Published: 2013/08/21

Phish Asked Peter Gabriel to Perform a Genesis Album with Them on Halloween

Phish have Genesis’ The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway on their short list of Halloween album covers, according to a Trey Anastasio interview with Rolling Stone. The article points that Phish reached out to Gabriel about covering a classic Genesis album in 2010. Anastasio goes on to says, . “I can play [ The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway ] in my sleep, but we’ll only do it if [Gabriel] does it with us. Peter Gabriel, if you want to do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway with us this Halloween, we’re your band. You heard it here first.”

Anastasio inducted Genesis into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010, and Phish performed the band’s songs “Watcher of the Skies” and “No Reply At All” at the induction ceremony (though they have yet to perform the tunes again.) They also worked on 2004’s Undermind at Gabriel’s studio.

“I’m such a big fan of Peter Gabriel, I can’t even begin to tell you,” Anastasio elaborates. “I’ve been one my whole lifetime, so just hearing his voice on the phone was kind of exciting. If he wanted to [perform The Lamb] with us, I would do it. . . That album had a huge effect on me, and [Phish drummer] Jon Fishman as well. I spent most of my high school years in a dark closet with headphones on listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway .”

Gabriel is slated to tour through October 25, making a collaboration at this year’s Halloween show unlikely. Phish will perform on Halloween for the first time since 2010 in Atlantic City, NJ this year.

Comments

Ticranium August 21, 2013, 19:11:40

Sledgehammer encore?

ray vann August 21, 2013, 21:21:24

I’m sorry but, am i missing the part where Trey says Mr. Gabriel left a message on his answering machine? Did Mr. Anastasio say what was on that message? Pretty interesting stuff, I’d love to hear the details.

Reba August 21, 2013, 21:59:09

I would say out of all the Halloween show covers, phish fans are least likely to know this one. But once they heard it they would all say “oh so this is where Gamehenge came from”.

Ryan August 22, 2013, 00:17:06

I was pulling for Lamb for Festival 8. Every song on the album would work well with Phish’s sound and abilities. And, yes, it must be a large part of the inspiration for Gamehendge – especially the Famous Mockingbird. I hope they do it this year!

kye August 22, 2013, 10:48:48

would be a sick album but i think its bait and switch. this was reported for fest 8 too. great record though and i wouldnt be mad if they played it

Brian O'Connell August 22, 2013, 12:25:31

The Lamb is one of the most masterful, beautiful, powerful, most amazing albums of all time. To see PG do this with Phish would be unbelievably incredible. I don’t know if PG can hit some of those high notes in the original however, there’s some very difficult music in there.

Evan Hill August 22, 2013, 15:41:48

They need to cover a Dead album. That would be spiritually epic! I may cry if they did.

Wang Chung August 22, 2013, 18:13:08

sounds like high school was a real blast for him

linderama65 August 23, 2013, 09:21:51

I’m guessing there is a resurrgence in listening to the Lamb, especially among the younger crowd. I am the same age as the band and this album is pivotal among my generation. Ould love to see this done sometime. Sounds like PG touring Europe will interfere with this years possibility, unless 6 or less days is enough time for a perfectionist like PG to pull it off.

Otto August 23, 2013, 14:40:05

“I don’t know if PG can hit some of those high notes in the original however,” He can’t and he admits it. Saw him say that in an interview included in the Genesis box set. He said he had problems singing the songs originally since the other members of Genesis refused to change the keys of the songs they wrote to fit his range. The other members also expressed regrets at being so dogmatic about it back in the day and that they would happily do that these days to get a better performance.
Great album by the way, just getting into it and think it is great.

randolo August 27, 2013, 03:39:59

The Musical Box have made a career out of covering early genesis; I’ve seen their rendition of the Lamb show several times and it’s very very good.

Larry September 8, 2013, 08:57:19

I’ve been looking for something new to get into. I’ll definitely have to check this album out