Published: 2013/09/24

King Crimson Returns with New Lineup

Its looks like King Crimson are back in action. The band announced the news on their Facebook page today when they revealed that the eighth incarnation of the band will feature Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins and Jakko Jakszyk.

Robert Fripp, who co-founded the legendary prog-rock outfit in 1968, has been King Crimson’s only consistent member. Notably, longtime guitarist Adrian Belew is not listed as being a part of the new band.

In a news piece posted on DGM Live, Fripp notes that it will probably take a year before the new incarnation of the band is able to perform. He expects that they will be rehearsing in various formations during that time.

Comments

me September 24, 2013, 20:51:57

One of the bands I’ve never seen live but always wanted to… Even if it’s a new line-up, the level of talent that has been in previous line-ups makes the changes easier to accept. Hope this comes together nicely and there’s a tour!

twatts1000 September 24, 2013, 22:39:12

Finally, some good music…

twatts1000 September 24, 2013, 22:44:15

Search for “Scarcity of Miracles”... Also find “Birth of a Giant”...

LarksT2 September 25, 2013, 03:38:40

Robert Fripp’s influence on music and especially jam bands is so far reaching! Having thought he would tour with KC again I wish dates were anounced with this, I could have waited longer. Now the anticipations killing me

Steve Kesler September 25, 2013, 07:39:56

Great news. The “Crimson King” is back. Seeing almost every incarnation of the band since 1972, the only line-up I missed was the original. Fripp and Mel Collins…the mere thought of their combination thrills me!

C September 25, 2013, 09:11:49

The Giles, Giles and Fripp Brondesbury tapes are pretty awesome. A bit of pre-King Crimson sound.

Brian O'Connell September 25, 2013, 18:38:50

Bummed that Adrian Belew is not in this lineup, but the three drummer thing looks intriguing. And Mel Collins, he’s from the original lineup! Who would have though? It’s going to be some insane music as usual. Saw Fripp and the Guitar Craft Orchestra this past spring in Cambridge, MA…definitely one of my top favorite concerts of all time, even better than the mighty Crim!

Brian O'Connell September 25, 2013, 18:38:52

jeff September 26, 2013, 14:30:48

3 Stick players in one band. Interesting.

fnnielson December 12, 2013, 19:26:56

Have loved this band since 1970. My favorite lineup was Muir, Cross, Whetton, Bruford and Fripp which eventually boiled down to just Whetton, Bruford and Fripp. I hope this band returns to the level that was achieved by that lineup.

Rey December 28, 2013, 11:49:20

Aside from the Kinks, El Crimso is easily my fave band. ‘Lizard’ was the top achievement, with all other KC albums close behind in quality. My main Q: when is King Crimson to release a STUDIO album? It’s been a decade since ‘Power to Believe!’ Long Live Robert Fripp!