Published: 2013/08/08

Humble Pie Releasing Rockin’ The Fillmore Box Set

Omnivore Records are about to release Humble Pie’s Rockin’ The Fillmore for the first time ever as a four-disc box set on October 29. The set features features recordings of all four shows that the band played at the Fillmore East on May 28 and 29, 1971, with no editing or re-sequencing. The seven tracks that made up the original album are now accompanied by 15 previously unissued tracks, including the complete, never-before-heard first set from May 28. The compilation was produced by original Humble Pie members Peter Frampton and Jerry Shirley, with A&R coordination from Bill Levenson and Cheryl Pawelski and detailed liner notes by Tim Cohan.

Performance: Rockin’ The Fillmore was originally released a double LP in 1971. The album was the band’s first to break into the Top 40 and features stretched out covers of Dr. John’s “I Walk on Gilded Splinters” and Ray Charles’ “I Don’t Need No Doctor.”

__Rockin’ The Fillmore_ box set tracklist:

Disc One
5/28/71 Friday, First Show
1. Four Day Creep
2. I’m Ready
3. I Walk On Gilded Splinters
4. Hallelujah (I Love Her So)
5. I Don’t Need No Doctor

Disc Two
5/28/71 Friday, Second Show
1. Four Day Creep
2. I’m Ready
3. I Walk On Gilded Splinters
4. Hallelujah (I Love Her So)
5. Rollin’ Stone
6. I Don’t Need No Doctor

Disc Three
5/29/71 Saturday, First Show
1. Four Day Creep
2. I’m Ready
3. I Walk On Gilded Splinters
4. Hallelujah (I Love Her So)
5. Stone Cold Fever

Disc Four
5/29/71 Saturday, Second Show
1. Four Day Creep
2. I’m Ready
3. I Walk On Gilded Splinters
4. Hallelujah (I Love Her So)
5. Rollin’ Stone
6. I Don’t Need No Doctor

Comments

jackie August 9, 2013, 07:47:25

My Grandma is gonna be pumped!!

Rich August 9, 2013, 09:59:06

Didn’t Penny Lane go on tour with them in exchange for a case of beer from Stillwater?

STEAM August 9, 2013, 12:19:47

Where’s Stone Cold Fever?

dave the slave August 9, 2013, 14:52:20

I think the Ray Charles song is Halleluiah I love her so. Not I don’t need no doctor.

HORATIO GATES August 11, 2013, 00:55:29

Amazingly talented band with a limited set list either by choice or design.

dtr October 26, 2013, 05:13:06

If you need to ask why then you don’t understand the music of Humble Pie. Hallelujah (I Love Her So) & I Don’t Need No Doctor are both Ray Charles tunes as well as Blues To My Soul, I Wonder, etc. Marriott was hooked on soul & therefore performed many of Ray Charles’ songs. As far as the set list, keep in mind that several of these songs were jams that went on for 15-20 mins plus shows at the Fillmore would have 3-4 acts a nite & each band was doing 2 shows a nite. Also, don’t forget that except for Led Zeppelin, bands weren’t doing 2-3 hr shows in the late ’60’s & early ’70’s. Even as late as ’77 the Stones were still doing their 20-25 min shows. Humble Pie is one seriously overlooked band.

Ben August 8, 2013, 18:30:27

The name of this box set should be called REDUNDANCY LIVE!!

Will August 8, 2013, 18:47:02

Why?

Dan August 8, 2013, 19:08:21

Woohoo!!! can’t wait!! the sound quality on the Fillmore disc is just so bad, I can’t wait to hear it remastered properly. The other performances are just a bonus!