Published: 2013/10/17

Umphrey’s McGee Opens Fall Tour in Burlington

Umphrey’s McGee opened their Fall Tour last night at Higher Ground in Burlington, VT. The Chicago sextet returned to the stage for their first two set show following a co-bill tour with STS9 as well as opening slots for Widespread Panic in early October.

Opening with a direct intro to “Pay the Snucka,” the band moved through the first section of “Snucka” and “Push the Pig” before digging into their first jam of the evening in “Phil’s Farm.” Included in the lengthy improv was a snippet of “Don’t You Forget About Me” which Brendan Bayliss, Kris Myers and Ryan Stasik covered in their side project The Omega Moos, which also features The New Deal’s Jamie Shields.

The covers and improv didn’t let up as the band also mixed in bits of Neil Young’s “Cinnamon Girl” into the UM classic “Much Obliged” as well as “Eruption” teases and a full “Bulls on Parade” jam in the final segment of “Pay the Snucka.” The second set kept with the cover theme as Umphrey’s opened with The Allman Brothers’ “Jessica” which became a staple cover for the band in late 2012. Lenghty improvs in “Conduit” and “Dump City” allowed the band and crowd to stretch their legs before the closing segment of Motley Crue’s “Dr. Feelgood,” “Higgins” and the UM rarity “Front Porch.” The show closed with a singalong version of “Hangover.”

Umphrey’s McGee’s tour continues tonight in Bridgeport, CT.

Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

Umphrey’s McGee, October 16, 2013, Higher Ground, Burlington, VT

Set I: Pay the Snucka > Push the Pig, Phil’s Farm1, Cemetery Walk, Prowler > Much Obliged -> Cinnamon Girl > Pay the Snucka

Set II: Jessica, White Man’s Moccasins, Conduit, Dump City, Dr. Feelgood > Higgins > Front Porch2

Encore: Hangover > Who Knows > Hangover

[1] with Don’t You Forget About Me (Simple Minds) jam
[2] with Norwegian Wood (The Beatles) jam

Source: All Things Umphrey’s

Comments

SyncopatedStarsky October 17, 2013, 12:41:56

I go to UVM so I was stoked to go with my buddies to the Higher Ground because my friends like Umphreys and I wanted to see a show. It was awesome we all scored FREE tickets outside the show which was very easy to do. The band sounded ok, but clearly the highlights of the show were the cover songs not originals. I have probably seen Umphreys 20 times. The first set seemed like all songs I heard I heard ten years ago with a Neil cover. The Allman Brothers cover really helped set two as they seemed to try out some new jam tune in there but then relied on the cover of Dr. Feelgood to anchor the tail end of the show. Front Porch is a song I really liked, in 2002 in Junior High, but to still have some older guys singing about a college house is pretty weird to this college student. All in all anything for free is fun. Last time I saw UM at the Higher Ground it was much fuller and more annoying, so for free and some good covers you can’t go wrong. I would not pay more than 15 bucks to see them though.

AK October 17, 2013, 13:15:51

That is definitely not a picture from Higher Ground.

Danny October 17, 2013, 14:11:05

Last night was amazing. I dont know what SyncopatedStarsky is talking about or how he got a free ticket. good song selection with a great jam on much obliged. Venue was pretty much full. For a guy who has seen UM close to 100 times last night was def a heater

Erik October 17, 2013, 17:04:05

SyncopatedStarsky, go listen to another dave grohl album

Phreak80 October 17, 2013, 17:09:43

SyncopatedStarsky…. You are an idiot.

Joshua Tree October 17, 2013, 17:23:43

Joshua Tree October 17, 2013, 17:58:09

“The fact that he overlooked that Mulche’s in the first set speaks volumes about his review…” Meant Much Obliged. Ugh – not my day. ;-)

Matt S. October 17, 2013, 20:14:29

The fact that he said he was in junior high in 2002 speaks volumes about his review. And on top of it the first set was “songs he litened to 10 years ago”? So that would make him 12 when he was listening to umphreys? Not to mention they didn’t even play outside the midwest till 2004 or so after their bonnaroo latenight blowout. Wow that’s a lot of toolbag hangin out up there.

Erik get a clue!! October 18, 2013, 09:38:34

@ Erik, Dave Grohl, writes a better tune than any u.m. tune!!! Ur a clueless douche!!!

MattS October 18, 2013, 10:39:51

Matt I saw Umphreys outside of the Midwest in high school in 02? I graduated in 04 so actually in 02 I was 16 and drove to see Umphreys. I saw them at Cervantes twice in 2004. Do the Rockies swing through Indiana and Illinois or are you a UM rookie. I saw better Mulches at street fest shows when the song came out a decade ago. Joshuapee, next time check out the setlist before saying I missed a much obliged which sounds nothing like Mulch. How messed up we’re you at the show man. I saw lots of lost souls with empty eyes like you in that half full Higher Ground. Enjoy the ride brah.

SyncopatedStarsky October 18, 2013, 10:42:33

In fact I would go as far as saying that Much Obloged was worse than ANY Mulch ever played. Then again JoshuaPee thought it was 2×2.

Lynley October 18, 2013, 18:37:21