Published: 2013/09/22

Dickey Betts Joins Tedeschi Trucks Band in NYC

Guitarist and founding member of the Allman Brothers Band Dickey Betts joined Tedeschi Trucks Band on stage last night at the Beacon Theatre in New York. Betts sat in for takes on the Allman’s “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” and “Blue Sky” towards the end of TTB’s set, before returning in the encore for “The Sky Is Crying.” The London Souls guitarist Tash Neal also sat in at the Beacon, adding guitar and vocals to “I’ve Got a Feeling.” The local rockers opened the show for Tedeschi Trucks.

TTB guitarist Derek Trucks and Betts played together in the 1999 version of the Allman Brothers Band before Betts parted ways in 2000. The two have shared the stage a few times since then, most notably at the 2004 Jammys.

Photo courtesy of Dino Perrucci.

Comments

RubeAustin September 22, 2013, 14:39:26

I still thinks kicking Dickey out of the Brothers was stupid and petty.

allman fan September 22, 2013, 16:09:18

just awesome!!!

Deadman September 22, 2013, 17:37:43

The Allman Brothers don’t miss Dickey Betts at all! He brought it on himself.

HARRY O'DAY September 22, 2013, 20:36:55

Dickey will be 70 years old soon, give him a break. He will never return to the ABB but as long as they exist they will be performing classic songs he wrote. He is an intregal part of their history regardless of a not so pleasant parting 13 years ago.

Southernman September 22, 2013, 22:53:31

Dickey is the sound of The ABB.
He carries the band for decades after Duane passed away.
Dickey wrote most of the band “hit” songs too.
the Dickey & Warren years were the best since the original.

Debbie Downer September 23, 2013, 00:25:19

That’s awesome!!! So….how was it??? Can we get a review or some fan videos????

dk70 September 23, 2013, 09:19:51

Thats awesome that Dickey played with them. I would have loved to have heard the crowd’s reaction. He still looks totally badass even at 70.

David Spira September 23, 2013, 09:50:38

I was there. It was surprising and tons of fun. As for a review: In Memory of Elizabeth Reed: Very good although it got a bit clunky during a couple of the parts where the dual guitars really need to harmonize. I can’t really fault them for it, there are parts of that song that are a high-wire act.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sixHD9bTvUQ Blue Sky: They rocked the hell out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-eb3DJ9kD8 The Sky is Crying: Joined by Dickey’s son Duane Betts, they took turns jamming and it was great. Duane is a solid guitarist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgiS-AyFJLs As cool as all of that was, the show stealer was Derek’s uncharacteristically aggressive solo on the final song of the main set, The Storm. He left the entire audience stunned (Sorry, I can’t find video for this one, there are other video’s of him playing the song but not the way he did on Saturday night).

dk70 September 23, 2013, 14:19:14

Is it safe to say that everyone who is in/ or has played/ jammed/ hung out with ABB has an offspring named Duane?

KB September 23, 2013, 16:59:31

Rube, we have no idea what went on behind closed doors…but Dickey was apparently not pulling his weight for a long time. I think they have spoken about how he was resistant to writing new stuff, bringing back old stuff, and just wanted to stick to the same old setlists. Having said that, I think Dickey is the man and he and his music changed my life for the better. I love him and any opportunity to see him live. Duane Betts is a GREAT guitar player and super nice guy. My favorite lineup they have had since Duane’s passing was the Dickey/Jack Pearson years. Jack was an absolute monster and blew the roof off of every place he plays in any situation. He is a virtuoso in my book.

Jake September 23, 2013, 20:17:29

Thank you Derek!!!! You made a whole lot of people happy, and you are a class act. You are definitely the Allman Brother of the month!

Luke September 24, 2013, 04:19:04

Hope he shows up on stage with Derek, Warren and whoever else more often.

Nick Landess September 24, 2013, 16:30:01

Not to be too much of a downer or anything – and I love Dickie – but he was very off that night. Derek played the Liz Reed parts pretty much note for note – Dickie was just off, timing wise. 50% of Dickie is still an awesome friggin guitar player, so his solos definitely had some magic to them, but he really was not at his best. Anyone that wasn’t DIckie who came out and played like that would not have received a puzzled reception, at best, if not outright negative. Like I said, I love Dickie, and have many fond memories of great performances from him over the years, and I will remember this night fondly as well, but not because of the caliber of Dickie’s performance.
As for Derek’s aggro solo in “The Storm” to end the main set … just mind-blowing. He just keeps on setting his own bar higher and higher. It is such a pleasure to watch.

OBR September 25, 2013, 18:32:51

Anyone got audio or video of The Storm on 9/21?

Dude September 25, 2013, 20:11:11

Nick is being kind, Dickie was so bad that Susan left the front of the stage. He was off tempo and so lackluster that Derek had to step up and pick up the pieces. Honestly I was surprised that they brought him back at the end

dk70 September 27, 2013, 15:43:39

He IS 70! Who cares? The fact that he is up there playing at all ( or even still alive, for that matter) is almost miraculous. I’m happy I saw the ABB from ’89 thru the 90s when he and Warren ripped it up on a regular basis. And the band is awesome with Derek and Warren but its not the same either.

FarePlay September 28, 2013, 03:53:21

Dickie obviously has a lot of demons to deal with this time around, but no question that some of the Allman’s best material was written when Dickie was in the band. E. Reed is a stone cold masterpiece and in many ways was a brilliant showcase for Duane and where he was going as a player. Been listening to the version from SUNY lately and it is simply stunning. Powerful playing by both men. Nice touch to invite Dickie to play at the show. Derek and Susan appear to be a class act, as people, and as a stone cold Duane fan, love having the grace and beauty of Derek in this world.

Slide September 30, 2013, 10:22:51

Dickie is the Allman Brothers. That original line up is long gone. Why the petty bickering of his talent and the reasons of why he is not with the BAND? One look at Dickie and anyone with any common sense at all will see (and hear) that Dickie continues to fight his addictions. It affects him on stage. There are enough videos of Dickie where he is just completly shot out. So, there is no Allman Brothers without Dickie just like there is no more Led Zep without Bonzo. I will agree that back in the Day with Dickie and Warren (the lion, the beast, the king) were some of the the best shows ever. But, Warren and Derek now are on such higher plane than Dickie. It may not be the ABB but the playing is unparralled. Anyway, the absolute very best of ABB interpretations was in 2000 with Jimmy Herring! He and Derek had that magic growing up together etc. But that was NOT the bros. It simply was an interpretation of Allman Bros. Music with two of the best guitarist playing their version of Allman Bros. Glad Dickie is still with us though, sloppy and all. And now he even baits his hook when he fishes, plays golf and eats ice cream!

Jimmy Dyar September 30, 2013, 12:00:54

Post Duane and Oakly, One fo the best shows I ever saw, was in New Orleans for one of the late night concerts at Municipal Auditorium during Jazz Fest. Song was “Im Memory of Elizabeth Reed” Derek was a youngster and Dickie was still as hot as ever. During the song they had a video screen behind the band. they sinced the video of Duane playing the song and then livve with Derek olaying the song. the vidoe went back and forth between the two but they were note on perfect sincrinization (SP) of both Duane and Derek playing their best song ever. It was incredible. You could close your eyes and you would never know that is was Derek playing Duanes notes. Pneominal show that I will never forget (I hope)!

Listen October 3, 2013, 14:55:00

I just listened to the TTB show from 9/21 @ the Beacon. It was incredibly kind & generous to bring Dickie out, and the TTB have done a lot to heal some old wounds…. That said, the ABB have shows in the present day to think about. After you listen to the TTB show, would you rather pay to see the authentic ABB or a modern interpretation with Derek & Warren? Or Jack P. or Jimmy H.? Dickie’s contribution is immeasurable… but…

Georgia Boy October 7, 2013, 21:08:05

Haters shouldn’t throw stones at glass houses. Dickey Betts is simply one of the best ever. Period. Player and songwriter. We’re all flawed….

Wires October 12, 2013, 15:58:24

As far as I,m concerned .When Abb and Dickey parted ways that was the end of Abb.Don,t get me wrong it’s really good now .But ! It’s not the same . When Dickey was in the band ,that was the greatest music ever. I miss those early days.

Robert Johnson October 18, 2013, 13:07:45

It’s a shame that Dickey’s playing ability has slipped so much. I’m surprised he still gets up to play, I suppose he doesn’t care what the audience thinks of him anymore. He used to be a proud man at one time, the chip on his shoulder wore him out…