you who also feel CMAC put us all at great harm to do the same.

Joshua Katt July 22, 2013, 14:28:50

Mikey, the map & explanation of your journey really puts it into perspective. That is a HUGE walk in the dark, thank god for the lightening to see a little bit. What a huge risk & liability right there. Still a huge ClusterF**K, there is no emergency / contingency / evacuation plan at this venue? It never had to be evacuated before? Sounds like you screwed up by not paying the $20 to park in the close lots or valet!! (jk). Well someone has to pay for those naming rights. I don’t blame the band, the venue was just out to squeeze the fan any way the could. Too bad, it was such a nice place my first visit in 1991…

toughjuice July 22, 2013, 21:17:42

Don’t blame the band. Look at the video, it was out of their control. It was raining sideways over here in CNY. Sounds like CMAC FLPAC is unprepared for emergency management. Shame on them!

dk70 July 23, 2013, 14:41:36

“If the thunder don’t get then the remote possiblity of lighting will.”

Regina Mowry July 24, 2013, 11:38:19

I dont blame anyone for stopping the show. I wouldn’t call it a secure building. ..it was a huge metal frame that covered only half the crowd. Doesn’t anyone remember from 5th grade science that lightning is more likely to strike metal than anything? Maybe if it was a huge rubber building but it wasnt….CMACs evacuation was piss poor. We were able to cut back through after everyone pretty much was cleared out. We still had some snot nose security guard in our face thinking he was tough. Get a real job. Maybe CMAC should take a lesson on how to gently handle a large crowd of people whose trip just abruptly ended so their mind was shook down to their core. Ever deal with a freaked out person tripping their balls off lost in a lightning storm? No? Then you shouldn’t be in charge of anything at a Furthur show.

Joshua Katt July 24, 2013, 13:43:16

Metal structures like these most definitely grounded against a lightning strike as all buildings are. Again, not blaming the band but these storms didn’t just pop up and if there was any chance of curtailing the show, Futhur should have foregone the break and played straight through. Yes, not tradition, but has been done before… 95% of other acts seem to do it OK.