Published: 2013/11/06

Phish and Darius Washington Sr. Share the Story Behind "The Line"

Phish debuted new material during their Halloween show at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. That new batch of tunes from their forthcoming release Wingsuit, included “The Line,” a song written about former University of Memphis basketball player Darius Washington Jr., who infamously missed two free throw attempts against Louisville in the 2005 C-USA tournament.

Now, in an interview with The Memphis Flyer, Anastasio commented on the inspiration for the song. “Darius Washington Jr.‘s story was incredibly moving to all of us in Phish,” Anastasio wrote in an email. The song paints a picture of overcoming adversity, as Washington soon had to after missing two free throws in a big tournament game. And much like the Phish frontman had to following his 2006 arrest. “It really spoke to me on a personal level, because I’ve gone through some difficult moments in public, too. You learn a lot about what’s really important in life when something like that happens,” Anastasio said.

Darius Washington Sr. also chimed in about the tribute from Phish, first admitting he wasn’t aware of the Vermont jam kings. “Is he a famous country singer?” Darius Sr. asked. “I don’t know them.” However, Washington did add that he’d love to be a part of a potential upcoming video. “If he decides to do a video, tell him to call us.”

Comments

me November 6, 2013, 21:31:54

Well, technically, I’d have to say Mike is more the country singer since he covers the Johnny Cash material ;^)

You can always count on me November 6, 2013, 22:16:07

for brilliant comments, that is. “Well, technically,” you’re right…and an uber-dweeb.

technically troy November 7, 2013, 01:44:30

It meant so much to them Trey said it was a final four game when it was a conference usa game…..more apologies for the Wingsuit debacle. I have never been so disgusted with Phish since 1993.

Ticranium November 7, 2013, 08:55:12

Phish giving the fans an entire set of new songs was incredible – I listen to the set every day. And now Bob Ezrin will produce it? Incredible! How ‘bout Wingsuit the movie, starring Jon Heder as “Phink”, maybe?

MarZaPhiGar November 7, 2013, 09:26:13

Well, Ticranium, they should certainly cover another “brick” in the wall!

mel torme November 7, 2013, 10:21:14

What happened in 1993 that was so bad?

GRATEFUL JO November 7, 2013, 09:34:38

They shouldn’t cover anything. U people are screwed up. “ OH MY GOD, I WENT TO A PHISH SHOW AND THEY PLAYED ALL PHISH SONGS!! HOW DARE THEM.!” Please don’t come to the shows. More dancing room for me.

Jed Hamrick November 7, 2013, 10:57:38

Can everyone please stop the name calling and bashing. Any artist have new material is a great thing. Now we are sure Phish is moving forward and gonna keep playing for us. Also those new songs will develop over the years. I’m excited

C'mon now November 7, 2013, 11:26:08

Folks can’t you see that people like to get on here and bash Phish just to piss people off. I was truly disappointed w/ the Halloween Show, but I am over it already. I still love Phish, but can still be critical off them as well. Does that mean I shouldn’t be allowed to go to shows anymore. According to some poster nut bags on here, I should be banned for having an opinion. Those are probably the same folks that are just getting on the proverbial PH bus. Been seeing shows since ’92. Don’t take everything to heart. Do you think The band cares what anyone thinks? Probably not. That includes the dweebs that live, eat and breathe PH. Some folks, on both end of this scrap need to get a life. BTW, there are other good bands out there to see.

Kye November 7, 2013, 13:35:03

Ya I agree going to a phish show to hear all phish music that’s crazy. I love the new music. Since 93 really a banner year for phish!!!! I love that music would rather hear new tunes any day than tired old ones that that band doesn’t even play more. It’s mostly newbs upset that wanted Hendrix and got phish boo hoo

Stevie D November 8, 2013, 01:32:52

I am also disappointed, I mean, in 2004.5 it drove me crazy when Fishman sneezed during Undermind, missed his snare and no one even had the decency to say, “Bless you.” Nobody even said, “God bless you” either. Would would have been way better, even than being polite, if somebody would have questioned what the hell he was thinking missing his snare JUST because he sneezed. 1996.75 was by far my favorite year. They were so much more polite then.

to clarify November 7, 2013, 18:48:00

I posted that early, I meant I started seeing the band in 1993, love them and still continue too. Halloween was and is the biggest flop the band has ever tried by far. I am allowed to have an opinion and cannot wait to see Phish again. That doesn’t mean I cannot say this is one of the sloppiest tours since 2004 see Hartford Fluffhead or any Slave composition. It’s fine since they do not play much anymore together and have more Broadway tastes than focusing on new Phish, or scoff the idea of working on an Album, while learning a cover album and alas being on a monetarily successful tour. I really do not want Troy to work very hard given the strong pull Broadway showed for Hands on a Hardbody he has to be getting his door kicked in by producers to come back with tons of cash. Secondly Troy we don’t want on the Ice again but he is playing lazy and being lazy. See 1996 where they finished Billy Breathes (anybody care to say Wombat is better than that? Didnt think so), learned Remain in Light and had a tour with as many shows as they play annually now going on. I know most fans these days had to start with the crap of 03-04 but don’t kid yourself we all would be very happy with a 1999 level Phish right now. They are nowhere close to that. So please don’t soil any year before that by comparing it to 2013. Sorry you missed 1997 it was cool. It just means I’m older than you.

Loubert November 7, 2013, 22:08:07

I agree with ticranium…. I listen to the new songs everyday aswell. Any one who talks shit about hearing there favorate band play new material should clear the sand out of there vaginas…. Phish is on top of there game rite now. The last night of hampton was my favorate show ever up until the second night of Atlantic City. And I know for a fact I am going to say the same thing at one of the MSG shows.

Dave November 10, 2013, 21:37:30

@to clarify: I’ve seen a lot of Phish over the years and I really can’t understand how you could have been disappointed with the shows this fall. They are at the top of their game, with an added layer of maturity. And many of the Wingsuit songs are the best and most diverse songs the band has produced in a long time — for me, those songs get better with every relisten and they will be classics in no time. I had an absolute blast in 1993- 1998, and now again in 2013. But to each his own, I guess..

Otto November 12, 2013, 12:59:11

I am glad I go to Phish shows just to listen to some music one night and have some fun for the 75+ time.
The baggage many of you carry must be a really heavy burden!

kye November 16, 2013, 14:44:58

at all the haters is an hour and forty five minutes from fall 2013
https://soundcloud.com/stream search McGrupp’s Phish Fall 2013 Mix I played this for a buddy and told him it was from a comp from 97. totally dug it til at 1hr 40 mins i said this was fall tour 13 blew his mind. so haters go hate bc if someone that has been to over 200 shows can be fooled and say see kye 97 is waay better then all you haters should listen to whats going on