Published: 2013/10/25

Huey Lewis Thinks It’s Nice That Phish is Considering Sports

If anyone was wondering what Huey Lewis and The News thought about Phish potentially covering their classic album Sports, they now have an answer. The band posted a tweet from their verified account today that links to an article on the subject, along with some text that reads, “This could be a @Phish fake out, but it is still nice to be considered.”

As previously reported, fans that watched the live webcast of Phish’s Wednesday night performance at the Glens Falls Civic Center were treated to a goofy video that provided some “clues” about the album that the band will cover during their Halloween show. The hints all pointed to Huey Lewis and The News’ 1984 release Sports, but, as Lewis seems to understand, there’s a good chance the band is just pulling our leg.

Comments

oh god October 25, 2013, 12:32:40

I really hope this isn’t the case… I would feel like a douche flying across the country to hear phish play this album….

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!! October 25, 2013, 12:43:10

whatever… it would be a throw-down…. only problem: not nearly enough songs…. phish almost always plays a double disc on halloween…..

Well..... October 25, 2013, 12:44:43

You should feel like a douche for flying to see Phish in the fist place. Huey is the man!

W October 25, 2013, 12:55:23

They should do The Cars self-titled or Gary Numan’s The Pleasure Principle… Sports would be sweet though. Nothing wrong with giving Halloween some style

IBelieveItAllStartedUpInTheMountainsLastYear October 25, 2013, 12:56:04

Huey likes with jam bands. He’s on an Umphrey’s album. btw Heart and Soul is an incredible song… especially when UM plays it

Yes October 25, 2013, 13:03:24

I agree, The Cars would be a lot of fun. A double disc, Cars and Huey, that would be cool.

beargonefishing October 25, 2013, 13:08:33

To the previous comment, you wouldn’t be a douche for flying across country to hear them play this classic album. You are a douche for flying across the country to see Phish at all! This isn’t @ 1997 and face it, Huey Lewis is far cooler than the Velvet Underground or Little Feat trash they have played at Halloween. If you really thought they would play a dead album or cover a Zeppelin album they have already played most every song from in the past, you obviously don’t know Phish. It’s about expanding the envelope of what one would expect. Or at least it was when they were worth traveling across country for as I did from 94-2000!

beargonefishing October 25, 2013, 13:09:58

Oh and to all you 3.0 Phish fans that still don’t have a clue, Bruce Hornsby wrote half or more of the hits Huey Lewis had, so if Huey is a douche, then you are saying Hornsby is as well. That my friend makes you a huge douche master!!!!!

GO HOME October 25, 2013, 13:16:48

beargonefishing, you are the reason a lot of Phish phans suck.

JW October 25, 2013, 13:23:32

This is such a classic album! Bring it!

lamehalloweentocover October 25, 2013, 13:37:05

Huey has one good song that stands the test of time “i want a new drug” oh what a tune!!! Timeless!!!!! They should cover slayer !! Trey is a fan!! But than again fishman could neva do the drums!!

Snitch October 25, 2013, 13:44:14

Trey can play I Want a New Drug reprise as his friends from the DEA round up all the wookies.

mike October 25, 2013, 14:11:12

NOTHING could be worse than the little feat they dumped on us last time. I’ve only seen two halloween shows by Phish, the white album and little feat. seriously, huey lewis would have been awesome compared to LF. rant over

1990's ROCK October 25, 2013, 14:41:59

Oh come on, Huey was on everyone’s mixed cassettes back in the day when the haters were learning to wipe. Back to the Future on the tube, still is a classic… Think about it 3.0 phriends not like you’ll remember the show, and that’s cool too, just ‘take it easy’ maybe the eagles will win. I saw the stones at fest 8 for show one zillion and it was great fun, when trey instructed all to sit for the sunny afternoon set my wife didn’t hear and he pointed (oh my!) and said ‘yes, YOU Sit’ so she thinks. Oh what fun it is. Huey…

1980's rock October 25, 2013, 14:44:28

Oh, the 80’s rocked too. Back when …
Boardwalk Hall and Huey just go well together, don’t need no credit card to drive this train…

matt wasel October 25, 2013, 14:46:11

no negativity here, but to call Little Feats Waiting for Columbus trash is just not right and near sighted at best…one of the best live albums ever…..i loved it…..anyway, it will be great no matter what they play…..this will be my 3rd (1995, 2010) halloween and its just cool they are donning a musical costume again…..very cool indeed…..(i secretly want Boston’s 1st album or Led Zep any album)...either way its goona rock and just its fun to guess…relax and have fun bitches!

cosmicbein October 25, 2013, 15:15:24

Cool it on the bad the vibes for Huey,he put out a song for the Viet Nam Vets called “Walkin On A Thin Line”.Classic fuckin tune about the hardships of Nam and after. If Phish could only play this, i would call it a draw.Happy Halloween just the same.

BigB October 25, 2013, 17:45:09

Huey! He was a friend to Phil Lynnott, and he is a friend of mine.

hank(us) October 25, 2013, 18:18:57

Little Feat’s Waiting For Columbus … trash? What non-musical rock did you crawl out from under? Philistine …

MarZaPhiGar October 25, 2013, 19:44:31

I can’t believe we’re even having this discussion.

Zelmo Baum October 25, 2013, 21:18:23

I like Huey – saw him once play harmonica with the Grateful Dead (8/22/93). Anything they play on 10/31 will be interesting. Whiners suck.

DPJR October 25, 2013, 22:52:17

I’m 52 now and was never a Huey Lewis fan, although I never found his music offensive. It was just harmless pop.
(no offense to Huey Lewis fans)
I know he’s from the Bay Area and has played with many great musicians.
I just wouldn’t want to hear it, plain and simple.
It doesn’t even come close to other albums Phish has covered in terms of historical significance.

Just sayin October 26, 2013, 00:00:03

30th anniversary of phish, 35th anniversary of the last waltz. I’d bet the house they are playing The Band w/ Giant Country Horns and various guests. Just sayin.

fl├╝gan October 26, 2013, 00:26:12

Lamb lies down on broadway

Chris Lagemann October 26, 2013, 00:52:51

Little Feat trash? Obviously has a bubble gummers pallet…Unrefined and a mainstreamer….Poor Sap…

drasticjasper October 26, 2013, 04:17:02

I was in high school when huey lewis came out and sorry nobody liked him it just wasn’t rock…it was like your grandfather trying to rock even back then

squigs October 26, 2013, 07:40:44

Remain In Light and Loaded were single disc records that ran for 40 minutes so length should never be an issue. Any double album is a gift. I call an Elton John album.

Mr.Eastwood October 26, 2013, 13:03:55

Oh come on! I think everyone should just lighten up! I took a few minutes to spin Huey Lewis today and smiled the whole time…it would be a blast to see Phish pull this off! I guarantee that even the biggest asshole in the crowd will smile ear to ear and wish their ego would let them sing along!

timmy October 26, 2013, 13:42:40

To everybody criticizing people who fly across country to see Phish: Go fuck yourself. Last time I checked, Phish is an iconic band playing in their 30th year. I don’t give a rat’s ass if you call them 3.0 or 2.5 or 0.1. Whatever. They are a legendary band with all four original members still putting on great shows to this day. Anybody who witnessed the west coast run last summer or the second night of Dick’s can tell you this is no nostalgia act. Phish and Dead snobs always whine and cry when “their” band plays to a massive audience longer than what they deem appropriate. Well, fuck off and don’t go. Leaves the rest of us more room to dance. Has the scene changed? Yes. Are there annoying noobs? Yes. Almost as many as the annoying elitist vets. I am neither I’ve seen about 35 shows going back to ’97. What does that make me? Just a guy who likes Phish. Here’s to 30 more.

MarZaPhiGar October 26, 2013, 13:44:23

The day of Thriller will soon come.

Gratefulted October 27, 2013, 20:05:20

Van Halen 1984

BrianOC October 27, 2013, 21:59:56

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY!!!!!!!

Aaron Brown October 28, 2013, 19:42:53

You’ll get what they give you, and you’ll fucking love it! Come throw down with the MadHatter on Thursday night. We’re going to leave it all on the field. Oh, by the way, I was there for 1.0. Fortunately for those of us still enjoying what’s best, 3.0 is now better!

Poster October 30, 2013, 08:40:24

Skullfuck or Eat a Peach

melissaphish October 30, 2013, 09:29:37

beargonefishing – fuck off. Seriously. If you think Phish isn’t worth all the efforts people put in to see them you clearly are not paying enough attention. Take your 1.0 snobbery and shove it. The shows I saw over the weekend stand up as some of the best Phish I have seen in 18 years as a fan.

Piper72 October 31, 2013, 12:16:39

Five things – 1.) Whatever it is, it’s gotta have a big honkin’ pipe organ, cause they got use of the recently restored one at AC.
2.) If any year’s the year for Thriller, this is. 3.) Phish rules.
4.) We were all noobs once.
5.) See #3.

gramps October 31, 2013, 15:24:46

I would never be so bold as to tell the GBOAT what to play, even this light-weight Phish Head knows that’s antithetical to the whole thing. But please please dear god please play The Band. I don’t ask for much, I’ve been good. While you’re at it go ahead and play both Pink and the self titled. If you do I promise to stop yelling for “Simple” at every show. (I’m 0 / 10 on seeing Simple!)

Otto November 1, 2013, 09:54:13

I am not a Huey fan and don’t like that album at all. But any man that has played with the Grateful Dead AND Thin Lizzy gets mad respect from me.

beau g November 1, 2013, 18:43:07

Bill Graham and Huey were tight…that may have something to do w/ all collaborations. Huey is the man.

matthew November 2, 2013, 23:55:10

Huey Lewis, Jerry, Sammy Hagar, where all close neighbors

matthew November 3, 2013, 00:04:35

Jerry was a neighbor to Dave Crosby
Huey Lewis, and Sammy Hagar

rageboy November 5, 2013, 08:43:23

saw huey on the sports tour walked out early lowell george he was not sorry hugh the wagon on stage great stuff news

papag December 2, 2013, 00:04:50

For the record….....bruce hornsby did write a couple tunes for huey but thats it…. All the boys in HLN wrote 95% of all their songs… And produced most of thier albums…. And to know this makes me extremely square… But hey its “hip to be square” ....by the way..i was in high school when they came on the scene and they are still the coolest band around…..and still getting better…dont hate