Published: 2013/10/09

Two Men Arrested For Selling Fake Phish Tickets

Two Schenectady, NY men were arrested and accused of selling forged Phish tickets via Craigslist. Local authorities say they received a report from the victim on October 5, saying they unknowingly bought two fake Phish tickets to the October 23 show in Glens Falls, NY. Through an arranged meeting in the parking lot of the Colonie Center, police apprehended the two sellers and charged them with Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the 3rd Degree and Petit Larceny, both misdemeanors.

The forged tickets were full page printouts created to look like their legitimate Ticketmaster counterparts. Phish kicks off their Fall Tour October 18 in Hampton, VA.

Comments

me October 9, 2013, 17:05:42

Wow… 2 people and a few counterfeit tix off the grid now… but it’s still more effort made than Phish does to assure their fans get the tix, rather than the douche bags who then sell GF tix for $150/tic, or scalpers/brokers who block fans from gettng into TM website when tix go on sale… But why care… tickets are sold and the lack of them only helps generate additional revenue with webstream sales? Yes, I was shut out (again) and I’m po’ed…

BaltiBill October 9, 2013, 19:11:16

I am 0/17 on summer PTBM, 0/14 on Fall tours and 0/12 on NYE. I have ONLY paid scalpers rates to seem phish. Never in my life paid face value to see my favorite band. Sad sad sad…...I would kill for Atlantix City tix but I was shut out

The good old days are gone October 10, 2013, 00:25:32

Remember when you could write a letter to Phish and then someone up there would put a cool, colorful ticket in the mail back to you? And then Phish would play a really good show? Ahh, the 90’s!

derpa October 10, 2013, 03:41:15

The internet is amazing, it’s how I stay employed and it’s really made many things better…but it’s really screwed the consumer when it comes to concert tickets. I NEVER had trouble getting tix back when it was either mail order, phones, or in person. Yes, scalping was still a thing back then, but it’s morphed into something far worse. Now it’s a battle against scalpers who’ve invested time and money to beat the various mechanisms put in place by TicketMaster (et al) to keep the system “fair”. Oh well, at least I’m going to Hampton next week.

MarZaPhiGar October 10, 2013, 05:20:37

I got ganked outside of MSG in ’98…oh, the horror when the security guard used his bic to demonstrate how if the ducat was legit it woulda burned a certain way…60 fuckin dollars, man!

MarZaPhiGar October 10, 2013, 05:20:37

MarZaPhiGar October 10, 2013, 05:20:38

halpernicus October 10, 2013, 07:20:51

Phish does not care about their fans. If they did they would bring back mailorder and play better shows.

J Dog October 10, 2013, 08:15:19

Phish

adks12020 October 10, 2013, 09:52:39

@BaltiBill – I hear you man. I’ve been seeing Phish since 1996. Since they went to this online lottery crap I’ve been totally blanked too. I long for the days of real mail order and waiting in line outside a record store for tickets. I always seemed to get tickets back then when I wanted them, maybe not for every show but for a couple. Now the only ones I’m sure to get are SPAC because the place I work is a member and has reserved seats for everything there. All other tickets I too have been relegated to double or triple face value or hoping a kind friend that did get lottery tickets has an extra for face. I lucked out for Glens Falls in that way. It’s a sad state and the reason I only see Phish occasionally now. I can see 3-5 other bands for the price one Phish ticket costs from a place like stubhub or some other rip off ticket site.

Confused October 10, 2013, 10:28:33

Post-hiatus, I have gone 10 out of 10 with getting tickets. I had no idea I had been one of the fortunate ones.

me October 10, 2013, 12:09:22

I won’t go so far as to say Phish doesn’t care about their fans, in fact, generally speaking I think it’s just the opposite… you have to look no further than Chicago this past summer. Of course, there will be haters who just talk smack because it’s Phish… but I’ve seen MANY concerts in my day and I can safely say there is no band out there that is more concerned about their fans than Phish. However, with that said, I can’t help but think of what Trey said about the breakup (and the subsequent reunion)... it was major stress on him/them knowing so many people’s livelihood rested on the Phish machine continuing to chug along and that is understandable. However, regardless of that fact and wanting to avoid it, there has still got to be an answer. If the Rolling Stones can make it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to scalp their intimate shows, so can Phish. I realize that what the Stones did would not work on a large scale, but I’m sure with a bit of time and effort, there could be a solution which helps get the tix to the “real” fans which doesn’t involve starting their own mail order again.

Michael from Florida October 10, 2013, 22:07:11

I’ve seen Phish 56 times and bought nearly 200 tickets (because usually 4 of us go). Never paid more than face. No regrets.

webcast October 11, 2013, 02:11:38

Don’t forget… you can pay $15 to watch on your phone or computer! Now Phish shows can be like the homeschool prom!

Surlybuf October 11, 2013, 13:14:03

Years ago, Tom Waits toured. To get a ticket, you had to buy it with a credit card. Upon entering venue, you had to show said credit card. Because of this I got to live the dream of seeing Tom Waits live. Phish should do this or an ID thing with names on the tix.

moondickcanhelp October 11, 2013, 17:11:07

I got all my tickets. Always have. I did like it better when people had to actually have cash in hand to get the money orders and not just a credit card. It def. limited the number of people putting orders in….but its now been 11 years of this method, time to stop crying about it. And Im sure the people crying about stubhub and secondary prices are the same people waiting to get to hampton to score their $20 ticket on lot. You either agree that there is a secondary market or you dont. Dont cry when they are expensive if you are taking advantage of the cheap shows.

JeffreyLebowski October 17, 2013, 01:25:31

Boohooo, things you want cost money. Lots of people want to go to these shows, and quite a few of them are rich kids with credit cards, or people who went to college in the 90s and now have enough money to drop a few hundred shows. If your budget for entertainment hasn’t increased since 1996, that isn’t Phish’s fault.

big ed October 17, 2013, 11:53:45

In related news: “Furthur guitarist John Kadlecik was placed under citizens’ arrest by smelly hippies on charges of being a fake Jerry”.

Sean October 17, 2013, 19:35:10

Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh I wish it was the early 90s. Im so cool I saw phish so many times back in the day and it was so much better back then . God Im so fucking cool!

Jeremy October 18, 2013, 13:13:37

Ha – on the John K comment…

dk70 October 18, 2013, 16:47:17

@ Sean. It was. Their 4 night run at the Beacon Theatre on the heels of the “Hoist” release was the sickest thing ever. They would do the barbershop thing sans mics and you could hear a pin drop in a 2500 seat theatre. Still terrific now, though, too. Have a nice day.

dk70 October 18, 2013, 16:49:00

I wonder if there will ever be a “Fake Trey”. Keep healthy Mr A.