Published: 2013/12/14

Christmas Jam Night One: Widespread Panic, Phil Lesh Quintet, Gov’t Mule, Gregg Allman and More

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Widespread Panic, Phil Lesh Quintet, Gregg Allman & Warren Haynes, John Scofield & The Uberjam Band, Keb’ Mo’ and Gov’t Mule tore it up during the first night of the 25th annual Warren Haynes Christmas Jam at the US Cellular Center in Asheville, NC. Much like past Christmas Jams, the show featured plenty of sit ins and the music kept going until the wee hours of the night.

The festivities began when Haynes took the stage with singer-songwriter Ray Sisk for a take on Sisk’s “Glory Road.” The opening tune was followed by a set from Gov’t Mule, a band that has closed out many past Christmas Jams. Mule’s set saw keyboardist Ike Stubbliefield and saxophonist Blll Evans join the band for “Opium,” a moe. song that the band has covered in the past. Mule also fit some “Message in a Bottle” lyrics into “Funny Little Tragedy” toward the end of the set.

Keb’ Mo’ came out next for a six-song performance that featured a guest appearance by John Scofield for “Every Morning” and “Perpetual Blues Machine.” Scofield and his Uberjam Band were next up with a five-song set.

Gregg Allman and Warren Haynes took the stage for seven songs, most of which—“These Days,” “Midnight Rider,” “Long Black Veil”, “All My Friends” and “Melissa”—were performed by the duo at the previous nights Pre-Jam party. In addition to those tunes, the set also featured a take on Neil Young’s “The Needle & The Damage Done” and a Keb’ Mo’ sit in for “I Can’t Be Satisfied.”

Allman and Haynes were followed by the reunited Phil Lesh Quintet—Lesh, Haynes, Jimmy Herring, John Molo and Rob Barraco—for a full set that included a number of Grateful Dead staples such as “China Cat Sunflower” > “I Know Your Rider,” “St. Stephen,” “The Other One,” “Lady with a Fan” and “Terrapin “Station,” as well as a couple of tunes—“Celebration” and “Night of a Thousand Stars”—from Lesh’s 2002 release There and Back Again, which he recorded with the Quintet.

Widespread Panic closed out the night with an extended set that featured a number of Panic standards, as well as guest appearances by Haynes and Randall Bramblett. Bramblett joined the group in the middle of the set for a rendition of JJ Cale’s “Ride Me High,” and he and Haynes took the stage toward the end for “Angels on High.” Haynes then stuck around to help Panic with a cover of ZZ Top’s “Jesus Just Left Chicago” before the band wrapped up their set with “Ain’t Life Grand” at close to 4 in the morning.

Christmas Jam will continue tonight with performances by a reunited Aquarium Rescue Unit, Gov’t Mule, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Gregg Allman, Michael Franti, OAR and John Scofield with Gov’t Mule (Sco-Mule). You can check some of Dino Perrucci’s photos from last night below, and a full gallery of photos here.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlists

Friday, December 13, 2013, Warren Haynes Christmas Jam, US Cellular Center, Asheville, NC

Warren Haynes & Ray Sisk

Jungle Fiction
Dub Dub
Endless Summer

Gregg Allman & Warren Haynes

These Days
Midnight Rider
I Can’t Be Satisfied with Keb’ Mo’
Long Black Veil

Angels On High with Randall Bramblett & Warren Haynes
Jesus Just Left Chicago with Warren Haynes
Ain’t Life Grand

Photos by Dino Perrucci

Comments

Doug R. December 14, 2013, 15:32:26

Gets BETTER every year.THIS night will be REALLY hard to beat.

PM December 14, 2013, 18:31:59

Phil Lesh & Friends at 2am, was a snooze fest, imagine if your were there when the real music started at 7pm. how about something a little more upbeat for that hour in the morning for christ sakes.and lets be real, it’s crap SORRY Warren. Phil Lesh is really the worst singer . Somewhere Jerrys looking down and shaking his head going WTF

joe December 14, 2013, 19:13:44

i have always thought the Q was a snooze fest.
aimless noodling, seems to be what some folks like when they see GD music played. i dont.
i saw this lineup years ago, and fell asleep on the lawn. while they played a set so boring people where goin out to the lot just to be first outa the lot. some say they got better. and maybe they did. but i havent spent any more of my money finding out.

makersandh2o December 14, 2013, 19:23:08

yep. they got better.

Luke December 14, 2013, 19:34:10

The Quintet is one of the very best live bands I’ve personally ever seen. Literally bursting with pushing the envelope, creativity, unbounding energy and balls. One of the very few bands I’ve ever seen where I left being absolutely astonished at the quality.

Doug December 14, 2013, 19:57:15

Why do bands think “Jesus Just Left Chicago” is a good song to cover? Countless blues songs are better. I thought the Quintet was cool when I saw them 13 (!) years ago, but do agree that Lesh is a terrible, terrible singer( as were the Grateful Dead, with exceptions for Jerry and Pigpen) on occasion) and I think it can really ruin some stellar jamming. Why they wouldn’t write and record some instrumentals is beyond me.

Flipdiggler December 15, 2013, 03:18:25

Anders Osbourne put on one hell of a show at the Brooklyn bowl also.1 peace 2 47 3five bullets 4 ya ya 5 jetstream 6 pleasin you 7 I’m ready 8 sende a friend 9 stuck on my baby 10 highway 11 road to Charlie PArkers e: rambling man , rockin inthe free world, Louisiana gold. Show was amazing.

Tim December 15, 2013, 12:04:22

Honestly, no one cares to read about other peoples feelings about music they did not experience or even like to begin with. In fact, from the tone of these negative nancies, they sound like a bunch of Phish fans.

rohbear December 15, 2013, 18:46:15

For complete video of both nights (except Panic) visit YouTube user/rohbear1 My 6th year of filming this awesome jam. Enjoy!

rohbear December 15, 2013, 19:03:27

john December 15, 2013, 20:53:26

Obviously those idiots who posted crap about Phil Lesh don’t know a thing about improvisational music or the Grateful Dead’s music or legacy. Phil isn’t trying to recreate a Dead concert from 35 years ago, which by the way is when I steated seeing them. The Quintet are all incredible musicians ib their own right, and they tore it up the other night. I was right up front, and the “I Know You Rider” as well as “St.. Stephen “ in particular rivaled any of the versions I have ever heard in physical and instrumental intensity. And Jerry would have loved it.These guys played their asses off, and if you don’t like it, you don’t have to go see them. Happy holidays to all.

Peachhead December 16, 2013, 16:19:35

Love Jesus left Chicago. Great zz top song and one of my highlights of the weekend. I thought phil was great too

carolinaphil December 17, 2013, 14:13:36

SOME Panic fans have panties in a wad because the Q got a extra 30min. Maybe SOME Panic fans even had Temper- Tantrum, but we all got a stellar weekend in Asheville for Warrens 25th X-mas Jam benefit ! When SOME Panic fans mature they will understand that it’s not all about them.
P.S. Warren Haynes is in the Q by the way.
Loved the entire weekend,
carolinaphil

Stagger Lee December 20, 2013, 10:19:48

There is no doubt that Phil is a terrible singer but I can’t get enough of him. I hope I can see him again before he croaks. You are right that much of my enjoyment is nostalgic but if you didn’t like the Q on Friday, I question your competence at all levels and in all matters. While I couldn’t believe Phil (or me for that matter) was even up that late, the Q was epic. It’s not for everybody. Some people, most people, just don’t get it.

david December 20, 2013, 10:51:36

I must say that whatever style of music one appreciates really does not reflect on the outstanding experience of the Jam. I heard music that I have lived with for decades and heard new music that will live with me (hopefully) for decades to come. The spirit that was in that building was a beautiful thing to be a part of and I can only hope that everyone took something positive and lasting from being there. Thanks to Warren and all the souls that had any part of giving us this wonderful time. See you next year!

michele December 20, 2013, 12:37:19

I sure wish I had been blessed to see this show. I would be grateful for every note. Some of my favorite show memories are when the human side of the band shows. As jerry said, these shows are booked months in advance and none of us know how will feel that day. If you are lucky enough to see an icon you should appreciate it.

joe December 20, 2013, 16:35:06

i was not at the show, but i have seen some PLQ shows, and its the song selection that left me cold.
i could die happy never hearing phil sing anouther jerry song, AND WHEN WARREN IS ON STAGE?
like i said, i last saw this band YEARS ago, but my biggest complaint then was phils vocals, and headband sounding TOO much like jerry on vocals. i think warren rules, as does molo, as does phil.

Stagger Lee December 21, 2013, 11:13:20

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Friday night was one of the best nights of music I have ever heard in my life. When Gov’t Mule is the worst of the night, you know it was incredible. Keb Mo was great, John Scofield was absolutely sick. The bluegrass band was really fun. Warren and Greg? That was like picking shimmering gold and silver fruit balls from a brightly lit treasure tree. PLQ ripped through Playin, ChinaRider, St. Stephen, Lady w/fan and Terrapin? Please. Panic was fabulous but I could barley stand by then. When Jesus left Chicago, so did I. Sat was just fine and I ‘m in love with Grace Potter but I could have missed Sat and still had one of the greatest weekends of my life. Thanks Warren. Furthur next year?

neal kerouacidy January 6, 2014, 13:49:27

in response to PM and joe you both are sorry losers who need to pull your head out of your butt wipe the crap out of your eyes and ears and THEN flush yourself down the toilet ya little smart ass turds. I look forward to punchin you right in the teeth in honor of ramrod and mountain girl Two die hard music lovers who would not have a damn thing to do with your childish little gimp asses