Published: 2013/08/19

Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cancel North American Tour

Neil Young & Crazy Horse regretfully have cancelled their North American tour due to a hand injury sustained by guitarist Poncho Sampredo. The cancellation comes shortly after the band canceled their European tour. His doctor has indicated that Sampredo’s hand requires additional time to heal properly.

“We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes to our fans or the Festivals where we were scheduled to appear,” the band has said in a statement. “As you must be, we too are disappointed at this unfortunate turn of events.”

The band’s cancelled shows includes stops at Port Chester, NY’s Capitol Theatre and the first Lockn’ Music Festival.

Here’s a look at Crazy Horse’s cancelled US performances

August 31 Dundas, ON—Greenbelt Harvest Picnic
September 2 Port Chester, NY—Capitol Theatre
September 4 Ottawa, ON—Ottawa Folk Festival
September 7 Arrington, VA—Lockn’ Music Festival

Comments

Zippy Deal August 19, 2013, 16:01:35

No beating a dead crazy horse INTERLOCKEDUP if the thunder don’t get ya then the LOCKN will Neil is saving a bunch of kids lives no suicide monday

Zippy Deal August 19, 2013, 16:01:35

Paul King August 19, 2013, 16:17:45

“It’s better to burn out than to rust…” I think Neil is burned out. Like he or Crazy Horse can’t find a guitarest to sit in? Or maybe even find someone to rise to the occassion… sad, disappointed- putting my Neil Young CD’s back in mothballs….

IrieMeditation August 19, 2013, 16:20:18

Jonny,
You’re right. He’s just jealous of how much fun we’re all gonna have out there on the farm, while he’s at home… It sucks that Neil Young won’t be there but it’s still gonna be a lot of fun!

ElectricTribesman August 19, 2013, 16:38:32

The Horse is The Horse. You don’t just get someone to sit in.

NCSpacey August 19, 2013, 17:10:10

If I were NY, I wouldn’t EVER play for any of you whiners. The tour is NY and Crazy Horse. It isn’t NY, it isn’t half of Crazy Horse. It’s BOTH. Get well soon, Poncho!

J August 19, 2013, 17:26:10

warren!

Pailfacebrad August 19, 2013, 17:29:21

Get well soon Poncho!! I have seen NY with crazy horse everytime they pass by me. I have also seen Warren Haynes many times. The chemistry that Crazy Horse has onstage is what it’s all about you can’t sub that in. Crazy Horse is one of the finest bar bands on a big stage alive. Can’t wait to see the horse ride again!

marc sharc August 19, 2013, 17:36:40

What’s Nils doing?

Jim D August 19, 2013, 18:10:29

Poncho Sampredo is great, but not irreplaceable. Neil and Crazy Horse should get another great guitarist and go on with the show. I have tickets for 9/2 and family are flying in to join us. It is not appropriate to cancel the tour.

No doubt August 19, 2013, 18:26:14

Nils use to be in Crazy Horse. Bruce is not busy those days? Come on make an effort, or don’t book gigs with the band you are burning out with. Ham sandwich

Jeremy Occhipinti August 19, 2013, 18:35:57

Sad to hear the news. So, the question becomes… who will fill their spot at Lockin? Here’s my wish list: 1. Neil and Friends
2. Phil and Friends
3. Kmock and Friends
4. Railroad Earth with Bruce Hornsby
5. Yonder Mountain String Band

carolinaphil August 19, 2013, 19:14:22

Forget the egos and let it be:
Crosby, Stills, Nash , & YOUNG
A-men carolinaphil

bobby's oxycotton August 19, 2013, 19:15:07

booby weir could have filled in for paco

Joshua Katt August 19, 2013, 19:34:12

Well my tickets are $1,054.00 (yes a $55 convenience fee on top of any price that could have pulled out of thin air). Times TWO. Seems ridiculous that someone couldn’t have sat in. I do hope someone of similar caliber is being considered to replace. We believe in you Peter S!

Marc August 19, 2013, 20:20:49

Sorry they can’t play, glad they have integrity, I would’ve expected nothing less

Enigmatic Recluse August 19, 2013, 20:58:02

CH without Poncho ain’t CH. People need to quit whining and get over it. The man got hurt, they decided not to go on with the show. I’m sure they are aware they could have found someone but this “Warren could have sat in” is just ridiculous. Not that he isn’t up to it musically, it’s just not reasonable to ask for that. He has his thing to do. Just because he has a reputation as the hardest working man in jam land doesn’t mean he has to come to rescue every time someone gets hurt. And whoever asked for Nil Lofgren, Bruce is in South American this month. It’s just one show. If it is that big a deal to you, you need to get a life.

Kathy August 19, 2013, 21:07:07

I hope something changes before the Harvest Fest as we bought my 85yr, old dad a ticket for Fathers Day and he was really looking forward to it. Us as well. Okay Dan step up to the plate, since you produced his last album I know you can play guitar for him. Or have Neil and his wife play together….do something PLEASE!!!!

Lee August 19, 2013, 21:07:27

I’m going to get crazy horse yelling at the top of my lungs that Neil Young sucks having cancelled Interlocken Festival in Virginia 9/7 because an guitar player is injured. Why can’t he get a substitute or even play solo for it? Why would he do this to his fans?If he wanted to he can still find a way to play! I say Boycott him henceforth if he treats fans this way.

Johnny G August 19, 2013, 21:22:48

Bottom line is you cannot have NY & CH without Poncho.
This is not a NY & Friends tour.
No one can sit in for Poncho!
Just hope this is not the end of CH. As for me, I had floor for The Capitol Theater and am bummed out. But happy to have been on the Alchemy ride in NY & Dublin. I’m looking forward to “Live Alchemy” in theaters a la “Rust” and hoping the Horse gallops in 2014.

Toni August 19, 2013, 22:37:16

Neil Young and Crazy Horse without Poncho is like PB&J without the bread.

timmy August 19, 2013, 22:52:27

I definitely understand the cancellation, due to injury. Shit happens, get over it. That being said, there should be some last minute scrambling for a replacement at Lockin. Phil and Friends with Warren seems like the most logical since most of them will be there anyway. How about Neil Young with Pearl Jam, or another lineup? Probably won’t happen but would be pretty awesome.

douglas vlad August 19, 2013, 23:01:15

it’s the thing to do nowadays. Think of the People who got Bonnaroo tickets to see Mumford and Sons. They canceled because of their Bass player. Pouncho is releasing a solo album. He needs to be in shape to tour for that. NY could still play. Maybe he could do a one off with BS. He said he was gonna tour with them again

brotherbill August 20, 2013, 00:34:26

3 sets of Panic with Neil sittin’ in?

Scott Crawford August 20, 2013, 01:40:28

Buffalo Springfield Reunion! You’ve been thinking about it Neil!

Big dog August 20, 2013, 07:32:32

Bring on the Brothers! Would make a great fest greater

Jbalogna August 20, 2013, 08:51:26

My guess is that since Peggi will still be at lockn so will Neil, they are trying to figure out how to word the change without sounding like a bunch of idiots. I am sure that every guitar player in every other band at lockn has offered to sit in. Obviously they wouldnt book it with CH. My vote is let pearl jam back him up. If he snubs the whole thing, call Jimmy Page

jzara August 20, 2013, 10:59:51

OK all you folks saying “no one can replace Poncho!” Isn’t Poncho himself a replacement guitar player?

eric kling August 20, 2013, 12:20:01

Niel could have done just niel shows. replacements may have worked, bobby weir.rust niel and horse, rust

jzara August 20, 2013, 12:24:48

Jeff Sipe Trio and Jorma Kaukonen both have Lockn’ on their tour schedules web pages. No official announcement yet.

Big dog August 20, 2013, 13:09:34

Bring on the Brothers! Would make a great fest greater

John August 21, 2013, 13:25:36

Cancelling was the right thing to do. I would rather get a full or partial refund than see Neil, Billy, ralph and some other dude. Neil and Horse are unique in their ability to play and jam together. Without Poncho, you do not have Crazy Horse.

tom peacock August 22, 2013, 16:42:10

I am yet another fool that bought tickets for the Harvest Greenbelt rip off 2013.
With Neil ou tour 311 dollars tickets (2) are worth 231 dollars, so I guess Neil was only worth 40 dollars.
I wouldn’t mind seeing the remainder of the bands but like almost everyone I know that bought tix we are boycotting the show and Lanois and Gauthier will never worry about my money again. They are complete charlatans and thieves in my opinion for the way they handled this situation. I will only ever buy from scalpers now. Piss off to the promoters of the Picnic and see what 2014 will bring, you are done in the Hammer Jackalopes.

Janet Lynn August 24, 2013, 02:41:29

The show will go on sooner or later. I have faith in Neil & Crazy Horse

Janet Lynn August 24, 2013, 02:43:53

The show will go on sooner or later. I have faith in Neil & Crazy Horse

Linda W. August 26, 2013, 16:39:21

Neil Young cancelled his Liverpool, UK show one week before it was due..I am positive that the fans who were eagerly waiting for the gig would have loved him to do it solo or with a replacement guitarist. As good as Poncho and Neil’s chemistry is, Neil is the one we want to see. I don’t doubt the injury but I do think they are tired and bailed out rather than give the fans something…very disappointing, I fear they won’t come back now!

Brian August 30, 2013, 18:35:36

Some people need to check their nonsense. Neil is the f’n man and can do what he wants. Seen him 4x and never caught anything less than an A+ show. With or without Crazy Horse he can bring it down. Still, if he doesn’t want to, or can’t, who are any of us to question him? JK But not really. He is a freakin legend. We are people on the Internet.

soul stu August 19, 2013, 15:16:27

That REALLY sucks!! Sorry for the injury, heal up Pancho!! Crazyhorse is the baddest rock band alive!

soul stu August 19, 2013, 15:16:36

ultimatelywhogivesafuck August 19, 2013, 15:21:43

More like sorry Interlockin greedy fucks…YOUR FESTY IS CURSED!! HA HA HA

bill faas August 19, 2013, 15:29:26

neil young acousitc maybe ?! might as well ask !

Matthew August 19, 2013, 15:42:24

It’s not like Warren couldn’t sit in. Don’t be a puss.

Jonny August 19, 2013, 15:46:16

I am confused by you ‘greedy cursed’ post – i bought my ticket to lockn for 199 – and the current tickets are still way cheaper than the likes of bonnaroo or coachella….perhaps it is you who are confused to say the least…