Published: 2014/01/08

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks Announce Departure from Allman Brothers Band at Year’s End

Photo by Dean Budnick

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks have announced that they will leave the Allman Brothers Band at the end of 2014. This year marks the 45th anniversary of the group and the pair will stick with the band through the Beacon Theatre run and whatever might follow (with Wanee expected and then one imagines some shows this summer). Interestingly, the news comes only a few days after rumors circulated that bassist Oteil Burbridge would leave the band this year. A note on the bassist’s Facebook page discrediting the rumor reads, “We’re here to assure you that that is not true and he will be playing with the Allman Brothers throughout 2014. “

Haynes joined The Allman Brothers in 1989 and remained with the band until 1997. After the ABB parted ways with founding member Dickey Betts, Haynes rejoined the group in 2001. Derek Trucks officially joined the Allmans in 1999. The current incarnation of The Allman Brothers Band is the group’s longest-standing lineup since its formation. Both musicians have released official statements regarding their departure.

Warren Haynes:

I joined the Allman Brothers Band in 1989, at age 28, for a reunion tour with no promise or expectations of it going any further. Based on the success of the tour and the uncanny chemistry between the original members and the new members, we decided to continue and see where it all led. Now, here we are, 25 years later, and it has been an amazing experience. I’ve always said that if I were to join a band that I grew up listening to the ABB would be at the top of that list. The original version of the band was a huge influence on me and I’m sure that the countless hours I spent listening to and studying that music helped shape me as a musician. As proud as I am of being a member of such a legendary band, I’m even more proud of the music that we’ve made together and of being a part of carrying their original vision into the future.

As someone who’s been fortunate enough to juggle a lot of musical projects and opportunities I look forward to maintaining a vigorous schedule which will include many more years of touring and recording with Gov’t Mule in addition to my solo projects and to enjoying more family time as well. Being part of the ABB has opened a lot of doors for me and that’s something I don’t take for granted nor do I take for granted the friendship and musical relationships I have with each of the members. The 45th Anniversary of the ABB is a milestone amidst too many highlights to count and I’m looking forward to an amazing year creating music that only the Allman Brothers Band can create:

Derek Trucks:

I got the call to join the Allman Brothers while on tour with my own band at the age of 19. It was out of the blue and felt surreal. I leapt at the chance. This was the music that I had cut my teeth on and it was the distinctive sound of Duane’s guitar that inspired me to pick up the instrument in the first place.

When I started with ABB I didn’t know how long it would last, only that I would let the music lead me and teach me. Amazingly that led me past the band’s 40th anniversary, to the band’s 45th, and now my 15th year as a member of this incredible band. Five years ago the 45th seemed like a lofty goal but I thought if we could make it to that milestone it would be a logical time to move on.

While I’ve shared many magical moments on stage with the Allman Brothers Band in the last decade plus, I feel that my solo project and the Tedeschi Trucks Band is where my future and creative energy lies. The Tedeschi Trucks Band tour schedule keeps growing, and I feel the time has finally come to focus on a single project, which will allow me to spend that rare time off the road with my family and children. It’s a difficult decision to make, and I don’t make it lightly.

I’m proud to have made a small contribution to the masterful music they have created over the past forty years, and will continue to create. Now seems like a good time to go out on a high note with a great 45th anniversary in 2014, and the mutual respect and friendship of the other 6 members of ABB.

Comments

BC January 8, 2014, 21:21:22

Thank you both for the wonderful memories

where's my mule? January 8, 2014, 21:22:17

wow didn’t see that coming

monumental January 8, 2014, 21:27:08

Is this actually true?

Luke January 8, 2014, 21:34:47

holy shit…that’s it for the allmans
Cannot see them attempting to replace them. And did not see this coming. Always imagined them riding it out with them till the very end – till Gregg, Butch and Jaimoe literally could not do it anymore physically. Derek and Warren are not just the best players that could possibly be doing this with them, they are family through and through. I think that this must then be it for the band.
That said, I cannot understand why they couldn’t keep the name alive just for the Beacon run each March – I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find the time for that given all that the ABB has done for both of them. Surely, however, it’s not disrespect on their part, I’m sure this decision was taken mutually with the knowledge that Gregg, Butch and Jaimoe have had it and were ready to call it quits after this year.
Sad though…always thought they’d all go out together with this lineup till the very end.
Didn’t want to post this to start making predictions but, in the unlikely event that they do decide to go on without Derek and Warren, I’d vote for Jack Pearson and Dickey. But that’s not going to happen. Best of luck to all of them and we’ll see what the following year brings. Who knows.

Jim January 8, 2014, 21:53:59

Damn. Thanks for the great music and memories. Going to have to make one last pilgrimage to the beacon this year.

Cloudy Knight January 8, 2014, 22:13:39

Think Oteil is saying WTF right about now. Didn’t he just turn down a job with Zac Brown?

Debbie Downer January 8, 2014, 22:15:51

So I guess Oteil really is leaving. At least we got to the bottom of that debacle

KB January 8, 2014, 22:40:51

The Allman Brothers were the band that changed my life. After that first show, I couldn’t get enough. I guess I’ve seen them around 75 times or so, and they never ceased to blow me away with every and all lineup I saw. Thanks for all of the memories and great times…now give Jack Pearson and Dickey a call and let’s keep this beast rolling.

King Rhino January 8, 2014, 23:13:18

45 years is a motherfucker of a run. Good on ya, Gregg.

Matt S. January 8, 2014, 23:26:05

This has to be some drama with Gregg… First the Oteil thing now this?? There’s something strange afoot…

mulebyrd January 9, 2014, 00:05:25

wow. best get my butt to wanee and the beacon. love thiese guys no matter what.

mulebyrd January 9, 2014, 00:17:03

*these

mulebyrd January 9, 2014, 00:17:57

dang that editor

MarZaPhiGar January 9, 2014, 00:30:57

Whenever I got to see the (current) ABB, I would always spend most of the show transfixed by WATCHING DT work…amazing…

Henry Knox January 9, 2014, 05:16:06

I saw it coming after a recent online interview (forget where now) with Derek Trucks in which he implied he would like to see The ABB go out on a high note after being founded 45 years ago. Not surprised by Warrens announcement either that he is now leaving for the second time and forever. I would think it is the end of The ABB for good. See you at The Beacon in March one last time.

TF January 9, 2014, 06:32:22

Bring Dickie back!!!

The Road Goes On For 45 Years And That's It January 9, 2014, 08:07:03

No surprise but nonetheless still shocking. How sad that the original members even left the announcement of the end of The Allman Brothers Band for Warren Haynes to deal with. No wonder he’s leaving. Pretty weak guys. Having said that, farewell to one of the greatest bands ever. Thursday is Oh So Sad.

Rick Jones January 9, 2014, 08:21:33

The worst news I have heard in awhile. Knew it would come, but I have a lump in my throat.

Bill Harriman January 9, 2014, 08:46:45

One of the three greatest live bands in rock history with the other two being The Grateful Dead and Phish.
I think Gregg will retire at the end of the year. Maybe we’ll see him from time to time with G and Friends. Wow, so many memories and so many great shows!

Jackie January 9, 2014, 09:55:50

Bring dickey back and get Luther Dickinson, that would kill!!

That sucks January 9, 2014, 10:44:36

This marks Greggs retirement obviously and this is the last year of the Allmans. Thanks guys the Allmans are the roots of this page and the jamscene with the Grateful Dead. You have provided the soundtrack to countless lives and countless memories on stage. Derek and Warren will carry the flame in their own projects, but always be remembered for being part of the cast that had the longest stay with Butch and Gregg. They can run things like an assembly line, but it clearly became Derek and Warren’s show from 2004 on. Thanks for the love and memories fellas.

JC January 9, 2014, 10:59:04

I agree with all that say that ABB is over. They may try to replace Warren and Derek in some initial attempt, but people will not go. I also agree with Matt S. that there is something going on with Gregg. I am not going to say what, but you can read between the lines.

JC January 9, 2014, 11:01:32

I will qualify my statement about replacements not working by saying that Dickey Betts would be a replacement that would work, but we all know that it will not happen.

JP76 January 9, 2014, 11:24:08

Sad news. I hope this is the end of ABB, because it would be damn near impossible at this point to rebuild something anywhere close to being as good as this lineup. Arguably, given the presence of two all-time great guitarists and 15 years to develop as a unit, this might be the best version of the band (or at the very least second only to the original).

DJ Damage January 9, 2014, 12:34:37

DJ “D” has inside news that Gregg Allman will follow his daughter Chastity’s lead and finally make the transition he has been pining to make for the last 30 years. All of the sighns are thee, the mysterious “lost” chapter from his autobiography, the People Magazine Interview, in which he states his love of mumus and the like, the hidden track on his unreleased solo cd, a cover of Urge Overkill’s “Girl, You’ll be a Woman Soon”...and so on. Perhaps he and Cher will team up and do a Vegas style revue (there are several theatres with big gaps in their schedules) or he will take a year off and once adjusted to the “treatments” he will team up with hsi long lost sister and hit the road with the Allman Sisters Band or ASB. Their first single will be “ Travellin’ Womyn”. Whatever happens, DJ “D” is on board! Rock on Noodlers!

Blooby January 9, 2014, 12:34:44

Had to happen sooner or later. Gut reaction is this sucks. After seeing them close to 100 times, I guess it’s time to move on. Maybe they’ll all come out at Xmas Jam in a couple years. Who knows?

jambandguy January 9, 2014, 13:43:46

Does the band read this ya think? If so…thanks, but it sucks. I guess I just selfishly thought it would always be there, that low end groove, a Hammond, 2 of the best shredders, vocals
. Think of it…3 INDIVIDUAL grammy guys AS A BAND.... By FAR the best live band I’ve seen (of many, Dead included) and will miss it. I already go to anything ABB related and will continue..Warren, Mule, TTB, Greg, Burbridges but fuck, this is sad.

jambandguy January 9, 2014, 13:49:12

This is stupid, I feel like a teenage girl as a boy band breaks up. Actually wiping a tear…WTF. hard to explain the importance

Clive Bigsby January 9, 2014, 14:07:29

This news isn’t surprising. It’s time for TTB and Mule to be top priority for these guys. And hopefully the Warren Haynes Band. Gregg still has is Gregg and Friends…but it’s better to burn out than fade away.

spikenyc January 9, 2014, 14:32:04

This is all a setup for 2015 “ABB Reunion Shows”. Mule and TTB have been the priority for both Warren and Derek the last few years. ABB has become more of a side project for them. They will break up for a few months then announce the “special reunion” shows. Then charge us big dollars to see it!

OBR January 9, 2014, 15:29:16

It is time for TTB to take this music into the next generation. Let’s see residencies, two-set shows, guests… all from a huge killer band that is on a roll.

Walter Sobchak January 9, 2014, 16:16:27

Also a very smart marketing ploy to make the announcements just a couple of days before the Beacon run tickets go on sale tomorrow the 10th

MarZaPhiGar January 9, 2014, 17:59:04

How ‘bout a Duane hologram?

fltacks January 9, 2014, 20:52:20

Wow, was on Jam Cruise watching Warren the day of the press release, and not a word from him or anyone else.

Slide January 14, 2014, 14:53:57

Thanks for the best memories and music. There are none higher. The trifecta that will be emblazoned in the history of Rock Music are Derek Trucks, Warren (the beast) Haynes and of course Jimmy Herring. Although a very sad moment, it had to come…..so Thanks. Although Wannee has been over prices and should be ashamed of their money gouging practices, I’m glad I’m going to Wannee now fo rsure. This will be the end. There are no replacments for this tandem…none. Glad they will go out with class.

bluesky January 18, 2014, 16:18:16

To quote George Harrison “ all things must pass”.

Murf February 8, 2014, 22:06:56

I’m hoping they go the route of the grateful dead. Rotating family related members uniting w/different line ups for each year or tour. This would allow for shows without greg (when health is poor) as well as using other family members to sit in on guitar playing ABB songs. Hope they carry on in the tradition of the Dead.

Michael Kors Outlet April 12, 2014, 23:34:01

and were spotted by neighbor Roberta Weisbrod,m.” remembered Clanceys mother, Ark. afforded her few opportunities to master the faster-paced style so often found in folk musicUndeterred Clancey and her mother packed up and moved three and a half hours north to Mountain View Ark: the “Folk Music Capitol of the World“An awe-inspiring experienceSoon after settling in Mountain View Clancey found a fiddle instructor and discovered a music education program that teaches 4th through 8th graders the fundamentals of folk music Kids are given free instruments such as banjos autoharps and mandolins along with weekly lessons on how to play them Locally home-schooled children — like Clancey — are also invited to participate at the school sessionsThe programs advanced students are generally invited to join the ensemble group which takes their folk music training to the next level by performing at local venues and recording CDsClancey thrived in Music Roots and was asked by her instructor to help assist with teaching the other students As she and her mother hoped Mountain View was cultivating her musical talent Unexpectedly it was also nurturing her young soul“It was an awe-inspiring experience seeing everybody playing music and being so welcoming” Clancey said of Music Roots “Helping the kids and seeing people opening their hearts and homes and their talents up to help me“A musical tradition beginsSettlers first took root in Mountain View after the Civil War bringing with them the rich acoustic folk music that reverberates within the region today Day and night townspeople of all ages congregate on porches and in grass lots where they “pick and grin” until bedtimeDanny Thomas a former school superintendent started the “Music Roots” program in the 1990s to pass down the towns treasured historical legacy preserved in the musical traditions of their ancestors“Our forefathers who lived in this isolated remote area in the mountains made a lot of sacrifices to make life better for their children” Thomas said “A lot of the stories that took place here are told in the songs and the music“In the 1960s Thomas and his neighbors met regularly at the courthouse in the epicenter of Mountain View where theyd jam into the night echoing the heartfelt acoustic melodies of their forefathers and improvising new ones Music was embedded in the towns culture fueling the preservation of its rich history while solidifying the towns unique communal bond that has lasted more than a century“The kids and the old-timers we knew the same songs we played the same instruments we had a good time together” Thomas said’Every child is motivated by something different’Music Roots a joint effort of the Mountain View Public School System and the is supported in part by grant funding but largely by the hospitality of the towns residentsShay and Scott Pool own the music store on the town square where they fix students broken instruments for free And when time permits they build new instruments from scratch Shay teaches Music Roots in the school once a week and provides two additional days of free lessons at her store for those interested a conditional gesture“I’ll say ‘here’s your song for the week go home and learn it” Shay said “‘If you don’t learn it when you come back next week you owe me for the lesson’ But if they learn it then they dont have to pay me for the lessons“More than 1000 kids have matriculated at Music Roots since its inception and everyone has completed the program at varying levels of mastery The Pools son Lukas an alumna of Music Roots earned a full scholarship to attend the prestigious Berklee College of Music in BostonThe Cobb brothers also program alumni have made a name for themselves on the Bluegrass circuit — along with Clancey who has begun to live out her dream too Now 14 years old she tours across the country with her band “Clancey and the Ragtags” whom she found in Mountain View Sometimes she also performs as a solo act“Every child is motivated by something different” Shay said “Some are motivated by just the joy of playing And others are motivated by a possible performance or down the road instead of working in a local food joint they can play music and make money“Regardless of why kids choose to participate Thomas said hes glad Music Roots is keeping the communitys legacy alive among those poised to carry Mountain View into the future“It makes me feel good that [the young people] haven’t forgotten their heritage” Thomas said “And that they know that people before them had some wonderful things to tell in their music“To learn more about Music Roots please visit the website the charity for troubled children that Sandusky founded.The confirmation of the subpoena by Penn State is the first concrete sign that the federal criminal investigation has already begun. Earl Ray Tomblin said he will work with his environmental agency chief on tightening regulation of chemical storage facilities in the current legislative session. It’s frustrating. did not say who I was, wrong and right ― like Kerick did.
Michael Kors Outlet http://es.michaelkorsoutlet.ptihk.com/