Published: 2013/07/23

Phish Finally Make It to Toronto

Last night, Phish finally made it to the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto following the postponement of their previously scheduled July 9 show. The concert itself was somewhat underwhelming given the high expectations for a rescheduled, international gig. Especially when that gig follows a run that included a three-set performance and a rendition of “Harpua” with the Second City cast.

The band kicked off their first Canadian show in 13 years with their first “The Moma Dance” opener in 13 years. “Chalk Dust Torture” then followed before the band performed the first “Undermind” of the tour. “Halley’s Comet” played into “Twist” during the middle of the set, which later featured a solid version of “Stash” followed by the new Mike Gordon tune, “Yarmouth Road.” The first set came to a close with a great “Ocelot” before going into a rendition of the always-fun “Suzy Greenberg.”

While the first set was kind of slow out the gate, the second set started off with a bang, as Phish began with a fantastic, almost 20-minute “Down with Disease” that played into “2001” and then “Free.” “Tweezer” came in the middle of the set before the band transitioned into “Silent in the Morning,” the third time this tour that Phish has gone into the song without first playing it’s companion piece, “Horse.” “Backwards Down the Number Line” then brought down the energy level before a decent “Cavern” turned into a stellar set-closing “David Bowie.”

Phish then wrapped up the show with a three song encore that began with a take on The Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street classic “Loving Cup.” Next came the tour debut of “The Squirming Coil” before the show came to a close with a predictable “Tweezer Reprise.”

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Phish.net

Monday, July 22, 2013, Phish, Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto, ON

Set I: The Moma Dance, Chalk Dust Torture, Undermind, Army of One, Halley’s Comet > Twist, Bouncing Around the Room, Stash, Yarmouth Road, Tube, Ocelot, Suzy Greenberg

Set II: Down with Disease > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Free > Piper > Tweezer > Silent in the Morning, Backwards Down the Number Line > Cavern > David Bowie

E: Loving Cup, The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise

Comments

Eric July 23, 2013, 10:47:23

The best thing about Tweezer Reprise is that it’s a great song for beating the traffic.

Matt July 23, 2013, 12:04:21

Why are you in such a rush? Enjoy your time with Phish while you are there. You never know how long things last!

Eric July 23, 2013, 12:06:31

Interesting question, have they ever played anything after Tweezer Reprise? My guess is no.

Eric July 23, 2013, 12:06:32

ProfessorFrink July 23, 2013, 12:57:59

Eric—NYE 2012.

Shloof July 23, 2013, 13:00:25

Um. The first was a bit slow, but that Stash was exceptional. From all accounts the Ocelot ended on fire, and the house was jamming hard to that Suzy Greenberg. Any complaints about the second set are just ridiculous. For my ears, it was the best second set of the tour, rivalling maybe only 7-6-13. I’ve heard 100s of Tweezers and Bowies and both were out of bounds. How often do you get a triple encore?

tmwsiy July 23, 2013, 13:11:56

many times has reprise been followed by other songs. http://phish.net/song/tweezer-reprise including the very first performance (which I’m happy I witnessed) in which reprise came right after Tweezer in first set.

paulfrombuffalo July 23, 2013, 14:03:05

Many mind melting moments last night > after all these years that band can still do it better than anyone. Now believers need not apply – If you like Phish, we still get to see shows like last night – how lucky!!!

paulfrombuffalo July 23, 2013, 14:15:35

above should read “non-believers” – sorry! Brain still a bit twisted from yesterday

NKP July 23, 2013, 14:42:22

Underwhelming? I disagree.

Eric July 23, 2013, 15:17:33

Interesting, I guess I’m wrong. But when I hear it as 2nd song of the encore I’m pretty sure that’s it so I bolt, but I can still hear it on my way out, just how I roll.

Ivan July 23, 2013, 16:38:07

they play tweezer reprise 2x, back-to-back at SPAC ... and it was awesome!

Matt July 23, 2013, 18:28:00

Underwhelming? Are you high? Were you there? I can’t believe that a news piece on jambands.com has the same whiney tone that so many of the haters are spreading on message boards everywhere. What, if anything, made that show underwhelming for you? Is a three song encore perhaps not enough? A legendary Bowie&Disease not good enough? I just can’t for the life of me understand why long-standing fans feel the need to dump on Phish these days. You thought they would play three sets like in Chicago? That doesn’t even make sense. If you’re seeking out the ‘perfect’ show every time, it probably won’t happen. Why would you not focus on the many ‘overwhelming’ parts of an awesome show and make THAT your headline?

lafz July 23, 2013, 19:14:36

jamband pull your head out of your arse… that was a killer show. good solid groove the whole show. Matt. is totally right!!

puckhead July 24, 2013, 02:49:38

@Eric, honestly man if you are in a rush to leave a phish show that is kind of pathetic. maybe a sporting event when your team is getting their ass kicked, but not a phish show, whatever tho

Bob Weaver July 24, 2013, 22:33:56

This review is the only thing underwhelming.