Published: 2013/10/18

Bill Evans Joins Umphrey’s McGee in Bridgeport

Saxophonist Bill Evans joined Umphrey’s McGee during the second set of their show at The Klein in Bridgeport, CT. Evans joined the band for “Ocean Billy” towards the end of the second set. Evans and Umphrey’s guitarist Jake Cinninger have a familiar recent history, with the two collaborating in Chicago recently for Evans’ Soulgrass Band. During that show, Evans’ Soulgrass group covered the Umphrey’s tune “Glory.” The sax virtuoso also sat in with Umphrey’s McGee during their show at NYC’s Beacon Theatre for the UM original “Example 1.”

The rest of the show featured some other rarities from the band, including Waylon Jennings’ “Luckenbach, Texas,” which hasn’t been played since 2009. “Cruel Summer” by Bananarama made its debut out of “Domino Theory.” The rarely played “All Things Ninja” also made an appearance, as well as the classic “All in Time” which featured a “Jimmy Stewart” with vocals. Umphrey’s tour continues tonight in Northampton, Massachusetts.

Here’s a look at the setlist from last night as it appears in our Box Scores section

Thursday, October 17, The Klein, Bridgeport, CT

Set I: Jekyll & Hyde > Walletsworth, Domino Theory > Cruel Summer* > Domino Theory, The Fussy Dutchman, Syncopated Strangers^, Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love), Day Nurse > Wellwishers, All Things Ninja

Set II: All In Time^^ > The Triple Wide > The Bottom Half, Women Wine and Song > Room to Breathe, Ocean Billy%, Cherub Rock > All In Time

E: Fool In The Rain%%

Notes: *debut, Bananarama
^with Breezin’ (George Benson) jam
^^“Jimmy Stewart” with vocals
%with Bill Evans on saxophone
%%with Ten Years Gone (Led Zeppelin) intro

Comments

Get it Right October 18, 2013, 10:56:53

Do not make it so obvious you do not know UM. In the set list you put a comma in the middle of a song like its two songs. Real UM fans do not appreciate it and think you shouldn’t write about them. I know UM was blowing minds with another set relying on All in Time and Triple Wide and any guest with a pot or pan, but at least get it right on here. It is weird to see them not grow from these venues they used to sell out. I heard Higher Ground was not full at all that makes me very sad as a big UM fan. They sold that bar in Burlington out years ago, so they need to reverse the trend or we are going to see a splintering of my band.

All Things UM October 18, 2013, 11:06:23

The setlist came from All Things Umphrey’s… Probably has to do with the grammar. “City, State”

Andy October 18, 2013, 12:00:36

Get it right, relax and get your facts straight. First if all it’s a typo on the set list. Chill. Secondly Higher Ground was sold out, not sure of the attendance last night. Lastly relix, when Bill Evans say in with UM in NYC I believe he played on the song Example 1, not the mashup on Life During Exodus.

JP October 18, 2013, 12:27:58

^^ What he said…..also, comparing Bill Evans to “anyone with a pot or a pan” showcases how little you know what you’re talking about…...dude is a PHENOMINAL musician. Also, “my band” cracked me up….that was cute.

aron magner of aron magner presents aron magners the disco biscuits October 18, 2013, 12:34:25

Get it Right – its kidz like you that have stopped UM from moving past those venues. The official name of the song has a comma in it, ya, jackass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luckenbach,Texas(Back_to_the_Basics_of_Love) Get a Clue is more like it.

Danny October 18, 2013, 12:44:33

Yea Higher Ground sold out, dont know where your facts are coming from. I wouldnt get your panties in a bunch over a setlist typo. If you think the highlight of the second set was AIT or triple wide (which are great tunes dont get me wrong) you do not know music. Bill Evans is a legend and amazing horn player. I streamed the last two shows and, as always, the boys are on!

andy? October 18, 2013, 13:04:50

Andy If you like you can call the higher ground to see if it was sold out. They get in there around now to look at the books. It most definitely did not sell out at all. People were buying tickets walk up mid first set. Why are you guys trying to imply it was sold out when it wasn’t? Do you have a vested interest in the band or something? Do you need to feel part of something that is shrinking or something? Just watch the band, who cares about how well they are doing if you like them. I certainly do not care how they do, because they try to make money off me on anything they can as a fan. As far as I am concerned, after 07-09 I definitely feel like I am at a 3.0 phase for UM or a nostalgia phase. I dig it, AIT and Trip Wide are great and it brings me back to when I was 22 and those songs were fresh. Nobody is going to tell you Conduit is the path to selling out real venues, not just hybrid bar clubs aside from an occasional weekend gig in a big city.

jamesdinct October 18, 2013, 14:09:02

Not even sure why I read the comments, but reading the ones by andy? and Get It Right made my brain hurt. What a putz. What is a real venue? Jeez I hate it when my favorite band plays a intimate venue with a great sound system. It really stinks when you can get up close to the stage, actually see them playing , and have space to dance vs. bolted in seat with a 1’x1’ square you are restricted to. Es horrible!