Published: 2013/12/09

Macaulay Culkin Forms a Pizza-Themed Velvet Underground Cover Band

Actor Macaulay Culkin, known for his Home Alone character Kevin McCalister, is now in a pizza-themed Velvet Underground cover band called The Pizza Underground. Joined by East Village musicians and friends Matt Colbourn, Phoebe Kreutz, Deenah Vollmer and Austin Kilham, the lineup includes one member on guitar while the others add vocals and percussion by way of a pizza box.

The group recently recorded a demo at Culkin’s NYC apartment, with nine songs spawning from the sessions. The result was songs such as “I’m Waiting for the Delivery Man,” “Cheese Days” and “All the Pizza Parties.” The lyrics are reimagined to be a pizza theme, referencing anchovies and Papa Johns. The Al Yankovic-type parody is available to stream below. There is no word of a Pizza Underground tour—yet.

Comments

tellsemlikeismellsem!!!!!! December 9, 2013, 17:21:51

Better gig than running away from michael jackson during and at the end of every level in the sega genesis’s moonwalker video game…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLqiNduD3Sk

That was the H talking December 9, 2013, 21:00:25

While admirable to find McCauley has a fine taste in music, this sounds like an idea came up with on the 7th day of an ice bender. I bet he plays a mean version of Heroin.

JesusJuiceJamz December 9, 2013, 21:02:15

Oh sweet nuthin, this sounds like a bad idea. Cool it Down buddy this is only going to lead you to a bad place!

Kb December 9, 2013, 21:40:59

Normally I’m not critical of what jambands puts up…but really, why is this here?

Cruc1al December 10, 2013, 01:55:47

I actually like that jambands.com posts on everything short of Trey sneezing. It’s just there. I don’t have to read it. But, if I’m poopin’ at work and check the news feed, it’s nice to have it there. That said, this band is F***ing stupid.

kb December 10, 2013, 06:58:09

I’m with ya…I know what you are saying and I agree…I thought this was one of the April Fool’s Stories they normal run…which are great. But this? Wow….

Mr Random December 10, 2013, 10:27:16

This is beyond absurd. ‘Keep the change you filthy animal”.

hate December 10, 2013, 13:09:00

Yall are just jealous your not famous. Go back to work

Willie Shotwell December 11, 2013, 12:25:11

Though at first blush this appears to be an insouciant amuse-bouche of spoiled hipster self-congratulatory irony, there is more to it…and less. Despite Culkin’s feigned nod and wink, one can glimpse below the surface and hear the pain of an artist who tasted fame so overwhelming and unbearable that he has spent the rest of his life trying to escape a solipsistic and redundant narcissism that those of us who aren’t former child stars cannot begin to comprehend. In truth, I barely read it, and did not listen to it. How you like THAT for staged self-aware irony, Mr. Culkin?!?

wtf December 12, 2013, 08:25:45

yall need to lighten up. it’s a joke band and it’s pretty funny

dk70 December 14, 2013, 09:40:52

Willie: your thesaurus is showing.

joe December 20, 2013, 16:47:41

this is silly as hell but it is
AWSOME!
i love lou reed, i love home alone, i love pizza, i really dont see why this isnt goin to be headlining bonnaroo next summer!
for seriousness, i would totally go see them live, and i would do so even if it were a band without a celebrity in it, i live lou reed, and this sounds like an awsome yet cheesy idea.
makes me wish i thought of it. what if i do the same thing to the MC5 but use KFC buckets(cause im from KY, not cause of buckethead though if he wants to camio thats kewl)