Published: 2013/08/07

Robbie Robertson Comments on the Passing of Elizabeth Danko

The Band guitarist Robbie Robertson has commented on the passing of Elizabeth Danko. The wife of The Band bassist Rick Danko passed away last week.

Robertson’s post on Facebook reads:

Elizabeth and Rick were true partners—in life. They balanced each other and she was dedicated to taking care of Rick the very best she could. In the last years I saw Rick up in Woodstock. I’d be there mixing a new record and he would say, ‘Can you play some of your new songs for Elizabeth?’ I loved playing my new music for Elizabeth…. she knew what I was reaching for. Miss my old friends Bless her soul. Thoughts and prayers from our family to hers. I hope she’ll be taking care of Rick once again…. Robbie

Elizabeth Danko plays a prominent role in the new documentary Ain’t in It for My Health: A Film About Levon Helm. In the film, she was shown living in a senior citizens home in the Woodstock, NY area.

Comments

Cat August 13, 2013, 02:14:56

why does he have to make it all about him? “she knew what I was reaching for”, Rick asked him to play his new songs for her.
How about making it about Elizabeth instead of about Robbie. He did the same thing at Rick’s funeral.

L. A. Bob August 15, 2013, 16:42:00

“Elizabeth Rest In Peace” Your Finally Back With Your Other Half Rick!! I was part of Production for The Band when Blondie Chaplin & The Cate Bros. Band made up The Band and also did The Byrds Reunion Tour. Rick and Myself spent a lot of time together on the road going between The Band & Byrds Tours that we became roommates on the road. I met Elizabeth at their home in Bearsville N.Y. I remember her telling me that I was with Rick more then she was but it was ok because she ended it that Rick was into “Chickens”!! I replied say what!! lol I also saw a side of Rick that blew me away meaning I only saw Rick Danko Rock Star & Legend. When I was at Rick & Elizabeth’s I met Rick Danko The Family Man which he kept private, Elizabeth took care of Family, Home, And Rick both at Home & Business. They were a team she will be missed & Be part of my Special Memories of working with The Band. R.I.P. Elizabeth (A Very Special Lady) Bob Schroeder aka L. A. Bob

Ed August 31, 2013, 23:58:40

Cat is on the money. Every time Robbie comments on a former bandmate, it is all about him. Same when Levon died. He can’t see past his own huge ego. What a complete shit.

Paul September 10, 2013, 14:24:59

I couldn’t agree more. This man thinks that The Band was him and everything revolved around him. Hey Robbie! The other four were better musicians, they had MUCH better voices than you and they ended up with not much because you screwed them out of their rightful songwriting credits. F him!

michael November 16, 2013, 18:55:04

i grew up in up state ny, kingston saugerties woodstock area.grief has many faces,step back one life love all. time heals only rolling stones waste energy talk it out!

Dennis December 2, 2013, 13:27:05

It was lonely and sad being the only folks visiting the Danko’s (and Levon) in the cemetery this past Thanksgiving morning, but it’s sadder still that with the passing of this lady, a friend to many in my town, that some who never knew or worked with these gentlemen and their families, would take this sad moment to degrade Mr. Robertson for his reflections on her passing, rather than celebrating the great vibes she encouraged her husband to bring to our planet.

kevin February 1, 2014, 22:59:52

Robbie Robertson never spoke for The Band as far as I am concerned. I wouldn’t trade Levon or the Rick Danko or any of the other guys for ten Robbies.