Published: 2013/09/27

Robert Hunter Kicks Off Solo Tour in Huntington, NY

Robert Hunter returned to the stage for the first time in years last night at The Paramount in Huntington, NY. It was the first show of the longtime Grateful Dead lyricist’s upcoming solo acoustic tour, which will take him to venues across the northeast over the course of the next few weeks.

Hunter started off his show with a string of Grateful Dead tunes—“Box of Rain, “Dire Wolf” and “Peggy O”—before going into “Cruel White Water,” a song that he recorded for his 1975 solo album Tiger Rose. The set then continued with “Ship of Fools,” “Candyman” and “Silvio,” a tune that he co-wrote with Bob Dylan for the iconic singer-songwriter’s 1988 album, Down in the Groove. The set then wrapped up with “New Speedway Boogie.”

The second set got going with “Deal,” which was followed by “Rum Runners,” a song that appears on his debut solo album, 1974’s Tales of the Great Rum Runners. “Jack Straw,” “Stella Blue” and his own “Tiger Rose” came next. The show then continued with “Brokedown Palace,” “Reuben & Cherise,” “Attics of My Life,”“Scarlet Begonias” and ,finally, a set-closing “Ripple.” Hunter then came back out for an a capella encore of the Tales of the Great Rum Runners track “Boy in the Barroom.”

Hunter will continue his tour tomorrow with a show at Symphony Hall in Allentown, PA.

Relix recently sat down with Hunter for his first published interview in six years. We’ve also got some additional tidbits that didn’t make the published version of the interview here.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via our Box Scores page

Thursday, September 26, 2013, Robert Hunter, The Paramount, Huntington, NY

Set I: Box of Rain, Dire Wolf, Peggy-O, Cruel White Water, Ship of Fools, Candyman, Silvio, New Speedway Boogie

Set II: Deal, Tales of the Great Rum Runners, Jack Straw, Stella Blue, Tiger Rose, Days Between, Brokedown Palace, Reuben and Cherise, Attics Of My Life, Scarlet Begonias, Ripple

Enc: Boys In The Barroom*

Notes: *a cappella

Source: Ratdog.org

Comments

Stupid is as Stupid does September 27, 2013, 17:08:14

What is it with the crowd singing along to everything these days? Go to church and sing hymns with the rest of the congregation if that’s what you want. But I’m paying money to see a performer perform, not a bunch of drunken people have a sing along. Please keep your damn mouth shut!

Mark Roberts September 29, 2013, 10:40:28

As a long time fan of live jam music, I can appreciate where your at. Been frustrated while trying to capture audio on tape and memories alike. Roger Waters would surley agree. Jerry once said somthing along the lines, ‘‘they can show up with peanut butter and jelly and bells on for the price they pay for a ticket,’‘ No matter,,no one has right to say how a ticket holder can express his joy. ‘Once in a while you get shown the light,in the strangest of places if you look at it right!! :D

Vivian Santos October 1, 2013, 14:11:49

Ha ha! PHENOMENAL SETLISTS! I DANCE AND YELL JUST SEEING THEM POSTED! A GRATE TIME FOR OUR PEOPLE! AND Our big chance to perfect patience! The group sing-a-long will HOPEFULLY not last long! Is not why I go, to hear my voice but people have two things going 1) big egos and want to run the show from the audience 2) and the maturity of kids in candy stores when it comes to the excitment level of seeing Hunter. Sorta freaking out near the source. One dweeb starts and everyone near feels so insecure in themselves that they assume they should, too. You will find me and mine sitting back straight, hands folded in lap…which YES, is hard to do but I have history in meditation training and orchestra going so I know how. Get hit over the head with a stick enough for squirmming and they too would learn to contain tremendous energies! : ). That said, I am glad people are made glad enough to vocalize! It is a part of our humanity. HOPEFULLY, he’ll do more originsl, non-dead solo stuff. His songs. Btw…he won the Lifetime Achievement Award for HIS songs. It’s a lot to endure all the singalongs-I know, but folks are expressing their joy. Also many people are products of these times and do not have training in etiquette for profound, solo acoustic, and otherwise poetic performance. They also have been grown up wrong by the likes of Weir and so think these things are okay. They don’t know how to channel energy or hold a space so they get loud…. Enlighten them. They are kids. ON TO THE REAL: HUNTER HAS NEVER SOUNDED BETTER. HE LOOKS GREAT. THE CULTURAL PHOENIX HAS RISEN. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY WE ARE. SO PEOPLE, my advice….shhhhh…listen. let it all burst from your heart. i want him to play forevwr and ever. let’s impress him with our enlightenment. He knows we know. Peace!

Deadcore Dawn October 1, 2013, 14:29:29

Hunter has some very meticulous time changes playing rhythm and lead at once and attendees would do well to contain themselves and moderate their enthusiasm to hear these things.
I agree people were badly schooled by Weir acoustic and many coming in post-Grateful Dead do really stupid things thinking they are “cool”.
If he comes to Colorado and ANYONE and I mean ANYONE is not silent as a seahorse, I will be upon them faster than you can say “pipe down!” Zippers ladies and gentlemen and free ego check at the door. I agree!
And speaking of Colorado, when are those dates. Could we get December? Amendment 64 and our very heady music scene checks out a lot of the static and obliviousness and noise that is on par with the heavy drinking scene out East. Truth be told, they need to legalize and youth go on to mind expanding things not dumb down alcohol. There are better crowds awaiting.

May Blue Santos October 1, 2013, 14:45:06

We three sisters posting in our family here. hi world! I would like to say that Robert Hunter is the brightest star and it is the most beautiful Scarlet>Ripple. Delicate. Sweet. Heartwarming. We have been waiting for you Mr. Hunter. This is it.

Thomas Tetreault October 2, 2013, 07:04:47

A buddy and I have seats for Mondays show in Boston.
We saw Furthur in April and July. Hunter next week. Phil and friends at the Cap in November.
All in all not a bad year!