Published: 2013/09/17

Umphrey’s To Host Bill GrahUM Monday in Denver

Umphrey’s McGee’s December 30 plans have been the topic of discussion since the group announced their New Year’s run at Denver’s Fillmore Auditorium on December 28, 29, and 31. Today, that discussion has ceased as the Chicago jam band announced they will be hosting “Bill GrahUM Monday” at a soon-to-be-revealed venue in Denver.

Here is the info, per the UM website.

When: December 30th, 8:00 pm through early on December 31st
Where: Mystery venue to be revealed
What: An incredibly intimate rock show
How many: 350 tickets
How much: $200.00
Who: You! (18 and over)

Includes:
Four hours of open bar (beer, wine & booze)
Setlist voted on by all ticket holders
Exclusive die case pin commemorating the event
MP3 download of the show
UM + Oskar Blues beer koozie
And a bonus reveal

In addition to the event, Umphrey’s will donate $15.00 from every ticket sale to assist with the flood relief efforts in Colorado. Tickets will go on sale on September 30th, and will be available via a general public on-sale, direct to previous Bill Graham show attendees and Umphrey’s Monday patrons, and to those participating in the Colorado NYE umVIP packages. Additional details will be announced shortly.

Comments

Umphan September 17, 2013, 19:31:53

This is a good way to bleed the stone that is your fans. You have people traveling, aren’t selling out the Fillmore for 3 nights so let’s charge 200 bucks a head (only our hardcores and LGBT fans will pay) to be a dead coverband for a night and try to get guys from ymsb and cheese to sit in. I’ll be frank, I am coming from Michigan with my apprentice and won’t pay because this is typical UM behavior. Make your main fan base pay big to hang out for a gimmick like covers or texting the band abilities. What this will not cure is the writer’s block the band has. I don’t want to pay to meet you, I don’t want to have Vince rip me off and not at least get off from it (literally) and realize its a sign. UM ran from its New Years Chicago shows after seeing half the fans years later at the Aragon for Thanksgiving. Either way my apprentice and I are looking forward to meeting cute guys and transgendered UM phans.

Colorado Fan September 17, 2013, 19:41:17

I’m from Boulder and can’t believe YouM brag about donating 15 out of 200 dollars for flood relief. Less than 10 percent of the shows gross when you have all of NYE. It’s like this, “So we are having a benefit show we are going to make $70,000 gross playing dead covers exploiting Bill Graham’s dead name, but we are charitable so we are giving $5,250 to those towns that are gone in Colorado.” We are men of progressive charity, or desperate to keep a big operation on the road. If you are going to have a show for charity please do some charity don’t keep 64,750 to by a sack of White Castles and a weave for the drummer. Colorado thanks you for your five grand. The generosity is amazing. I hope that 65k makes up for the disaster of STUM tour as Vinnie said.

Bean spiller September 17, 2013, 20:01:43

This show is at the 2up on 717 e colfax ave

bUMedradophan September 17, 2013, 20:11:25

Jeeez man I have seen them many times in CO and know its one of their biggest fanbases since I used to be an old UM street teamer out here. I cannot believe they mention our disaster here and say they are donating 5000 of a 70000 gross during a profitaable run, even with sales declining nationwide for solo UM shows. This is insulting to all fans mostly us that were your first people out here at Cervantes and have seen the hundreds of thousands if not millions in gross this state has given you. 5000 is insulting because the show has nothing to do with our flood recovery its about an easy 65 grand playing dead songs.

Roberto Hunter September 17, 2013, 20:53:39

It is a class move to use the Colorado tragedy for your own bottom line. Perhaps one can collect more revenue by calling it a charitable event was what J. P. Barlowie believes. None the less it is a clever racket. One must say 65k for playing our work, playing in the loosest interpretation of the work, while using a famous band managers name is great marketing from a business sense. You must ask if you would have had this ability had Denver not presented you with it’s states tragedies? Bravo on a very low money grab level Bravo. Please be nice to our songs. I understand you have needs as a band, please don’t let that make you insult more lost folks.

Help me out here September 17, 2013, 22:31:35

Where is everyone getting the impression they will be doing dead covers all night? Bill Graham for a night refers to the fans “being” Bill Graham for a night in that they get to “put on” an intimate show, picking the setlist. Correct me if I’m wrong

I'll correct you September 17, 2013, 23:25:57

Bill Graham promoted the Dead the Allmans Santana Jefferson Airplane Little Feat and many other acts Umphreys prays to be with knee pads on. Given UMs pension for covers expect them to run through covers of Bill Graham bands or “mash ups” like Help on the Way Slip knot Jessica as they have before no doubt as they bet to death covers and mash ups they like.. What the band is going to clearly focus on most is using the Colorado flooding tragedy and Bill Graham’s good name to make 185 bucks per person or 65000 gross. I will note the band is giving 5 grand of the gross to the flood relief. What amazing progressive artists.

Bill Graham September 17, 2013, 23:34:10

To be honest UM has no relation to Bill Graham or his bands and their promotions. I hope they got permission to use his name because it implies they have more ties to bands like the Allman Brothers and Santana when Gregg or Carlos have never heard of UM or Jake lets be honest. Classic upstream inference work by Vinnie but in reality UM would be more like the Flying Burrito Brothers in that era.

Serlist September 17, 2013, 23:36:57

Why is picking a set list and an intimate crowd a big deal? You ever seen a weeknight UM show at the Orbit Room? Most of their club shows are more and more intimate. So you are saying this is special why?

UMimpressed September 18, 2013, 11:43:03

This is probably my one and only chance to see my favorite band for NYE, so I sprang for the VIP package. $1,599.00 for two people. But that’s not enough! Now they want another $400 from me. $2,000? Really? I don’t feel like a Very Important Person anymore :(

Help Me Out Here September 18, 2013, 17:53:33

Umphrey’s has done “Bill Graham For a Night” twice before. It has nothing to do with the bands associated with Bill Graham. Read up on those two events. Also, UM has publicly acknowledged UM Mondays several times and I will guaruntee that this show was planned well before the floods happened. As for the $200, if you don’t want to pay it, don’t go. They are offering quite a few perks, open bar is a big one and helping write the setlist will mean a lot to die hard fans. Ppl pay $200 just to see Phish, which is ridiculous, but they do. The high price isnt because its a “benefit show”. Its because thats how much these events cost. The $15/ticket donation is likely something they decided to do after the fact, when the flooding happened. If you’d like to donate money to the flood victims, no one is stopping you

Can I get September 18, 2013, 22:30:59

You may be the most naive guy in the world if you believe putting on a Monday night show with all your gear already there comes close to even 10,000. I don’t need to read up on them. I know each of them, and I know they were trying to figure out how Vince could sink more cash out of its base of fans because the entire organization is concerned about what is coming.

Perks? September 18, 2013, 22:34:19

What perks besides booze? These guys are thieves. They charge money to party with their bassist and Myers begged for money on this website. It is plainly obvious the Fillmore ticket sales are very light and this is perfect. A very low over head show, a pin, a couple beers and you can pretend to care about my state while banking an extra 55k in PROFIT. The guys babies need new strollers, or Myers needs new hair again.

Ryan September 19, 2013, 00:10:40

Well, that’s just like, your opinion man.

??? September 19, 2013, 12:13:32

Some of y’all aren’t very smart. Selling 350 tickets at $200 a piece is making them a lot less money than pretty much any other show they play throughout the year. If you’re really worried about your overpriced ticket, head to the open bar and drink yourself $100 worth of booze. Problem solved. Rage, rest, realize what’s going on.

Save The Day September 23, 2013, 15:57:31

The open Monday date in this year’s NYE run was a great subject of discussion from the moment it was announced. What was in the works? A lot of people had ideas, including me. Those of us who know UM has a tremendous connection to a large, faithful fanbase in Colorado, famous for their weekly UMondays get togethers, expected there to be a joyous celebration that would somehow recognize the love that goes between the band and the hardcore CO fans. Now, it seems like this has turned into a PR nightmare. UM is a great organization that has shown they are not only gifted musically, but care enough to support many different charities and give back in many ways. Even though I love the band, and cannot believe some of the hateful comments I’m reading, I was a little surprised by the cost of the show versus the designated amount being donated to victims of the Colorado flooding disaster. I’ve always believed the price of UM tickets to be one of the biggest bargains concert goers could get. I’m not a bean counter, but unless there are some really big announcements of additional performers, revisions, or other benefits for attending this show, it looks like what started out as a great/good idea has now turned into a bit of an alligator. It’s still three months to the show, hopefully they can turn this around where most fans will see it as a win-win, but they better make these announcements soon, or the negatives now being associated with this show, I believe will only get worse. Good luck, guys. umphlove \\mm//