Published: 2013/10/31

Phish to Play Their New Album Wingsuit for Halloween

It looks as though Phish will “cover” their own forthcoming album Wingsuit during tonight’s Halloween show at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ.

The news came after the doors to the venue opened and fans were handed the traditional “Phishbill,” which you can see above. The revelation ends months of speculation by fans, who will now be able to hear the new material that Phish have been working on for some time. The album’s tracklist can also be viewed below.

The Phishbill—which features an article written by former Relix editor Josh Baron—notes that band will be breaking from tradition by debuting “a bunch of material from our new album, which we begin recording in three days.” The book also features a couple of parody ads, including one for “Woo X: The first and only dermal patch clinically proven to subdue the woo” and “Gordon’s House of Scarves & Drills.” The full Phishbill can now be read here, and a full tracklist for Wingsuit can be viewed below.

Wingsuit tracklist:

9. 555
10. Winterqueen
11. Amidst The Peals of Laughter
12. You Never Know

Comments

Abe October 31, 2013, 22:31:32

Wow big disappointment, wouldn’t be so bad but, they haven’t put out a original new song since the 90’s, this too may be a joke and they might pull out a huge 3rd set, wow what a bummer

CDTW October 31, 2013, 22:32:35

Eric, You’re a whiney bitch.

Doug October 31, 2013, 22:35:11

Their musical costume is the real Woo-X… Doesn’t make me want to Woo at all.

Mujibur October 31, 2013, 22:42:05

There is no way on god’s green earth that every fan at this show is not getting their money’s worth. We’ve all seen a ton of bands shortchange their crowd and Phish is NOT one of them. Peace out and Happy Halloween!

Twanky October 31, 2013, 22:46:58

We were tricked, but definitely not treated. They better come with it next set.

Drew October 31, 2013, 22:53:50

Awww, are you crying? Eric and everyone else bitching about seeing Phish can suck one. Straight up. They never promised to cover an album and if all you wanted to do was see covers then you should’ve went to a fucking karaoke bar. I see Phish to see Phish. Whatever it is that they decide to play is what seeing Phish is all about. Stop whining like a little baby without a tit to suck on and appreciate the moment for what it is, especially since right now we’re talking about NEW MUSIC! You should’ve learned by now to leave your expectations at home. If you don’t like the band then don’t go. I would’ve loved to be there.

Hurls October 31, 2013, 22:57:16

Wow you fucking jaded vets. A whole set of BRAND NEW songs and you crap on it. You know what? Go fuck off and follow the Biscuits or some other shitty band. We dont need you anymore. Fuck. Off.

cactus October 31, 2013, 22:57:56

Bummer. I didn’t dress up as myself this Halloween.When it’s a musical costume and you cover your new album, you’re doing it wrong.

N October 31, 2013, 23:02:07

Kudos for doing what you do PHiSH. A costume was never promised and instead you deliver a whole set of NEW music. 30 years later, it’s great that you four are still having fun writing together and looking forward to these all stretching out down the road. Well done. PS – Thank you for Hampton and the rest of an amazing fall tour.

Chuckmiester October 31, 2013, 23:03:23

They should’ve called this CD “Smoke Break”.

deviltone October 31, 2013, 23:06:00

Some of you entitled little bitches who think your “phans” need to just fuck off already! I’m almost glad this is so polarizing.

PhishPhanPhorever October 31, 2013, 23:06:33

Drew and hurls – Honestly you can’t be pumped about this set. If you are, then YOU are not the true phan, YOU are just a poser pretending to be one. Don’t just like phish cuz they’re phish. Like phish because they rock your socks off. This does not rock my socks off. Also, don’t get so angry over internet posts. Lol, save yourself the stress… Hoping for a rocking 3rd set though!

ALKSJD October 31, 2013, 23:08:59

no royalties when they play their own shit.

Kerny October 31, 2013, 23:35:15

I can’t believe people are upset over this. It’s a total left-field move and I love it. I’d rather hear new music, and for sure some songs might suck and others might grow legs, but I’d rather hear new tunes than listen to a cover of some ’70’s classic rock album. This is important to the band, and I think it’s a solid move.

brosir October 31, 2013, 23:38:49

“We had such a great time writing and hanging out together creating this new material. But nothing could make us happier than having your energy and imprint on our new album. Music is a spiritual language. Your energy is obviously embedded in everything we’ve ever done, but what’s happening tonight is more of a tangible thing. The songs always change so much as soon as we play them together with all of you. Playing these songs tonight is a way that we can geet them dirty and mess them up a little before we record them. And the live energy of a Phish audience will be directly involved in the making of our new album, as we all celebrate 30 years together.” – What a pleasure to be at that show.

Antron October 31, 2013, 23:40:57

New music means the band is still moving forward and enjoying the process of creation. get on board.

Axis Bold as Boognish October 31, 2013, 23:41:58

OK, so Phish knew everyone in attendance and everyone watching online paid to see Phish cover someone else’s album in the second set. I wanted “English Settlement” or “Apostrophe.” Then the music started and it was unrecognizable. That was not what ultimately disappointed me, or really what people should be disappointed by, because where was the promise that a cover album would be performed? That’s an expectation, not a guarantee. What disappointed me was that the songs were shitty. As a fan of a band, it’s fine to say “Well, I love these guys but this sucks.” Just like if my favorite sports team plays a bad game, there isn’t anything wrong with saying, “Well, they sure laid a turd on the field. There’s always next year.” For anyone disappointed in the virtual songwriting workshop they paid to experience tonight, just imagine – what if it had been a good album? That would’ve come off as bold and exciting and fun and enjoyable. But realistically, this is a band that hasn’t made a truly memorable, remarkable album of new songs (one Phish fans would buy and love if it was another band’s album) since Clinton was president. I love “Farmhouse” but even that was mostly songs they’d fleshed out for years. Anyway, I’ll just have to close my eyes and remember watching Phish compose a set of music on the spot, in 2003, atop a control tower in Maine. Now that was bold, exciting, fun and enjoyable.

Chatsworth October 31, 2013, 23:51:29

Well Im 9 months pregnant and i just wish i was there to complain about not getting a “real “cover, but come on don’t they ALWAYS surprise us? Ive been seeing them since ’94 and I would be disappointed, but not really cause I’d be in AC seeing the boys and then partying at the casino and then doing it again the next day and again the next day! GEEZ can we cut them some slack???

Fluffhead817 November 1, 2013, 00:36:32

I was bummed at first to hear no costume was coming but not enough to turn into a whinny bitch, some songs worked others did not:
Wingsuit – Set 2
1) kinda dark/somber musically
2) interesting lyrics, good jam in middle with fish
3) very TAB song feel
4) acoustic mini set setup, good pace, back and forth vocals with trey and page, who’s Monica?, nice harmonies
5) slow jazzish, break up song?, what is this?
6) straight funk, fish vocals, fun, um what the fuck is happening on stage? Choreographed dance with a wombat mascot, 1st jammed song
7) acoustic mini set setup, Gordon on steel guitar and vocals, seven below feel musically
8) good groove, so/so lyrics, catchy groove, decent trey solo’s fit the groove, TAB feel
9) good Gordon lead on base, typical Gordon song vocally with trey harmonies, nice page soloing, some nice jamming then tension building with trey goes nowhere fades out song ends
10) TAB feel immediately, 1st fun/happy-go-lucky story telling lyrics, into slow jam playful on keys, almost a back and forth with page and trey
11) trey thanks crowd for letting them do this before song starts, this is not THE album only ideas so far, trey and page solo mini acoustic set up, beat lyrics of the night, could be a huge hit, I love it
12) trey says most song are about people, “this is a song about a guy who stole all of our money”, very phishy feel, walls of the cave style, fun lyrics, good fun dance paced groove, rotate singing each line in verses, good bit of potential live
2, 6, 10, 11, 12, probably the songs I liked the most

Remember November 1, 2013, 00:54:15

I recall not all that long ago when there was no Phish. And people would have been happy to see one reunion show like so many other bands do. How quickly they forget … Remember what Warren Zevon said when he was dying? enjoy every sandwich

chahlie November 1, 2013, 00:56:08

Best. Idea. Ever.

chahlie November 1, 2013, 01:08:32

aaaand they did NOT debut “Farmhouse” on Letterman

Thomas November 1, 2013, 01:13:19

I wasn’t there and could only listen to Wingsuit, But super exited they are coming out with a new album!!! All you haters out there can go suck a Big one!!! Any real fan of the band would be pumped up. Lets go Phish!!!!!

Jayp November 1, 2013, 01:16:44

Damn. I’m actually surprised by the negative responses. I shouldn’t be, i know better. Ive been thinking it was good and i can really annoy my friends with my analyzing. Through the whole set i was thinking, it sounds like a phish album. Great! Then i come in here and everybody done got they blankets wet. It never occurred to me to not like it. Pretty rad move.

f'ing lame November 1, 2013, 02:02:54

Jeebus Phish is sew ghey. Time to pull to the Meatstick outta yet butt and listen to WSMFP

G. November 1, 2013, 03:57:12

Haters: Stay home next time. Fans: Unfortunately, we all know that this is the last time we will ever hear these new songs in this traditional album track way & all together. This WAS their costume, ‘cause we never hear them play their own album material this way (like the current trend has been with bands covering their old albums lately). That’s the joke. Those who get it, get it. Thank you Phish for continuing to challenge yourselves and US!

Jensen November 1, 2013, 04:07:26

Smoke Break made me laugh. I thru down for the stream last minute while working at a Boarding school of
five sixteen year olds. None have even heard of Phish. When I talked up the show & the costume set, they were sort of whatever. First set played a lot of older stuff, they thought it was Awesome! Second set they left. Two kids stayed for the third. They wouldn’t know 555 from Stash. I was entertained and wouldn’t complain about it. The video with Abe then the follow up of the costume contest at set got the guys rolling. They asked me if it was the same as my first show, my reply? Uh No. I guess my point is familiarity is comfortable. WTF! Where is my Icculus opener? Oh yeah, back in College…

GiK November 1, 2013, 05:14:43

Sorry to say but Phish is over in late ’90 for 25 $ go to see Railroad Earth, best band today out there

schmidtfoot November 1, 2013, 07:37:31

I stopped seeing phish about a yr ago after over 100 shows and 9 festivals. Why?? Because they have basically been “covering “ their own music since they came back. The problem is, most bands have the flexibility to grow and change their music over time keeping it new and fresh, but phish has to answer to you jerk off internet douschebags on every last note of every show. You guys don’t want art…you want xyz and a chance to see gamehenge…guess what? most of phishs songs suck. like every other band. and their new music is weak, just like every other band that’s been around 30 yrs. So stop bitching, learn a little about t rock and roll history and what typically happens to bands after touring for 30 yrs ( here’s a hint, not many do, and it usually doesn’t end pretty for the ones who do), and maybe go see a show without getting fucked up and see how interesting that 20 min golden age is now. And one more thing…the only reason some of you ediots listen to people like frank Zappa is because phish covers peaches en regalia….most of you wouldn’t know Zappa if it bit you in the ass…when they played exile on main street 90 % of the crowd was completely unfamiliar with the album (but they all sang along to loving cup of course) which basically proves that phish fans are narrow minded about music, and generally uneducated in regards to the history of music outside of the phish bubble.

duggy November 1, 2013, 08:29:35

Huh? You folks are baffling me. I honestly thought covering their “future album” was brilliant — and I thoroughly enjoyed the set soaking up NEW PHISH! (Disclaimer: I was on couch tour) I’m not saying it was the best music I’ve ever heard, but the performance was inspired and the music was strong and interesting. In the past, the band has announced they will be wearing a “musical costume” for Halloween — not once did the band announce that this year, and I was wondering up until show time last night what would actually go down since they had NOT stated they would perform a cover. How can any phan NOT enjoy a set of NEW PHISH?! No matter what night it’s played … I mean: Why are you going? Just puzzling … I’m sorry you all focused on such negative energy rather than just accepting and seeing where the music led you … we all know that everyone would be likewise bitching about the chosen cover album had the band gone that route, so … it was lose/lose no matter what they did, but to my ears that was win/win … NEW PHISH!

Andy November 1, 2013, 08:52:01

Loved the idea, loved hearing so much new material. I haven’t been so pleasantly surprised by what the band did last night since the Moby Dick show. I hope I would be aware enough to stop listening to this band if I was bitching so much about this amazing experience. Well done, Phish, and to the complainers….suck it.

FreeD November 1, 2013, 09:50:21

My boyfriend and I were so relieved we weren’t there… As avid Phish phans I have been able to see all sorts of halloween shows, nye and a bunch more. Meanwhile, the price, the hype for the musical costume is huge… I would have been pissed to spend so much $$ and not get a cover. I think the band keeps playing their old songs over and over again… They are just rotating them… First set didn’t have any OMG songs… Just eh… While I am sure they have some AMAZING new stuff – don’t pull a bait and switch. Phish happens to be one of the best cover bands of ALL time – their original music is great – but their covers are truly special as they are talented musicians. This feel like a marketing ploy – a way for phish to sell their new music. A way for them not to have to learn and practice some other bands songs… Their devoted phollowers deserve more… What they have delivered for years. The band is still talented – but they are clearly tired and do this for the money and not just for the music… I was so grateful I didn’t spend my hard earned money to go to AC — hopefully we’ll get to hear some of the songs they haven’t played in ages as time goes on… One of my phriends waited overnight for 24 hours to see this show. He wanted Genesis… Either way – I am sure he will say he loved it cuz Phish can do no wrong in his opinion — but the truth is they screwed over there phans. Plain and simple.

me November 1, 2013, 11:25:19

If there is one good thing about those who are crying, it’s that quite a few say they spent lots of money to be there… if that equates to you paying above face for a ticket, then I’m glad you’re pissed… you created all the hype in your head, and by spending gobs of money… Phish continues to try stuff, even if you hated last night’s music, at least they tried something different… and if you can’t appreciate Phish enough to listen to their new music, how exactly is it you call yourself a fan? You bitch about old songs being played over and over, then you bitch about new songs… God, it’s like watching a dog chase it’s tail…

Axis Bold as Boognish November 1, 2013, 11:33:14

I love these guys. I really do. But Page’s comment about how great the “acceptance” of the fans was last night struck me as lacking any basis in reality, because how many people would’ve accepted the cost for traveling to the show, paying for a ticket, or even paying for the webcast if they knew they were paying to see a performance of the band’s latest adult contemporary compositions?

Jeff November 1, 2013, 12:24:52

Greg, #XFG yourself!

Abe November 1, 2013, 12:49:40

FreeD- Dumbest comment on the board, congrats! Creating new music is much more effort then learning covers.

Adam November 1, 2013, 14:06:29

Anyone that is upset, bummed out or displeased with what happened last night is not a Phish fan. Are you saying you would rather hear Phish be a cover band than their own band? What they did is unprecedented, original, brave, and incredibly amazing. For those who didn’t like it or don’t agree… please stop listening and leave them to us, their real fans. Unbelievable.

Adam November 1, 2013, 14:10:16

BTW, why does everyone feel that Phish owes them a cover album? Did they say somewhere that Phish will be performing a musical costume? Please provide proof. Nailed you fuckers… suck a butt!!!

me November 1, 2013, 14:11:11

If people don’t stop complaining, I’ll just have to keep posting!

Rich November 1, 2013, 16:36:09

To all you spoiled little shits from a 21 year vet… you are such a bunch of sad sad little children. What Phish gave you last night was Phish doing what they do best. Full of surprises. I had to watch the whole thing on television. I would have KILLED to be there. The amount of self entitlement from people that call themselves “fans” would be pathetic if weren’t so damn sad. Phish treated you to 3 sets of great music. Shut your damn mouths and learn to appreciate what this band has given you. 30 years of the greatest rock n roll on this planet or any other. SUCK IT YOU BABIES!!!

Timmy C November 2, 2013, 07:09:46

Loved it, from beginning to end. There isn’t one bummer in the whole “Wingsuit” flock. After thirty years, they’re continuing to reinvent themselves. How could anyone crap on them for this risky success? These songs are all going to evolve, this band evolves, yet it seems some Phans are content to remain stagnant. Too bad for them, I guess. Rock On, Boys.

Juan November 2, 2013, 13:05:21

I love that if you don’t have a bursting purple erection for every single thing Phish does you’re considered a “hater” and you should “fuck off”. You’re all fucking weirdo nuts. P.S. Being a weirdo nut is good.

Wags8-8-98 November 2, 2013, 18:25:29

God
To all who are complaining about hearing the new record, stop bitching.
Do you remember when they didn’t play?
Maybe you don’t, but I do.
The new album is actually good, and it was a awesome move to bust it out during these shows.
If you went to see a cover album, well sorry you got a new album that no one had ever heard and was freaking great, and will be the new tunes we all freak out to in the years to come.
Grow up some, like the band or don’t.
If you don’t like what there doing you can always not go or listen.
Bandwagon phans can leave now.

Matt November 3, 2013, 00:49:39

Massive disappointment. It would have been one thing if all of the songs were great, but most of them were quite pedestrian. Ultimately, it came down to sheer laziness by Phish: they were making a new album and probably decided that rehearsing a cover album was too much work, so they just fell back on the new one. No amount of apologies by the band can ever undo what they did to us.

Adam November 4, 2013, 18:48:38

erick November 6, 2013, 14:21:25

A lot of opinions on the show, new record and decision to play it on haloween.. Its clear that people either love it or hate it. One things for sure people feel the need to talk about it. Could you imagine if the 4some never met!? Or didn’t stick together when playing back in the 80’s!? None of this would exist! I wouldn’t be writing about it, you wouldn’t be reading about it. Heavy criticism comes with taking risks. Can’t sit here and expect them to not want to try new things and go in different directions. Not one of the posts came from a person who’s been playing in a successful band for 30 years. Passionate phans seem to think Halloween shows have to have a costume. Theres no rules when it comes to a phish show. At least that’s what I’ve experienced since I first saw them Alpine 1998. Ask yourself what you like about Phish. Why you still have passion for them and you’ll get those goosebumps again and everything will be ok. Put your favorite phish moment on the hd system and relax everything will be ok. breathe humans! Breathe! !!!!!

Penny November 25, 2013, 08:52:52

Wingsuit = garbage they should stop writing music and concentrate on th songs they already play which they apparently forgot how to play because they keep the same 23 songs in heavy rotation. They are going to be as commercialized as DMB soon… Don’t know if I will keep touring after that monstrosity!!!!

Joe Moe Tokyo December 15, 2013, 21:30:13

This is a bold move. No, Phish is not a cover band, and they’re not a nostalgia act, just repeating the same stunts over and over until it becomes a cliche. You people crying that they should’ve done this or that need to get a bottle upside the head (by Millie).
These songs are still in the development stage but I like a lot of the new tunes – evocative and gorgeous music and it even has interesting lyrics(!). Yet they still have that critical Phish sense of humor that so many of the people here seem to lack. I loved the Abe Vigoda/Wombat/Dancer/Don Gordeleone antics. I liked most of the songs, Fuego, The Line, Monica, Waiting All Night, Devotion to a Dream, and You Never Know, in particular.
My only gripes are: 1) I hope they change or take out the part in Wombat where Fish is rapping. It might be a joke, but it’s still cringeworthy – a sour note in a funky-a$$ jam.
2) The title song is a little cliched (think Floyd’s Learning to Fly) and too slow for a song ostensibly about wingsuits (those dudes go fast!). It’s better suited to paragliding or hot air balloning.

Lawn Guru December 22, 2013, 01:05:44

All these Posts from all the So CALLED PHANS JUST MAKE
ME LAUGH.Did it ever occur to anyone that their Whole M.O
Is the break from the Norm?Oh, Im sorry, most of you t“true” phans wouldnt know a G Cord from a fuckin G Spot, Which you Pob. Couldnt find either. Listening to the Wingsuit songs, While not all were Diamonds, most will eventially rate as good/ to very good after bout 2/3 tours worth of play. After 22 yrs of touring, I thought people that go see or listens to MY FUCKING NAND-Which I love Dearly, would have a Clue?!? Pls go back to your Piss, Watered down average College,Popular Bands Fukin Nuebs…

KBeezy October 31, 2013, 18:55:28

marc October 31, 2013, 19:09:34

Winterqueen

Fresh Ears October 31, 2013, 19:21:55

New material is well overdue and this a great time to get everyone’s attention. A surprising choice that no one guessed either…look forward to hearing it!

jeff October 31, 2013, 19:29:28

Must be a colossal disappointment to all those attending the show.

Sparks October 31, 2013, 19:43:30

Isnt it considered lame if you go to a Halloween party and your costume is just you?

Zelmo Baum October 31, 2013, 19:50:09

I can just imagine all of those people who were lamenting the prospect of hearing Huey Lewis’ “Sports” shouting “I Want a New Drug” half-way through the first song from Wingsuit. Happy Halloween.

Clive Bigsby October 31, 2013, 19:50:11

Wow, wonder what the fans attending the show are thinking about this. I think it’s awesome. New Phish, yes!

WookerT October 31, 2013, 19:56:52

Encore Zappa live at the Fillmore East ’71

bomagosh October 31, 2013, 20:31:29

Encore Zappa live at Montreaux, 71.

Greg October 31, 2013, 21:31:58

Jeff. You’re a colossal disappointment…

George October 31, 2013, 21:36:31

Bold move, for sure. Like when they played Letterman and played a brand new, never before played song (Farmhouse). They have a core of fans who expect them to be unpredictable and to challenge them. 30 years later they’re still doing it.

j murda October 31, 2013, 22:14:59

I think its pretty awesome. so hate that I’m missing this and can’t wait for the livephish tomorrow. Love the ads in the Phishbill too. Woo-X people.. pick yours up today! (seriously)...

Eric October 31, 2013, 22:15:00

Awesome, glad they charged $20 for me to hear their. Ew material. Wonderful! Glad to see Phish charges extra for their fans to be exposed to their new material. I spent extra to see a holloween costume not a FRICKING new phish album.