Published: 2013/11/27

Pearl Jam Play 200 Minute Marathon in Oakland

Photo: Stuart Levine

Clocking in at almost exactly three hours and twenty minutes, Pearl Jam played their longest show of the tour last night at Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA. While this isn’t the band’s longest show (they played a 41-song, three hour and 35 minute show to close down Philadelphia’s Spectrum in 2009), it certainly ranks as one of the longest.

Kicking things off with their usual opener, “Pendulum,” the band moved through popular cuts “Nothingman,” “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town” and “Why Go” to energize the crowd. Newer songs “Lightning Bolt” and “Mind Your Manners” continue to grow in the live setting, with the title track seemingly getting louder each time the band plays it. “Faithfull” was played for a fan who says she was robbed upon traveling to the venue, only for her belongings to be returned thanks to concertgoers who helped her retrieve her lost items.

The main set closed with a trio of rockers—“Down,” “State of Love and Trust” and “Better Man” before the Pearl Jam frontman came out to pay tribute to Lou Reed with Velvet Underground’s “After Hours.” During “Last Kiss,” the group retreated to the back portion of the stage and played to a riser full of kids from The Bridge School, whose benefit concert Vedder along with Pearl Jam have performed at over the years.

The bustout of the evening came in the form of “Thin Air,” the first since 2008. The Binaural track hasn’t been played in bulk in several years, along with most other songs from Pearl Jam’s more experimental album. The popular “Given to Fly” preceded “MFC” and the rare “Big Wave” before the band brought out X guitarist John Doe to sing his own song, “New World,” a debut for the tour.

Bassist Jeff Ament took to electric guitar for the cut “Smile,” before the band closed their monster show with “Black,” “Alive,” “Indifference” along with the Neil Young cover of “Fuckin’ Up.” Pearl Jam’s tour continues Friday night as the band moves closer to home with a show at Portland, OR’s Moda Center before they venture into their home state of Washington with a show at Spokane Arena.

Check out photos from the show last night over on Relix.com.

Here’s a look at the full setlist from last night:

Pearl Jam

Unthought Known
Let the Records Play
Down
State of Love and Trust
Better Man

First Encore:
After Hours (Velvet Underground)
Yellow Moon

Black
Alive
Fuckin’ Up
Indifference

Comments

Karina November 27, 2013, 22:43:08

Truly a great show. Everyone talks about Ed when they talk about PJ but Ament, Gossard, McCready and Cameron were amazing, not to mention the guy on keyboards. It was a wild, raucous event. Only complaint? Eddie and his political rants. He’s still living in the past and can’t get his facts straight on current events. I paid good money for my tickets. Shut up and play

Geez November 28, 2013, 05:42:17

Cool Karina, well I am spending some precious time in my life right now that I will never get back, which is way more important than the few bucks you spent on the show. Considering that, I would appreciate it if you kept your negative comments to yourself and relaxed.

Clive Bigsby November 28, 2013, 10:52:07

Karina must not know the ways of PJ.

Sammy November 28, 2013, 12:10:20

Really Karina? They played one of their longest shows ever and Ed made one mention of negative comments the ex VP made about same sex marriage (an important current topic both in the Bay Area and the US) and that’s your take away? Too bad. I thought it was an amazing night of music that I will remember for a long time.

Karina November 28, 2013, 13:22:41

@Sammy I did take away more than that if you read my post. You are correct that same sex marriage is an important topic and for that reason it is important to me that correct facts are stated. When false statements are made it undermines the fight for equality. Ed was wrong about Dick Cheney. Cheney has supported same sex marriage since 2009. Liz Cheney, who is running for a senate seat, spoke against same sex marriage which upset her married lesbian sister, causing a rift in the family. While Ed made a funny joke he was incorrect about D Cheney’s position. Happy Thanksgiving.

John November 28, 2013, 13:47:05

i do not believe the young lady who was robbed at the venue got her things back. she lost everything she had, including her passport (she is from brazil). some of the fans in line took up a collection to help her replace what she could.

Nah November 28, 2013, 18:51:55

Eddie’s political rants are great. I wish more musicians were socially conscious. Maybe the younger generation wouldn’t be so damn apathetic.

eastsidestu November 28, 2013, 19:29:19

The show was incredible. What is also incredible is Ed’s caring for his fellow man—-a concept chickenhawks like Cheney could never understand.

nah November 28, 2013, 22:45:04

Nah, I’m a school teacher and deal with the youths of today on an everyday basis. It’s going to take a heck of a lot more than an Eddie Vedder rant to get them to shake their apathy. I’m kind of with Karina on this one. I support your music, not your talking. If you want to speak to me and challenge my views, do it with your music.

eastsidestu November 29, 2013, 04:00:48

Nah, maybe you don’t understand the lyrics? Maybe you aren’t even a fan? Maybe you just wanted to throw in your 2 cents? I don’t know. But you sure don’t have a clue about his band, the message they give, and the good that they do in society. Then again, you probably think those three kids in Arkansas should still be in prison, one of which was on death row. Maybe schoolteachers should teach their students how to become involved in the community—rather than whine about how apathetic they are.

Greg C November 29, 2013, 16:25:01

It would be nice if Eddie kept it political rather than bashing Sacramento in OKC for keeping the Kings rather than selling to his billionaire friends in Seattle. This being right after he bashed OKC at another concert for buying team his city would not support. My Pearl Jam cd’s went in the trash today. What a moron calling an entire city F**ers when many were fans of his.

nah November 29, 2013, 21:03:00

Stu, you don’t know me. You don’t know what I teach or what I don’t teach. You keep sitting on the sidelines and throwing stones. Education needs more armchair quarter backs. Let’s write up a whole list of all the good musicians do and then we can read those at the shows instead of playing music. That would be pretty cool, huh? I do like Pearl Jam and I buy their CDs so I can listen to their music, but I don’t go to their shows so I don’t have to listen to Eddie’s rants, political or otherwise.

Angela Pearl November 29, 2013, 22:48:08

My son’s birthday present from me was this concert.
Hes 27 and we had a unimaginable time. We loved it so much that we are saving our ducats for a hopefu Pearl Jam return to California.
For many years my ex husband had made my son and I believe that they had broken up n that Eddie had past. I cried so hard. And being in my addiction, yes I believed it. So getting sober and getting him out of if my life was the best thing ever. But I got into church and I stopped listening to radio all together. Since that all ended and miving to the bay I reconnected with radio n instantly I heard ! With help if Internet, that in fact they were not at all broken up and Eddie was never gone. All this time 10+ years had got me catching up and my son and I have reconnected. So with all tgat Thanjs Pearl Jam, my soul is complete niw being able to diwnload n lusten to everything ive missed.
Oh and I called my ex since and told him hes an asshole. Live yiu guys hope to see you again real soon. Myah n tight ass bear hugs. Stay safe.