Published: 2013/10/19

Phish Opens Fall Tour in Hampton

Last night, Phish kicked off the first of three shows at Hampton, VA’s Hampton Coliseum. These shows are the Vermont Quartet’s first at the famed venue since the band’s 2009 reunion run. The first set featured some of Phish’s shorter numbers, with tunes like “Mound,” “Army of One,” “Nellie Kane” and “Bouncing Round the Room” showing up. However, the set certainly didn’t lack improv as “Wolfman’s Brother,” “Stash” and “Walls of the Cave” all contained a fair amount of jamming.

The second frame began with an unlikely “Twist” which the band stretched out to past the ten-minute mark with a Page McConnell-led jam. Again, some of Phish’s shorter tunes were on display in the middle of the set, with “Sparkle” and “Cavern” both anchoring the middle of set two. Once again, Phish returned with the improv as “Carini” stretched to seventeen minutes before transitioning into “Backwards Down the Number Line.”

The Phish hijinks weren’t lacking during this particular version of “Run Like an Antelope,” as bassist Mike Gordon took a “drill solo” by tapping on his instrument to make the sound of an electric drill. This came after Trey Anastasio pointed out to the crowd that Gordon was wearing glow in the dark sneakers. Los Lobos’ “When the Circus Comes” made a rare appearance in the encore before “Suzy Greenberg” closed the proceedings at Hampton. Phish returns tonight and tomorrow before heading off to Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY.

Here’s the show as it appears in our Box Scores section:

Friday, October 18, 2013, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

Set I: Wolfman’s Brother, Runaway Jim, Mound, Chalk Dust Torture, Army of One, Nellie Kane, Stash, Ocelot, Rift, Bouncing Around the Room, Walls of the Cave

Set II: Twist > Free > Roggae, Sparkle > Cavern > Carini > Backwards Down the Number Line, Twenty Years Later, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Run Like an Antelope*

E: When the Circus Comes, Suzy Greenberg

Notes: *Drill solo by Mike; “Mike-O Esquandolas” lyric.

Comments

kye October 19, 2013, 13:48:22

Holy Carini made the mothership blast off!

Snitch October 19, 2013, 14:27:30

Did Trey invite the DEA again to round up the wookies?

Owen October 19, 2013, 17:26:03

Mike didn’t make a drill sound with his bass, he actually used an electric drill. You could see the drill on stage during the entire show.

HarveyLarvae October 19, 2013, 17:57:24

To Matt Marcino, Tom Haynsworth and all the phish-heads who saw musical drill mastery last night, I give you the lumberjack song http://youtu.be/A52p9jc-gOo

me October 19, 2013, 21:20:07

Hey Jambands… being a Rochester area native, technically, the location of the show is the Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester War Memorial… It used to just be the Rochester War Memorial… until money needed to be raised. It would be nice to see “War Memorial” included when referencing it… I may be nitpicking but I think it’s a simple thing to do to honor the sacrifice of many…

Captain detail October 20, 2013, 00:26:53

Hey me, would you like them to include the latitude and longitude coordinates as well. Or any other specific details about the construction firm that built the arena. Not to be nitpicking but I think people who say “nitpick “ should wipe the jizz of their chin. Ps. See all you skids on tues

spedsonkeds October 20, 2013, 07:41:53

Rochester War Memorial. Ahhhhhh.
85. Oh sorry. Anyway, had to be there.
Its like a dead flower that comes alive
if the music and crowd are worthy.

me October 22, 2013, 11:51:56

Hey Captain… any of your family serve in WWII and/or Vietnam? Talk to them… a War Memorial is a thank you to each person who had to do something no person wants to do… Perhaps we could meet at the War Memorial this evening so you could wipe the jizz off my face? I’m no tough guy, in fact I don’t like violence at all but I’d be happy to say anything I’ve said to your face, how about you? Have some respect when you are seeing Phish in the building that was built thanks to the sacrifice of many others…