Published: 2013/11/02

Phish Delivers a "Twist" For the Ages in Atlantic City

Phish continued their run at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall with a cohesive, intense show that featured some of the best Phish has to offer on the improv front as well as classic Phish humor. After covering themselves last night, performing their forthcoming release Wingsuit, the band followed up that show with a set full of familiar tunes.

Mixing old with new, The Phish slotted “Cavern” in the rare opening slot. “Runaway Jim” set the theme for the night when the band included quotes from “Shaft” adapted to Mike Gordon (“Who’s the green private dick who’s a sex machine to all the chicks? Cactus! John Cactus”), and that theme would continue throughout the night. “Sand” made a rare first set appearance, bringing the funk early on. After a pair of Phish 3.0’s more disappointing songs, “Halley’s Comet” and “Tube,” “Possum” provided a rare bright spot. “Jesus Just Left Chicago” and “David Bowie” closed the set, with “Bowie” containing some quotes from “Jesus Just Left Chicago” as well. One thing worth noting—before the performance of “Halfway to the Moon,” Trey Anastasio remarked that the band was excited

Opening the second set, “Twist” provided the highlight for the night and a highlight of Phish 3.0 (and possibly beyond) with one of the standout versions of “Twist” ever. Clocking in at over twenty minutes, this particular version of “Twist” simply exploded, with the band utilizing their interplay to expertly craft a beautiful “Under Pressure” jam along with a huge chunk of improv.

The set took on a playful vibe after Phish finished delivering the performance of the night. “Makisupa Policeman” made it’s Fall Tour debut before giving way to more serious jamming in “Light” and a rare second-set “Chalkdust Torture.” “Meatstick” started a certain song and dance section of the show, as “Boogie On Reggae Woman” kept the party going, along with “The Wedge.” Phish’s live staple “Slave to the Traffic Light” brought the second set to a close. “Sneaking Sally Through the Alley” contained more “Shaft” quotes, and closed the encore in rare, funky fashion.

Phish returns to Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall tonight for the final night of their Halloween run.

Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

Phish, November 1, 2013, Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ

Set One: Cavern > Runaway Jim1, Sand, Halfway to the Moon, Halley’s Comet, Tube, When the Circus Comes, Sugar Shack, Jesus Just Left Chicago, David Bowie2

Set Two: Twist3 -> Gotta Jibboo > Makisupa Policeman4 > Light -> Chalk Dust Torture, Meatstick > Boogie On Reggae Woman5 > The Wedge, Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Sneakin’ Sally Through the Alley6

Notes:
[1] with Shaft quotes
[2] Jesus Just Left Chicago quote in intro; Beethoven’s 5th quote in jam
[3] “Get Back” tease and “Under Pressure” jam
[4] keyword: OG Kush
[5] mentions of being beneath the bush with kush
[6] with Shaft quote

Comments

LoriSky November 2, 2013, 08:25:55

Cactus is the nickname of base player Mike ‘soft G’ Gordon, not the drummer guy you tool bags.

GiK November 2, 2013, 08:42:28

“Opening the second set, “Twist” provided the highlight for the night and a highlight of Phish 3.0 (and possibly beyond)” Are you kidding? Pretty standard Twist , if you compare to the golden age of phish. Sorry but phish s over

T November 2, 2013, 09:18:19

Hey LoriSky, bass is spelled bass you tool bag. Good to see some real Phish sets though (with the exception of Light, man that song blows)

LoriSkyJambandsOffline November 2, 2013, 09:21:52

it was sarcasm, you tool bag. I just wanted to dance last night.

On looker November 2, 2013, 09:48:23

The most rotten and low down bickering is always under the phish reviews….. Just sayin :-/

Jesus November 2, 2013, 10:43:29

These reviews are possibly the most contrived things on the internet, and that’s saying something.

Jesus November 2, 2013, 10:43:48

Randy Watson November 2, 2013, 10:47:12

This is so incredibly poorly written. Do you guys have editors? Are your writers paid?

JambandsOffline November 2, 2013, 10:47:12

i am a photojournalist and an editor and when i see somone posting about my favorite band in the world and then they don’t even know what the nicknames of the band is, i get offended, because I am also a severe phan.

James Danson November 2, 2013, 10:50:13

Is this site run by grade schoolers? WTF?!

SBM November 2, 2013, 11:48:21

After reading this review, I understand why true deadheads can’t get into phish.

Cloudy Knight November 2, 2013, 12:00:37

God, Phish sucks.

Z November 2, 2013, 12:06:16

Eh…Here’s a link to a proper review from our buddy ZZYZX: http://www.jambands.com/reviews/shows/2013/11/02/phish-boardwalk-hall-atlantic-city-nj-11-1#.UnUie6a9Kc1

My Kush bush is Under Presssure November 2, 2013, 12:16:25

CACTUS, JOHN CACTUS... They wrote exactly what Trey said and you guys wanna give them shit, maybe trey forgot their nicknames too? NO! They were fucking with everyone, playing jokes, having fuuun!! Lighten up and enjoy the music for what it is, quit bickering about this song or that album and embrace what we have, and realize it’s top notch and they’re pouring their hearts out. Start looking at it as a whole experience and quit picking through the pieces, always looking for something to bitch about – It blows my mind how quick fans are to criticize – perhaps it’d be a better quality fanbase if phish fans were even HALF AS CLOSE to as critical towards their own lives as they are about these fine sets of music on a nightly basis!

LoriSky November 2, 2013, 12:26:59

The theme to Shaft – the dectective movie guy’s name is JOHN SHAFT. The drummer guy is JONFISHMAN. CACTUS is the nickname of MIKE GORDON.
this site sucks so much that I am sorry I even ripped off the name for my website.
I just wanted to dance.

Lamont Sanford November 2, 2013, 12:47:47

Bickering is right. As much as I love the band, they have a whole bunch of fans that are just assholes. In the sew of shows I’ve been to, I always leave stoked to have been there at all. Without fail, on the way out, there is always some douchebag saying ‘they were off tonight—[some city played previously in the run] was way better, man. It’s awful.

msgisgoodforyou November 2, 2013, 13:00:35

Looks like the “John Cactus” line is an actual quote…(see phish.net)...so, why are you bombarding the reviewer for writing an actual quote…? my guess is that people who berate and belittle this band, either aren’t really fans, or they don’t get what the band is about…Imagine if they did a “Big Ball Jam” nowadays! No one would get it! Nice work Boys, keep it up!

timmy November 2, 2013, 13:15:14

Phish after 30 years still blow the lids off 90% of the shit music out there. However, significant amount of “phans” are some of the biggest dicks I’ve ever met. Bunch of over-analyitical pricks. This goes for the jaded vets and the EDM noobs. Fuck all of you. Watch Phish at home in HD, and leave room for the rest of us to dance.

Where's me? November 2, 2013, 13:22:37

Hey, people are criticizing the site! Where are you? Time for you to bash the bashers!

me November 2, 2013, 14:02:00

Again, I’m honored you search the site looking for my posts… I don’t want to crush your hopes, so here I am… I make my comments, pretty much like everyone else here. The bashers are pathetic… but rather than repeat what’s been said, I’ll point you (and the other juveniles) to posts above such as timmy’s, Lamont Sanford’s and My Kush’s as examples of what I agree with. Either you’re a fan or you are not… seems simple but some people who seem to hate what Phish is doing have a problem with letting go. Like a bad relationship that you stay in rather than leaving to find someone else that makes you happy… you know, like how you’ve found me and how my opinions make you happy and feel whole. I’m glad I can do that for a fellow man (I use the term losely… as I’m guessing you haven’t quite finished growing). Seeing as you know roughly where I live, if you are in the area I’d be happy to buy you a cup of coffee and a doughnut some day… I’ll let talk out some of that sadness that has built up in your life… I can’t promise you’ll change, but the advantage of doing so would result in a life where you are happy and get out a little… only having digital friends leaves a void… but you already know that…

Kramer November 2, 2013, 14:10:26

Phish phans are whiny bitches. Each one of them thinks they know more and are a bigger phan than the man standing next to them. Geez the egos on these kids!!! Get a grip!

LoriSky November 2, 2013, 15:00:32

this morning it said Cactus was Fishman, but now it’s been changed to Gordon. I love Phish so much that it is the only thing I allow myself to be intimate with. I am having a really, really, tough tough time right now, and I didn’t really mean to call someone a tool.
I just really wanted to dance.

doodletownpiper November 2, 2013, 16:32:28

I would ask all the naysayers who knock the writing here to provide us with a link to their websites/publications/tv shows, etc. Of all the places in the world wide web to check out, you come here to bitch. Get over yourselves

doodletownpiper = me November 3, 2013, 01:04:17

Just my two cents

Kosmic Rambler November 3, 2013, 02:48:22

Phish writes songs with pre-school lyrics to appease their pre-school fans with pre-school minds.Dead Forever,Forever Dead

Clive Bigsby November 3, 2013, 03:09:04

Hey Kosmic Rambler, why did you even read this article? Obviously you spent enough time to actually write a useless negative comment. We are all in the same community. Let’s hear your songs. Let’s hear your band. Positive comments, or GTFO.

Island tour November 3, 2013, 11:31:41

There is a difference between “inventing” and “rehashing.” Listen to the island tour and remember that not only was it better, but it was NEW.

Noodles November 3, 2013, 17:56:35

The real joke is the jokers just are joking and everyone else is just jerking the jokers who joke the joking jesters of yesteryears a joker who is a joke of a jokester but now owns twenty pin stripe suits and lives a normal life outside joking the jokers who just want a few hours of joy.

Sean November 3, 2013, 21:19:00

I agree 100% with Lamont and Timmy. A huge thank you to The Phish for a great fall run.