Published: 2013/08/23

Bon Jovi Fired Richie Sambora

Bon Jovi has fired longtime lead guitarist Richie Sambora. The 54-year-old guitarist apparently left the group in the spring citing a “personal matter,” but RumorFix is now reporting that Sambora’s departure comes down to the money.

According to the site, Sambora was earning $2 million a month and 20% of the profits from Bon Jovi’s tour, while his replacement, guitarist Philip “Phil X” Xenidis, was earning $10,000 a month. Though he will still continue to pick up his royalty checks, it does not look like he’ll be joining the band on stage in the future.

While Sambora has not yet commented on the revelation, it has been known for some time that there were disagreements within the band. Last month, Sambora announced that he would not be joining Bon Jovi at their upcoming Hyde Park show, saying, “I am not going to be onstage at Hyde Park sadly. It’s just not happening right now. I truly want to be there and I feel very sad for the fans that I won’t be performing. I love the fans, I love the band.”

Comments

Phil Sambora August 23, 2013, 11:29:32

Richie is Jovi! There is no Jovi without Richie.

Mr Random August 23, 2013, 12:49:57

Why is a Bon Jovi story on this site?

bkt August 23, 2013, 12:52:34

Jamband story?

bkt August 23, 2013, 12:52:35

Jamband story?

Jonny Hambone August 23, 2013, 13:15:23

Someone is Sambora’d out of their mind if this is news on jambands.com.

Chucky cheese string August 23, 2013, 13:29:02

Hey maaaaan….....why are you reporting on a huge story about a band that has been around for 25 years? We only want to read about “jambands” and “festivals” and “GD cover bands”. Idiots!!! Don’t be so closed minded.

Karlp712 August 23, 2013, 13:46:52

Who cares

Karlp712 August 23, 2013, 13:47:55

How is the fake Richie

MikeyP August 23, 2013, 14:08:04

Hey guys, You give love a bad name. Richie is just Livin’ on a Prayer. I mean, He’s wanted Dead or Alive for the Bad Medicine he’s been dishing out…..

Z Dizzle August 23, 2013, 14:20:09

He’s a little runaway.

R Walsh August 23, 2013, 14:35:00

No doubt, a Bon Jovi story on Relix/JamBands?

Shafty August 23, 2013, 14:50:36

I miss my two million dollars a month

Blooby August 23, 2013, 15:01:51

You would think with 2,000,000 a month, he could get a cowboy hat that wasn’t crooked all the time.

Paul August 23, 2013, 15:12:08

It’s not like ‘jambands’ are that uniquely cool and interesting. Like there’s some sort of sacred code. Don’t be a dork.

dk70 August 23, 2013, 15:31:16

Kramer August 23, 2013, 15:32:38

Yea but there is a code for what’s good and Bon Jovi blows. Sounds like background noise n a lame bar. Oh wait, it is.

otto August 23, 2013, 15:43:56

I like reading non-jambands stories here. Saves me from having to check other sites that dont include any jam info. But BonJovi? I purposely stood outside MSG when he opened for the Scorpions just to miss BonJovi and have had the same feeling since then. No more BonJovi please. BUT MORE METAL INFO PLEASE!
PS Never saw much about the Sabbath reunion here (ever hear Live after Death? SABBATH JAMS!) nor Dio’s passing either. But maybe I just didnt check around that time.

Ryan August 23, 2013, 15:53:17

So Bon Jovi isn’t a jamband, their music sucks, they’re overpaid for what they do, and they don’t belong on this website… and yet, you all clicked on the article. And the article has sparked more conversation in the comments section than the majority of the articles jambands.com has posted about real jambands who play great music, aren’t given the credit they deserve, and belong on this website. Anybody else agree that this community would benefit greatly if everybody was as passionate for the things they love as they are for the things they hate?

todd smith August 23, 2013, 15:54:49

Jon and Ritchie need to sit down and figure this out.They are not only bandmates but they are brothers(not by blood) and like any other brotherly relationship there are ups and downs.But at the end of the day you are still family.The band is approaching 30yrs together in 2014. $ is no reason to end a partner ship or a friendship.Come on guys pull it together.The $ jon may recuop in a cheaper gutarist he will lose when Richies fanbase stop coming out to shows.

stephen Bykowsky August 23, 2013, 16:18:56

Why the DEAD were different, everybody always got an equal cut. In reality, Bon Jovi is an act, they are not musicians like the DEAD.

Giles August 23, 2013, 16:28:23

I heard that John actually banged
Heather Locklear thinking she was in fact that dude from Vegas with the tigers, Siegfried. And Richie got mad. It was clearly a big mistake but Richie doesn’t forgive easily.

Ryan is the MAN August 23, 2013, 16:48:16

Right on, Ryan!

Beezer August 23, 2013, 17:45:58

Ritchie will be playing with Phil and Friends this fall which is why this is a jamband story.

MarZaPhiGar August 23, 2013, 19:11:12

Growing up in the ’80s, the Dead represented-as much as hardcore- a grand thumbing of the nose to those douchebags who drove their Montes to Chess King to get duded up to see BJ. Can you imagine if Relix did a story on the alcohol-fueled departure of a lame-o commercial stadium crotch grabber? Shit.

maxiboyblack August 24, 2013, 07:49:45

Love Jon Bon Jovi….. all heart…. soul …and amazing human being! Richie Sambora is ego and disfunction!

jambandsoffline August 24, 2013, 20:19:04

Relix has officially jumped the shark. Seriously who even gives a little bit of a crap about this?

pat August 25, 2013, 09:07:29

WHAT? have you ever listened to richie jam? why do you close minded people bitch and complain so much?

Megan moore August 25, 2013, 19:09:44

Bonjovi clames that all the guys are family I love the band. And I have been savings money to go to my first concert which would be bonjovi but I will not go if richi is not there! Omg! So sad. He and Jon are the front men. Not this new dude come on get it together . Please

Kye August 26, 2013, 12:02:21

We bitch and complain bc we saw this in headlines and wondered why this is a relix srory. Its a story but not here but I forget that relix is all about making $$$. Bash phish when they can but guess which covers sell the most mags thats right PHISH and the Dead. Thats right boys and girls media is made to make money I would rather see one story like this once a year than see relix go away but if you think phish has fallen off a lil bit bon jovis music stopped in 92 but hey he still fills stadiums so good for him that he can sucker people to pay him to hear shitty music!!

Steve August 28, 2013, 09:05:35

Please, don’t want to see BonJovi stories on this site, I will stop reading. BonJovi is not even on my list of music.

Carig Russhie August 30, 2013, 00:54:39

RT: When reached for comment Sambora stated: “ I have come to a realization that many many music fans have known for decades: Bon Jovi’s music totally sucks!” i miss jerry

Eric August 30, 2013, 08:16:24

He wasn’t blowing Bon good enough anymore.

Missing digit September 2, 2013, 21:24:32

Sambora can sing too. Remember hearing him on stern solo. He legit and the band would not have been a hit machine without him. That being said, Phil X is a legit hired gun. Can play, sing and has the rock star part down. Don’t have to like him but he’ll fill the void well. I’m not a Bon jovi fan but decades of hits don’t lie. They are a force.

anna September 3, 2013, 01:31:25

I THANK RICHEI IS TAKING A BREAK FROM FOR A LITTLE BIT

shred September 3, 2013, 08:18:34

This gives Phish the chance to cover Slippery When Wet in New Jersey for Halloween. That’ll be so awesome.

Debra October 2, 2013, 11:36:36

Obviously not everyone is going to like every band there is. I think we have all heard the phrase “Different Strokes for different folks!!!”. I have always been a Bon Jovi fan and personally I feel like they belong together as a true band just like they have sounded like when they first came out. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and likes and dislikes!!! We would be a pretty boring world if everyone is just alike, don’t you think? Thank you for allowing my voice to be heard also.