Published: 2013/10/09

John Lennon’s Hollywood Star Defaced with Grateful Dead Lyrics

If he were still alive, music icon John Lennon would have turned 73 today. Unfortunately, to mark the occasion a group of Grateful Dead fans visited his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame outside of Capitol Records to deface it with lyrics from the song “Deal.” Along with the lyrics, the vandals also adorned the star with a smiley face, a spotted toadstool and peace signs.

Beatles fans looking to retaliate will be disappointed to find out Jerry Garcia (or any member of The Grateful Dead) doesn’t have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

A picture of Lennon’s star (prior to cleaning) surfaced via Hollywood Reporter with the lyrics to “Deal” (“It cost a lot to win and even more to lose, you got me to spend some time”) inscribed directly under Lennon’s name. As previously mentioned, the star has since been scrubbed clean and will be ready for the dedication ceremony scheduled for today in honor of Lennon’s birthday.

Comments

The Poet Schwartz October 9, 2013, 12:00:37

who ever wrote this article should hang it up

barb October 9, 2013, 12:00:50

This article is so misleading. What a you really saying? Is this a pic of the damage? On his birthday vit loojs very pretty. Just because the dead family passed through town why do you say they did it? Where are the lyrics? Do you even have a degree in journalism? Find a new hobby please. Don’t blame and not show proof. Peace

Kevin October 9, 2013, 12:07:40

Since when does someone’s disrespectful grafitti habbits speak for a fan base? Besides, I think John would have laughed about it and said “Fuck Hollywood, they’re Babylon anyway.”

Mark October 9, 2013, 12:28:45

This may be the worst article ever written. WTF
I guess the secrets out…. Deadheads hate the Beatles. I love the part about JG or any other members of the Dead not having a star on the “walk of fame” I mean, everyone knows that is the pinnacle of artistic excellence. You will notice the author didn’t sign this POS even they knew it was crap!

What? October 9, 2013, 12:48:01

You people need to lighten up. Obviously the author is a Grateful Dead fan if they write for Jambands.com. No one from the Dead has star, that’s just a fact, who cares? It’s just info they were pointing out, don’t think they’re knocking the Dead at all by mentioning it. And where in the article does it say that these people speak for all Deadheads? Don’t think they implied that anywhere

Steve b October 9, 2013, 12:48:09

I can’t understand why the same people constantly trash a site that they continue to check out. This isn’t rolling stone with a huge budget or even many paid positions. They out out plenty of great articles and news that wouldn’t make it into many other outlets. If your that big of a Grammer Nazi how about volunteering to edit the site as many articles and reviews are written for free by true fans. Or just write worthy articles or stories and submit them to the editor and maybe you can bring some of the “proper journalism” to the site. Maybe you can just not visit a website that you claim sucks, writes shit stories and can’t fact check. I have the same thoughts about many other sites out on the web and guess what? I just don’t visit them…

Chester October 9, 2013, 12:49:05

This article has just ensured that John Lennon’s star will be defiled with Dead lyrics for eternity.

Andrew Preissing October 9, 2013, 13:03:26

All I have to say is. MERRY PRANKING. Pranksters have been a part of Dead culture forever. Get over it. I congratulate the artists for carrying on the tradition.

6Nations October 9, 2013, 13:26:17

Defaced? How about “adorned”?

Houston Scott October 9, 2013, 13:49:23

Please let it be known that this is at the same time wrong, it was meant in good taiste. This just creates more awarness about John’s star. When Jerry going to one?

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!! October 9, 2013, 14:29:46

wouldn’t be the first time grateful dead fans acted like idiots…. ever been to san francisco, folks? scrubs everywhere… a lot of them with pit bulls and shit locks in their shit tie dyes asking you for free shit when you walk down the street….. you’ll never see them at a show but you’ll see them rep’n GD from head to toe… Especially with this super queer hat pin rage thats been going on…. kids that eat out of dumpsters and shit on the sidewalk…... oh, heyy!!!!!^ another form of shitting on the sidewalk…. this one just happens to be Lennon’s.

dool October 9, 2013, 14:42:42

The word was ingenious, not genius. They have completely different meetings. Understand what you are reading before you criticize.

marty nelson October 9, 2013, 15:36:42

“Imagine”

Debbie Downer October 9, 2013, 16:48:30

I’ve been to that same Lennon memorial in Prague (Praha). I went in 2009. How awesome is that wall?? Either way I’m not really upset by the defacing of his star. I think it was disrespectful to his surviving family who want to celebrate this day in peace. I sincerely hope it was a fan who ignorantly thought it was no big deal. Maybe not, but assholes are everywhere right?? My problem is with this article. And I don’t buy the BS that we can’t comment on the sloppiness of this article. If you publicly publish garbage, guess what??? You have now opened yourself for criticism. I don’t think people should be mean and personal, but they have every right to point out OBVIOUS mistakes. If you have an interest in writing and reviewing music related pieces on this site, I am very happy for you. If you half ass it, my response is, “Step it up.”. This is like Wikipedia 10 years ago when any idiot could upload incorrect information filled w errors. I don’t think any of us want that. I want accurate information from passionate people

ripple October 9, 2013, 17:30:06

Very disrespectful , and uncool . John Lennon deserves better treatment than that . Not surprising though , there’s always been a few in the crowd who’s kuleana was to make the whole of us look bad .

Dave October 9, 2013, 18:07:23

What a nod to jerry And hey OP, this is a hollywood star, not an f’n gravestone.

Mat October 9, 2013, 18:11:30

Deal is not a Dead song. Traditional.

m.r. boogie October 9, 2013, 20:11:59

Don’t agree with what they did…..pretty stupid….but they didn’t say fuck you or put him down….John Lennon didn’t care about his star….He cared about Peace and Family…..

Wondermut October 9, 2013, 20:32:16

Jerry Garcia and Pigpen were seen running (well ya know) from the star just before it was discovered.

Bob October 10, 2013, 06:32:16

Guys, get over it. Childish though it is it’s not the end of the world. The fact that Lennon had a star puts him alongside a lot of other talentless tosser who are honoured by Hollywood. Lennon and his band mates were a moment in time and were lucky to achieve what they did. As an Englishman who has an eclectic taste in music, I possess only two Beatles albums White Album and Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, whereas I’ve got all the Rolling Stones, Kinks and others from that period, and I should add that yes I am a Dead Head who still buys the concert recordings on a regular basis. The Beatles are a myth that is propagated on your side of the pond and in Liverpool; the rest are muppets who still listen to the likes of One Direction, Sweet and Gary Glitter.

david October 10, 2013, 21:55:41

this is a horribly written article… holy cow what a piece. Try again. RELIX... you are better than this terrible writing.

Fred October 12, 2013, 13:28:48

“Deal is not a Dead song. Traditional.” ^ huh? “Deal”
Words by Robert Hunter; music by Jerry Garcia
Copyright Ice Nine Publishing; used by permission.

not my family October 15, 2013, 06:39:53

yea so when i say “furthur kids” this is what i mean. stupid kids who had little better to do after the furthur tour ended in la last week but hang around town and act like hoodlums. this is not grafitti. it is not the sort of civil disobedience practiced by brave folks outside before the show as they whisper in strangers ears. these are not ticketles heads from good old grateful dead tour. these are stupid fucking furthur kids. this is not my family.

Sean October 17, 2013, 19:19:53

Bad wook! Stay behind the 7-11 where you belong.

Sunshine October 18, 2013, 00:52:23

“Defaced” with Peace signs and smiley face (Love)! And I thought Peace and “Love is the Answer”

kye October 19, 2013, 13:56:08

I cant believe people are defending people trashing another artists spot. If there were Beatle lyrics on any GD tributes right before they were having an actual tribute to the band all you people would scream bloody murder! how dare they ruin Jerry and the GD C’mon GD fans are worse than Jaded Phish fans. It was wrong grow up!

Tom October 19, 2013, 19:47:49

Mat, Deal IS a Dead song, Lyrics by Robert Hunter Music by Jerry Garcia.. IT IS SO hunter / Garcia ….

Guy Zigzag October 20, 2013, 22:19:48

I imagine John is rolling in his grave.
LOL, then firing it up and then passing it on to Jerry.

Nixon October 28, 2013, 20:53:09

Damm Commies!

Disgrace October 9, 2013, 11:33:43

By “innovative and genius” you mean that sarcastically, correct?

Alex B October 9, 2013, 11:40:29

Those people are hardly Dead fans or music fans at all. Their immature actions clearly have nothing to do with the Dead and I’m disappointed to see the jab that the author took at Jerry and the other members.

sammy October 9, 2013, 11:41:54

NOt a good report at all, and no reason to dis the Grateful Dead or Jerry. It was a few punk ass kids that never even seen the Grateful dead. Such a disappointment in this article.. all around..

JMan October 9, 2013, 11:44:03

Stinkin’ Deadheads!

Dave October 9, 2013, 11:46:37

Horrible journalism. Didn’t even give us the lyrics. Get a new job. I could write better articles than you any day.

Dave October 9, 2013, 11:46:40

Dave October 9, 2013, 11:46:46

The Rev October 9, 2013, 11:51:05

a def nod to Jer. Probably done by some POS, clueless GDF member. Wooks gotta wook

T October 9, 2013, 11:54:48

Nice job nailing in your point with the repetition Dave. From what I can tell from the actual image of the vandalism, whoever was guilty was not necessarily trying to insult Lennon. It looked similar to stuff I have seen on Jim Morrison’s gravesite in France.

jazzfester October 9, 2013, 11:57:26

In the late 1990’s, I visited a Lennon memorial in Prague and was curious to discover that, among the Beatles lyrics and other Beatles related graffiti in mostly broken English, were the perfectly written words, “Ripple in Still Water. Jerry Garcia.” I had my doubts that Jerry had written and signed his work on the Lennon memorial. I wrote it off as silly people who could not tell the difference between one artist and another. However, this Dead lyric writing on Lennon memorial group may be an organized cartel. Hopefully few will respect the request for silence at Strawberry Fields in Central Park this afternoon. Sing those songs out loud.