Published: 2013/09/23

Branford Marsalis Joins Furthur at Red Rocks

World-renowned saxophone player Branford Marsalis stepped into familiar surroundings last night as the joined Furthur on stage at Morrison, CO’s Red Rocks Amphitheater. Helping Furthur close their four-night run at the scenic venue, Marsalis lent his horn to Grateful Dead classics such as “Help on the Way,” “Franklin’s Tower,” “Eyes of the World” and more. Marsalis has a long history with the members of the Grateful Dead. He sat in with the Dead at Uniondale, NY’s Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on March 29, 1990 for a classic performance that is partially documented on Without a Net. He joined the Grateful Dead proper four other times—12-31-90 , 09-10-91, 12-10-93 and 12-16-94—and has collaborated with members of the band on a few other occasions, including the reformed Dead in 2009.

As the Furthur approaches the end of their tour—and the beginning of their indefinite hiatus—they will travel to Redmond, WA for a show at the Marymoor Amphitheater that will be broadcast on SiriusXM Radio’s Grateful Dead channel.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section

Sunday, September 22, 2013, Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

E: Brokedown Palace*

*w/Branford Marsalis

Comments

Thomas McDonnell September 23, 2013, 11:08:30

Branford!

Gary September 23, 2013, 13:09:02

Bobby calling for Security twice as Branford joined the stage was classic like shit is gonna get real and it did. EPIC Night

wooker t. September 23, 2013, 13:47:26

Ahhh the scenes most favorable drummer climbs from living in a garage in Boulder (again…little cot bed…little boom box radio…drumkit….drum practice pad…barely a pot to piss in) to playing Red Rocks with Branford Fucking Marsalis. Never have i seen perfect justice in showbidness like this. FUUUUUUUCK YEAH! But i still dont get what Bob and JK think they are doin up there. Id love to hear Phil, Jeff, Joe and Branford play without the fluff. You know it would be sick, i know it would be sick. Add John Grey on trumpet. Jerry didnt sound like anyone but Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis anyway. Hey any of you Further kids heard Joes old band Fat Mama? Where are the live shows? Whos got em? Ill shut up about it when everyones head that shit. so….go ahead…shut me up. Come with the Fat Mama shows…trippiest shit ever. RIGHT ON JOE!

dk70 September 23, 2013, 14:16:24

It was actually Fake Branford. (jus kiddin)

Noodlesiedoo September 23, 2013, 15:39:09

Wooker, Furthur Kids? Really … We are all kids at heart.
Check out archive net …

mb September 23, 2013, 21:00:58

So go ahead and shut up already. Fluff? So Bob Weir has no business inhabiting the stage with these other so called notables? Do you understand that he is responsible for roughly half of the music they performed? Bobby has always been at his best when he’s listening and providing accompaniment. The guy is a true original. He can hang with better musicians. He’s been doing it all his life. Wake up deh head!

Wooker T. September 25, 2013, 12:57:53

hey thanks for the link. im on archive.org often but i gotta say this is the first time iv ever saught a further show. i had no idea where to look. WHAT AN AWESOME PERFORMANCE! I love to hear joe and jeff push branford like they do. LOVED IT! Weir actually did sound good singing on most of the performance and it is true he is an origonal (million dollar rack of gear…awful guit tone). I cant imagine the GD without black throated wind or his version of bobby mc gee in the early 70s …its awesome. When i read that bob was fired for his lack of skills in ’68 in the GD’s publicists book i kind of understand because i bet i most of us practice our instruments more than bob ever has…but im also pleased bob kept showing up at rehearsals and gigs in defiance of jerry and phil. Everyone rebels against the establishment in the ’60s but bob rebels against the fucking dead? love it. points for the ‘pathalogicl anti-athouratarians’. now that JK dude…thats fluff and i dont mean the good kind. total fluff. the dude has no ideas outside of Jerrys and i insist that if Garcia had the same MO in 65 as JK does now he would have been a ricth famous elvis impersonator by ’67…not ricth and famous for authenticity in ’87. we might not be here havin this chat now. anyway …furthur is taking a break in ’14 and JK is going to prove me wrong by writing a handfull of new tunes with robert hunter to go on the album furthur is going to realase in ’15 because thats what “true bands” do, right? hes going to prove me wrong so im ready to eat my words when he does…no? you might like to say ‘shut up’ but a few years prior to JKs introduction to the GD in 1993 i stood places like the berklee shool of music and defending the dead as artists…not some nostalgia act so if i got another opinion that pisses a room full of people off now…what can i do? anyhoo welcome to’merica and the internet..places where people can tell you what they think of art. im invested in this one here so deal. id say ‘shut me up’ but while im more than prepared to deal with some punkass suburban gangster wanna be ‘whatever crew’ toolbag furthur kids (hey it wasnt my idea to be thugs on tour…i was getting away from shit like that when i ran off to see the grateful dead at 14) im just not down for ‘shut up….no you shut up…no you shut up…what are you gonna do about it….’ life is to short….... life is also too short for me today to spell gud or even begin to deal with punctuation grams or grammar. sorry to bastardize our ‘mericanized version of the kings language. shit maby i shud have finnished highschool? ...naah the road taught me well enough. anyway…gotta run for a train now or id carry on some more….

mb September 25, 2013, 20:26:52

I like your style Wooker T. Rage on! For my two cents, the best batch of songs in the post-Jerry Age belong to Seven Walkers. Maybe Hunter and JK can make something happen. I hope you are right.

frank from TX October 20, 2013, 23:36:23

I took a “friend” who has never seen a show before. She asked “ what’s with all the brightly colored clothing and why are we FIVE HOURS EARLY?” I just chuckled. We got lucky and parked next to Charlie and Mary Ann from Canada. My new Canadian friends were my eventual ride outta there as Sara bailed in the second set. Charlie had a lot of laughs w/ Sara telling her about the band and the traditions. I enjoyed the show as I knew I would. I have been watching shows since 82. Sara asked me..“what are they singing about?” “Hell, I don’t know” I said…“I need to hear it again I guess!” I drove 2 days one way to get there…and it was my second show at Red Rocks. Frickin awesome venue, happy people and good tunes. Thanks again Charlie and Mary Ann for the ride and friendship. WB if u read this.