Published: 2013/11/29

Phil Collins Considers Genesis Reunion

According to the Guardian, drummer Phil Collins expressed interest in a comeback to music and a reunion with Genesis. Collins told a German newspaper that he’s “thinking about” a return to music. “I have started thinking about doing new stuff. [Maybe playing] some shows again, even with Genesis. Everything is possible. We could tour in Australia and South America. We haven’t been there yet,” Collins said.

After severely injuring his spine nearly four years ago, Collins announced his retirement from music. Collins last performed with Genesis in 2007 during a reunion tour that spanned Europe and North America. The group, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Collins, performed without singer Peter Gabriel.

Comments

Show Me The... November 29, 2013, 11:28:48

What’s the matter Phil? Looks like those cartoon movie soundtracks are beginning to dry up. Last good Genesis tour was 1986 for goodness sakes.

Augustus Westus November 29, 2013, 11:45:04

Mailbox money defeinitely drying up for Sussudio. No question. That said, getting these guys in a studio (not for a tour) would be interesting. I would love to hear some new tunes. Moneygrab tour: not so much.

jamesdinct November 29, 2013, 13:16:22

Why does it have to me a money grab tour? First off I am positive that Phil is set for many lifetimes financially. Secondly he got hurt and could not play anymore, if he is feeling up to it now that is great news. The guy has made a lot of music, much of it good, why hate?

panicjamz63 November 29, 2013, 13:28:37

WOOOOOW! this is a dream reunion. from injred and angrey to stadium sell outs. What a saga. Now if only they could grab Peter and Steve and do some Lamb…. a child can dream

Joe mango November 29, 2013, 13:39:09

I’m a long time (30 years) genesis fan and saw the Hartford 07 show. It was worth twice the ticket price. If you want to see them play suppers ready then go see The Musical Box. (No, really make sure you check that out. It’s really good) I say play on Phil!

godzillajoe November 29, 2013, 14:17:10

Wow, why would you piss on a genesis reunion? Even if it’s just the 3. I would rather have some new music though. instead of the firth of fifth solo, i know what I like and in the cage / afterglow medley mixed with the 80’s and 90’s hits. though i would be first in line for that as well.

bryontreece November 29, 2013, 15:22:34

I will never forgive them for “I Can’t Dance”. Possibly THE Worst song EVER!! Henley’s “Dirty Laundry” could give it a run for its money.

MarZaPhiGar November 29, 2013, 15:53:30

I had the misfortune of hearing Sussudio while shopping recently, and was stunned at what a Prince rip-off the intro was. Christ, he should be gettin royalties.

Genisleep November 29, 2013, 16:37:44

I tried to listen to this band’s earlier work but passed out every single time. Phil’s pop stuff can not be denied though. Land of confusion!!! And that Mike Tyson song!!! I’m so glad Phish did Wingsuit and not Genisleep for Halloween. Sorry fans of Genisleep much respect I am sure that rock if that’s what your into.

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!! November 29, 2013, 18:17:22

I understand why they don’t use peter gabriel anymore…. saw him last year in san jose…. tied for worst live performance I’ve been to with REM at Austin City Limits about 10 years ago…. Peter gabriel was fat, bald and washed up as hell…. he used a picture of himself from his 20’s on all his merchandise too… totally get why. The show was so lame…. his production consisted of white strobe lights only and the music sucked…. Id be stoked to see a genesis reunion w/out him…. the Full show Friday on jambase.com today looks alright!!!!

jamesdinct November 29, 2013, 18:28:02

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!! You said the same thing on another post about Peter jeesh you really didn’t like him lol. I actually got introduced to Genesis 20 years ago when I was a kid through the Phil Collins era stuff. So I actually have a soft spot in my heart for Phil and actually prefer his lead role stuff over Peter’s even though I know thats sacrilegious in the world of Genesis. I do like the Gabriel era too though obviously.

Steve November 29, 2013, 18:41:48

Bottom Line…. Peter Gabreil IS, WAS, and will ALWAYS be Genesis. Without him they are a pop band.

KB November 29, 2013, 20:56:56

What a way to not commit to anything, Phil. I’ll be sure to not sit on the edge of my seat.

Fill November 30, 2013, 10:05:04

I think Phil’s depression is real and to say he doesn’t miss drumming is either a lie to the world or himself (or both). Though CT can cover ground his drum playing has always been a big part of a show. The motown project he did was pretty good…To Genisleep: I can understand since it took me a while to be in headspace where I could listen to early Genesis and it tried my patience. Now I love it! Reminds me when I heard Coltrane as kid and had only a passing interest (only to be hit on head one day of an orgasmic improv masterpiece).

HARRY O'TOOLE November 30, 2013, 11:07:53

Do the music world a favor Phil, stay retired!

brotherbill November 30, 2013, 13:57:27

they could play GUYUTE in their set and Phish can trade up with a Watcher of the Skies in theirs- a head ripping Sqounk by either band would work as well

Glpgeo rage November 30, 2013, 15:49:01

Omg, a Phish SQUONK would make me pass out and have a seizure after hearing their Watcher…....reunite GENESIS in or out of the studio…as long as Tony and Michael are together…the Genesis sound will be there. Bring it on!!!!!

Canucklehead December 2, 2013, 01:11:50

That “When in Rome” concert video was a truly great send off. Sucks big that I missed the live show. I would love to hear some new music from the boys and know that they’ve still got some creative stuff in the tank. I’m all for it. The boys may be older but I’ll bet they still have a thing or two to show the newbie manufactured “artists”. C’mon boys. One more time!

Brian O'Connell December 2, 2013, 10:27:12

Real Genesis fans know that the Rael Deal can be found with the Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited tour! That’s where it’s at.

greg December 2, 2013, 14:17:43

Yeah genesis with Phil might be a pop band but peter hasn’t exactly been out there doing prog music in his solo career SO was a pop album and a lot of his solo work has that aspect to it and that includes Steve also so quit using that tired excuse

Banyon December 2, 2013, 18:51:24

I just don’t get the hate toward the band, whether it be “Gabriel sucked in his recent tour” or “Phil turned the band into a pop machine.” Who the hell cares? Music is music and there’s a style for EVERYONE. Just as many love the “newer” Genesis material as those who love the older Gabriel era stuff. They’re both great for different tastes. I like to enjoy nearly all of it. Some songs I can do without but you cannot deny the talent, the musicianship from those involved in the band. You really learn to appreciate what they’ve done when you actually try to play some of their stuff, as I have (on keyboard) and as far as drumming, Collins was one of the best rock has known, which is why so many artists, including Led Zepplin had him drum with them. A well respected muscian, plain and simple, whether you like him or not. Same can be said for Banks and Rutherford who contributed to many artists as well. And Gabriel is one of the most creative artists of our time, that cannot be denied.

Tim December 2, 2013, 20:46:43

SUSSUDIO IS NOT A GENESIS SONG! So sick of people getting this shit wrong

Pugs Rule December 2, 2013, 20:59:03

Love Phil and Genesis. Bring on a tour -would love to see them.

Jasper December 2, 2013, 22:21:38

For whatever it worth I caught Genesis in 73??? And they blew my socks off, never dialed into Phil’s tunes but thought some were..catchy.? Saw Peter solo 5-8 years ago and thought it was a superpower show, am slightly disheartened to read the poster earlier that he looked bad, maybe off that one night? -
Mixed feelings about comeback groups, can’ t go back in time… Bob and Phil with Furthur i think though is a good example of bringing music forward with some power ofvthe past…... all the bet to Phil C. if his health is well and can pull it off!!!

Otto December 3, 2013, 17:17:36

This summer on my drive up to Saratoga I gave the genesis live album “Seconds Out” a really good listening again after having dismissed it years ago. I can’t believe I have had the vinyl sititng on my shelf and hadnt listened to it in a very very long time. What a really good album.

Otto December 3, 2013, 17:19:15

Yes to Phish playing Squonk, please!

Eddy December 3, 2013, 19:58:57

WAUW! And when they do again, I hope it’s with Chester Thompson on the drums, and Daryl Stuermer on guitar & bass. (Oh, and please Phil, don’t forget to set up your electronic drumkit behind your accoustic kit this time…)
That looked Fantastic!

Eddy December 3, 2013, 19:58:57

That looked Fantastic!

harmonicadoug December 4, 2013, 08:16:20

Phil is the voice of Genesis Peter is a clown.

Shred December 4, 2013, 08:55:18

I like when the comments are more important than the story!

Jenn December 4, 2013, 14:16:13

I am a super fan! I love the early Genesis and I would follow them anywhere! Rock on.

Matt December 5, 2013, 22:00:37

I’m only 20 years old so I haven’t got to experience the greatness that is Genesis except in albums. So if Phil is up to the task, I’d love nothing more than to see these guys play. Absolute favorite band. You go Phil! Rock on!

rageboy December 9, 2013, 11:54:19

seen phil like 10 times best drummer ive ever seem live got live boots of moon with who he might be better never saw live so i cant tell ya solo sap aside phils a bad dude ck out duke

dstraile December 9, 2013, 13:26:55

Gabriel sucked on his last tour? Not. You got to be kidding me.

DSDuff December 10, 2013, 11:43:43

Saw Phil drumming with Brand X in 1978 at the Old Waldorf in SF. Hair down to his ass, long beard, extremely complex and challenging music. When I heard he had a studio album coming out I thought “YEAH!” Then I heard it. Ugh. What FM Crap. What a waste of talent.

Luke Jarvis December 11, 2013, 12:31:53

Saw them several times. The first in ’81 on the Abacab tour..they did Supper’s Ready in full…amazing! A reunion would be great..I can never get enough!!

Holly December 12, 2013, 07:33:17

I’m 19 and so I never got to see Genesis live first time around. It would be amazing to see them live. Give them a chance!

Brian December 21, 2013, 13:13:11

Genesis and Phil Collins is what got me into music. Most of what they played is pop music, It was great pop music and as a collective the members of Genesis had a massive amount of #1 hits that most others could not even touch.
The general rule of differentiating Phil Collins and Genesis is Phil Collins uses a lot of brass instruments in his music,not so much in Genesis.

Dan Gaffin December 21, 2013, 18:24:29

No matter his age, reason or anything else. If a real Phil Collins or Genesis fan has to dump dirt on him they are not a real fan, I am a life long fan who will alway support him no matter when and where. So Phil if you decide to go on tour remember your fans of Philadelphia.

Diane December 22, 2013, 11:57:28

I saw Peter last year in Vegas. He did not disappoint.

Aquaman December 29, 2013, 09:17:23

Phil is one of the best drummers ever. His drumming on early Genesis is outstanding. His singing is brill too on later albums. Now regarding Genesis reunions….of course its what every fan wants to see. But me personally I want to see the real Genesis….Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett….why not do a tour with them which also allows Phil to sing too…..Genesis are still worlds no 1 band….come on guy lets hear the real Genesis…..

josomo December 31, 2013, 10:39:25

I agree – real genesis reunion requires Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel. the musical box is very close….

sanhari January 3, 2014, 04:27:17

I am a real fan Genesis from Indonesia. Hope all members can be reunited again, and doing the magic of the lamb lies down on broadway tour. Must be the greatest concert of all time.

Rick January 3, 2014, 12:51:38

My question is this: If you like the music and it makes you tap your feet, play air drums and sing out loud, then do it. Why hate on whether it is pop or prog. How many bands have changed direction. I have rarely heard a Peter Gabriel Genesis song on the radio. Would we even know who Genesis is without the newer version? What about Queen, Boston, Doobie Brothers, 3 Dog Night and Chicago? Times change. I love Styx and know they are different now. If you enjoy, then roll with it.

Jim Meagher January 10, 2014, 10:36:53

I am longtime Genesis fan, over 30+ years. I last saw them at “United Center”, in Chicago, Ill. in 2007. I also, want to hear some new “Genesis” rock music with drum solos, from Chester T., or Phil C., guitar from Mike R. ,and keyboard solo pieces from the great Tony Banks !. Genesis, you rock !. Please, come back with new studio hits; and show these Generation X kids, how to play great music !.

Jaime January 10, 2014, 12:44:41

I have been in love with Genesis ever since I had the brains to recognize their genius… Sadly, that was after 07. I am only 17. They are my favorite band. This tour needs to happen!

Donna January 12, 2014, 20:35:25

I remember the first time I saw and heard Phil Collins; it was on MTV in the ’80’s. His music video, “In the Air Tonight” was in black and white. I fell in love with him the moment I saw and heard him sing Helooked so much like my boyfriend at the time, in every aspect, who was a sound mixer and also played the trumpet. It was then that I bought everything before and since, from Phil Genesis. I’ve gone to every concert since then in the Chicago area. My relationship with the sound mixer didn’t make it but my love for Phil will last forever. Every time I hear one of Phil’s ballads, it reminds me of my music man. I’m 64 and still in love with Phil, his music, and Genesis (after Gabriel). One of my favorites songs is “Ripples”; it makes my cry. I don’t know why but I love how his voice and words makes me feel. Please go on tour “One More Time”!

douglas January 13, 2014, 23:08:34

THE BAND NEEDS TO TAKE IT UP A NOTCH IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.SINCE CD SALES ARE DOWN THET WILL MAKE A DARK ALBUM THAT WILL AMAZE ALL OF THEIR FANS INCLUDING MYSELF

douglas January 15, 2014, 13:35:34

WHAT THESE ASSHOLES ON THESE COMMENTS PAGES FAIL TO RECOGNIZE IS THAT THE CURRENT 3 MEMBERS NEED NO HELP FROM THE FORMER MEMBERS AND THEY CAN CREATE MUSIC AS COOL AS TRIBAL TECH BRUFORD HOLDSWORTH IF THEY WANT TO.THERE IS NO MARKET FOR THAT.THEY COULD DO AN ALL INSTRUMENTALS ALBUM AND BLOW YOU AWAY.BY THE WAY WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COOL BASS PEDALS AND THE ANGRY KEYBOARD SOUND?

douglas January 15, 2014, 14:26:10

GENESIS BLEW KING CRIMSOM AWAY ON THEIR 73 RAINBOW TOUR.THEY CAN DO ANYTHING THEY WANT IN ROCK MUSIC

douglas January 15, 2014, 14:26:11

douglas January 15, 2014, 14:35:26

1 comment made was the last good tour was in 86.WHAT ABOUT THE PRESENTATION MADE IN THE 07 TOUR YOUR ASSHOLE.IT WAS THE BEST!

douglas January 15, 2014, 14:35:26

Missy Star Gale January 18, 2014, 01:35:32

I am 35 years old
I have said This to just about every single person who knows me….. “ If I leave this Earth without witnessing Phil Collins (genesis) live…. I WILL not die happy”
He is my savior on this planet with his words of wisdom;)
If anyone on here hates on him…. They have only heard a son for two by him. There is at least ONE song by him that Hits home to every living person with a heartbeat.

thomas clarke January 24, 2014, 09:55:14

I am 46 years old. Phil Collins & Genesis has saved me in many years with their music career & history. Last time I saw Genesis show was 1992. Didn’t see them on last tour 2007. Now it 2014. Possible Genesis tour this year. I wants to see them again one more time. No matter how much it cost to me. Genesis is truly my life saver & always will be my heart & soul forever until the days I goes to heaven. Yes brings them back again for me. Phil always will be truly Genesis front man. I hope & pray that Genesis make big comeback for 2014.

oscar venegas February 4, 2014, 21:31:58

Seria fabuloso y grandioso que la mejor banda re rock progresivo se volviera a reunir para salir en tour y que vinieran a mexico,yo los vii en concierto en 1991

Cinema Show February 13, 2014, 22:51:58

I think get them all in the studio maybe rerecord a song or two, do something fresh and trippy and a few gigs around the globe. everyone’s happy the man then

Debbie Hammer March 3, 2014, 22:52:54

Oh, PLEASE, PLEASE think about doing another tour!! I dated a guy a few years ago, and we always said Ripples was “our song!” We called each other our concert buddy, and said we would go ANYWHERE to hear this song one more time! Even though we are not together now, if a concert were to come true, I Absolutely know we would be the first in line for tickets! Who knows, you make a “reunion tour” and the two of us could have a reunion too!!!!! lol