Published: 2013/08/29

Mumford & Sons Promoter Offers Refund as Fans Turned Away in Queens

Last night’s Mumford & Sons appearance at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium faced some snags. This was the first concert at the venue in 16 years and some ticketed fans were turned away, while others in the facility felt it was uncomfortably packed. The issue reportedly was not that the event was oversold but rather that there were some complications getting concertgoers up to the second deck. The promoter has issued the following statement and offered refunds.

Dear Patrons,

We are writing to acknowledge some issues with tonight’s Mumford & Sons concert at Forest Hills Stadium. As many of you know, this was the first show in many years at the stadium, and we collectively experienced the growing pains that come with re-opening a new venue.

We hope you enjoyed the show, but we will gladly offer full refunds to those of you who did not have an optimal experience at the stadium. We can assure you that we are working with City Officials and City Agencies to improve conditions and make sure everyone who comes to a show in Forest Hills has the best experience possible.

If you would like a refund, please contact Front Gate Tickets Support.

On behalf of the West Side Tennis Club, WSTC Events, Bowery Presents and Mumford & Sons, we apologize for any difficulties and thank you for taking the chance on joining us for this historic concert.

We hope to see you again soon.

WSTC

Comments

Steve B August 29, 2013, 11:08:35

Finally some class in this city. Very respectful.

Someone August 29, 2013, 11:12:46

They totally oversold. I was there. There was no additional room to fit people in the to the second deck – it was packed. The concert itself was awesome, but the stadium can only fit 15,000 or so. They sold 18,500 tickets, per the ticket numbers on the back of my ticket.

TCinNYC August 29, 2013, 12:37:15

While i’m thrilled to see the WSTC back as a venue, and i look forward to taking in a show there, i have to ask this simple question. Why didn’t they book a smaller scale show ahead of this one to work out the kinks & get a sense for what they would be dealing with?

Otto August 29, 2013, 14:57:22

The last time I saw a show there (Further Fest, year with the Crowes and Moe) right in the middle of the day a phalanx of riot gear clad cops came strolling right through the crowd for no reason what so ever. I will NOT being go back to that venue ever.

Tina August 29, 2013, 15:36:03

What a joke. They oversold it, they know they oversold it, and to apologize and say you didn’t over sell it is an insult.

chris August 29, 2013, 18:59:45

I was at that Furthur show in ’97, I worked for the tour. Despite the little rain that day the show was very successful and problem free. Police presence was not an issue. Its a cool venue as the stadium is small and nobody is far from the stage. I’m sure they’ll work out the kinks and its a nice gesture to offer refunds.

M&S Fan August 29, 2013, 21:23:25

It was an amazing show. Great music, great crowd and a great venue. Welcome back Forest Hills.

angel of death August 30, 2013, 15:05:27

imagine if slayer played instead

John August 30, 2013, 18:26:25

I just tried calling the WSTC and they said they aren’t offering any refunds. Guess their release was a lie…

Mary August 30, 2013, 20:10:43

The refund is a lie. I was one of the people at the show that had a horrible experience, but when I wrote a very kind email asking to take them up on their offer of a refund I was told that they were no longer taking refund requests as per the promoter. No class. Just lies.

Otto September 4, 2013, 16:44:46

Chris, who must be a M&S employee or works for the promoter who just reneged on the refunds falsely stated “chris August 29, 2013, 18:59:45 I was at that Furthur show in ’97, I worked for the tour. Despite the little rain that day the show was very successful and problem free. Police presence was not an issue.” THERE WAS NO RAIN THAT DAY WHATSOEVER IN NYC. The day was cool and sunny. Look it up liar! Here’s the link.
http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/NY/New%20York/1997-07-03 Now why would anyone believe a liar about the police presence at the venue? believe me, the neighborhood there doesnt want shows and the cops will stop at nothing to hassle people now for no reason.

Megan September 13, 2013, 10:03:11

Dont be too fooled..as of now (more than two wks) my repeat inquiries have gone totally unanswered. nothing more than a press release to look better from what i can tell so far.

FB January 7, 2014, 14:33:23

Yes refund was a complete lie. I am still trying to get my refund and frontgate told me no refunds are ever given. They never intended to refund any money.