Published: 2013/10/16

John Kadlecik Band to Play Jerry Garcia Music for Halloween

Furthur guitarist John Kadlecik and his band will don a musical costume for their Halloween show at Baltimore’s Ram’s Head. Kadlecik and bandmates will perform music from the Jerry Garcia Band, performing a particular show during their gig.

Kadlecik, a founding member of Dark Star Orchestra, will also play a solo show in Virginia before the Halloween run and will hit the road with Everyone Orchestra in November. Furthur announced they will take an indefinite hiatus following their January shows in Mexico.

John Kadlecik Band and Everyone Orchestra Tour Dates:

October 26 Gore, VA—Not Fade Away Festival (John Kadlecik)
October 31 Baltimore, MD—Ram’s Head Live
November 2 Charlottesville, VA—The Southern
November 7 Washington, DC—The Howard Theater (Everyone Orchestra)
November 8 New York, NY—BB King’s (Everyone Orchestra)
November 9 Philadelphia, PA—The Blockley (Everyone Orchestra)
November 14 Aspen, CO—Belly Up (Everyone Orchestra)
November 15 Denver, CO—Oriental Theatre (Everyone Orchestra)
November 16 Boulder, CO—Cervante’s (Everyone Orchestra)
December 5 Washington, DC—State Theater
December 6 Washington DC—State Theater

Comments

..... October 16, 2013, 16:56:22

jee…didn’t see that coming.

Hmm October 16, 2013, 19:08:54

Wow…looks like he’s going to try something different for a change.

Strop Stabler October 16, 2013, 19:53:13

Guaranteed this hip will be homeless by early 2015 once the Furthur gravy train ends. Trust me I know…I live in a garbage can with my room mate, a vinyl copy of Aoxomoxoa.

funkyriddims October 17, 2013, 08:08:50

Does this guy ever play any music that he actually wrote?

Kent October 17, 2013, 08:57:18

I have seen the John K. Band a handful of times….they do some of John’s original tunes, other strange non-Dead covers (The Police, Camper Van Beethoven) plus a few GD and JGB songs scattered. Hence them doing a JGB show is kind of “news”...not the norm. Always a fun time….

Joshua Katt October 17, 2013, 11:10:22

Don’t get the JK bashing. He is an amazing lead guitarist who brought incredible new sound and life into Furthur.

dk70 October 17, 2013, 11:50:52

Everyone hates fake Jerry? Thats too bad. I give the man credit for helping Bobby and Phil get the GD music out there to the people who love it. Talk about a double edged sword, though. What picker and GD fan wouldn’t want the chance to jam (and make some nice $$) with them? But then you have do deal with a-holes who hate you because you aren’t Jerry.

funkyriddims October 17, 2013, 12:11:00

Not hating on the guy. He definately can play. But wouldnt it be cool if he put together a band and produced some original material?

LonglivepsychedelicRock October 17, 2013, 12:58:42

What rock have you been living under, f-rid? This dude produced his first full-length original CD in 1993. Did another original CD with Melvin Seals in 2004 including new Robert Hunter lyrics. Both are on Itunes & CD baby. John’s current band has been playing his original material for 4 years and generally never plays more than 1 or 2 GD-related songs a set. Hate on, but don’t lie.

RightFighter October 17, 2013, 13:43:15

LonglivepsychedelicRock is correct about the nature of the JKB! John was chosen by Bobby and Phil to do a job- which he does very well!! But he is also a talented song writer, and has many other musical interests that are not GD related. Before passing judgement on anyone, we should all take time to admire other’s contributions and realize that things aren’t always what they seem.

funkyriddims October 17, 2013, 13:46:28

I stand corrected. I’ll check it out.

RightFighter October 17, 2013, 13:56:56

Good for you, funkyriddims ! I hope you enjoy!

Bob October 17, 2013, 13:57:17

LOTS of original music during John K Band shows! Browse away here – http://archive.org/details/JohnKadlecik

Aaron M October 17, 2013, 14:02:57

No place for so much negative energy here. Is it really worth someone’s time to actually go out of their way to read an article, and then take the time to be a dick??? If you don’t like it, do go and don’t listen!!! Pretty simple actually. Jerry’s gone, get over it. You want to hear his music in a live setting with some of his old bandmates?? There really isn’t another way. Are Phil and Bobby in a cover band too when they sing Jerry’s songs?? Ahhhh this stupid debate will never end…. Life’s way too short to worry about something like this. JK, I’ve seen you around 50 times with DSO and Furthur and you’re great man, keep up the good work!!!

Rayman October 17, 2013, 14:04:45

Thanks Longlive you are right on the money !
He said it all ! It’s all true ! Check out the JKB

Bill S October 17, 2013, 15:26:48

Why you people waste your time hating on John K blows my mind. How you don’t appreciate him in Furthur blows my mind. I couldn’t be happier with the current lineup. Happy for all the success John has had. But then again…trolls make silly comments all the time.

AcesBack2Back October 17, 2013, 15:56:49

Plenty of us like this line-up & instead of bashing JK or Furthur it’s very simple; if you feel that way just stay home!! IMO, it’s better to see Bobby & Phil with ANY line-up they put together than seeing some local cover band. My favorite was the 2009 line-up when they toured as ‘THE DEAD’ And I still think Warren fills that slot the best!
I never viewed JK as a Jerry replacement. I think JK is the real life version from the movie “Rock Star”- “Obsessed fan/musician” that stepped in shit and got incredibly lucky. No disrespect to DSO but I never thought that they were “ALL THAT”—they weren’t “ALL THAT” than and they’re not “ALL THAT” now – I hope the boys come back in 2015 for a 50th year tour with Phil, Bobby, Billy, Mickey JK, Russo, Hornsby & JC…Why not 3 drummers & 2 keyboards? Be nice to see Warren & a bunch of other special super-star guests that have jammed with the Grateful Dead in the past. Now that’s REALLY wishful thinking!

Jack Straw October 17, 2013, 16:08:42

He has set a precedence that will keep Dead fans fallowing him after Phil and Bobby are gone. I love the late John Lennon cover of nobody told me.

yonder stands your orphan October 17, 2013, 21:55:31

Haters gonna hate

GeneGene October 17, 2013, 23:41:52

John, sorry you have to read this garbage from people who feel compelled to have opinions before doing any research. See ya this weekend at the Drum Fest!

Jillies October 18, 2013, 06:42:49

I love it when people get all wound up defending John K. I’m sure he’s a great guy but devoting your life to mimicking Jerry Garcia would make Jerry Garcia ill. He’s a robot, nothing more. I’m sure he’d agree.

Really!? October 20, 2013, 11:21:37

I love it when people like Jillies speak for Jerry as if they knew him. I can’t recall reading or hearing anything that would lead me to believe that Jerry was a judgmental person. Everyone should speak for themselves rather than trying to put their words in other peoples mouths! Also, musicians commonly play music written by other people. No one rips on a symphony for playing Beethoven. Early in Coltrane’s career he played in groups where he performed music that was composed by his bandleaders like Dizzy and Miles. Lastly, I think its worth noting that the Grateful Dead plays tons of “covers”, both of traditional songs, and also songs that were hits in their day. Does that make them imitators?

Bob November 20, 2013, 19:55:51

I didn’t know Jerry but something tells me he would have loved this guy. He seems like a class act and totally enjoyed seeing him with DSO and Furthur many times. I didn’t get to see the Dead until the 80’s and JK has given me the closest feeling to the earlier shows. While I didn’t think Warren Haynes sound was as good a “fit”, he’s also a class act. Give these guys some slack, they’re trying to fill some big shoes but have they’re own style. Guess who would have supported that??