Published: 2013/10/06

Widespread Panic and Umphrey’s McGee Swap Sit-Ins in Charleston

Widespread Panic and Umphrey’s McGee wrapped up a two night run at the Family Circle Stadium in Charleston, SC last night. The weekend featured headlining shows from Panic preceded by opening sets from Umphrey’s. While the two bands didn’t collaborate on night one, they certainly made up for it on Saturday night as collaborations came early and often. Widespread Panic guitarist John Bell joined UM late in their set for a cover of Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine,” which the two collaborated on at Warren Haynes’ 2010 Christmas Jam.

During Panic’s second set, the band invited members of Umphrey’s on stage for a pair of Funkadelic covers. First, guitarist Jake Cinninger and resident keyboard wizard Joel Cummins joined in for “Maggot Brain.” That jam segued into “Red Hot Mama” which also included UM percussionist Andy Farag. Farag stayed on for the following “Drums” segment before exiting.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist

Saturday, October 5, 2013, Umphrey’s McGee, Family Circle Stadium, Charleston, SC

Set I: Slacker, Conduit, Linear > 1348, Booth Love, Ain’t No Sunshine (w/ John Bell on guitar & vocals), Puppet String

Saturday, October 5, 2013, Widespread Panic, Family Circle Stadium, Charleston, SC

Set I: All Time Low, Saint Ex, Chilly Water, Wondering, It Ain’t No Use > Pilgrims, Impossible > Pleas > Mr Soul

Set II: Tall Boy > Machine > Barstools & Dreamers^, Maggot Brain* > Red Hot Mama** > Drums*** > Airplane > Protein Drink / Sewing Machine, Me and the Devil Blues, Henry Parsons Died

Encore: End of the Show, Ain’t Life Grand

(^) w/Satisfied rap
(*) w/Jake Cinninger (guitar) and Joel Cummins (keys)
(**) w/Jake Cinninger (guitar), Joel Cummins (keys), Andy Farag (percussion)
(***) w/Andy Farag (percussion)

Source: PanicStream.com

Comments

Jeffrey October 6, 2013, 17:37:35

I uploaded a few HD videos from the weekend here: http://www.weekendblitz.com/widespread-panic-umphreys-mcgee-october-4-5-2013-charleston-sc-review/

stott9 October 6, 2013, 19:31:01

Thanks for the upload….much appreciated.

I felt bad October 6, 2013, 19:45:56

Anybody else feel really awkward seeing Umphreys in such an empty venue? I felt so bad for them. I felt like JB did them a favor by letting them sit in. I was not getting the vibe that people were impressed or wanted Umphreys even to be there. You could see in their face, most clearly night two until John Bell came out, that they were so disappointed or out of it that they might not even finish their set. I have never seen a less energetic UM set than night two. Now of course the Omega Moos were much better than Umphrey’s. That is always the way it works. They should make one Beacon show and Omega Moos Show so I go and then one UM show I can skip.

Jefferey question October 6, 2013, 19:50:15

Did you use airline points for your tickets to the shows this weekend?

Kramer October 6, 2013, 20:07:29

Frankly, most of us weren’t there for UM. And considering there was no lot scene it’s a real shame that more UM fans didn’t support them more and get there on time. UM is always interesting in the daylight as well. I was down on the floor and we were into it. But I think for a lot of folks, especially those of us who have been seeing WSP 15-20 years or more, it gets harder and harder to rock out at these shows like we used to. Not everybody can start hard at 6pm and rock til 1130pm. It wasn’t a co-bill. UM opened. And even tho members of UM live here and are around a lot, WSP def has way more fans here. Just what it is. They brought the heat and Ain’t Life MF Grand!!

Danaconda October 6, 2013, 22:38:13

Not sure why “fans” of WSP can’t get down with UM too. I really like both bands a lot, and have for years. Seems rather odd that people only like one band. I’ve heard the same rap regarding Phish, moe, STI,etc. Really folks, only room in your world for one band. Phish heads who don’t care for WSP, and vice versa. Just seems odd. Hell, they are all great bands. Wish I had the bucks and time to multi tour all year long.

umbisco October 6, 2013, 23:14:14

Like 300-500 people are all that go to non weekend shows to see Umphreys outside of a very big city. Ticket sales for new year the band hopes will fill up on a walk up basis since presale is at about 30 percent capacity. I am not surprised nobody showed up to see them. I have seen them since 98. It was a ride up until 07 08 and a ride down since. Hopefully this signals to Vince where the band is as a club bar act and start booking more realistic shows. Brendan needs to write something in the next decade it has been a while as we know.

Jeffrey October 9, 2013, 21:32:03

@stott9 — No problem! Glad you enjoyed. @Jefferey question — Charleston’s my hometown so no need for points for these shows. Use them all the time though for out of town shows…