Published: 2014/01/09

Derek Trucks Talks Possible Dickey Betts Reunion

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi appear on the current cover of Relix. The accompanying story written by editor Dean Budnick focuses on the development of the Tedeschi Trucks Band. In the piece Trucks also discusses the Tedeschi Trucks Band show from this past September 21 in which founding Allman Brothers Band member Dickey Betts, who left the ABB in 2000, returned to the stage at the Beacon Theatre with the TTB. “I’ve seen a lot of moments at the Beacon,” Trucks reflects. “I think I’ve been there for 170 shows and that one had a unique feel because it was pretty unexpected. When Clapton played with the Allman Brothers, everyone already knew—the word had gotten out. It was still an amazing moment when he stepped out onstage, however, it wasn’t a shock. But when Dickey came out, you could tell it meant something. The thing I enjoyed about it is that it wasn’t lost on anybody. It was some sort of bridge, some kind of minor healing to the whole saga. That, to me, was the point of it.”

Trucks’ thoughts on the possible reunion have now been posted to Relix.com. As previously reported, both Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes announced that they will leave The Allman Brothers Band at the end of 2014 last night. Their announcement could lead to a possible onstage reunion with Betts if the band decides to include him in an upcoming 45th anniversary retrospective.

Comments

Mary Maker January 9, 2014, 14:41:55

70 year old Dickey will kick Butch Trucks butt live on stage before a final encore of a tear jerking “Ramblin Man”.

Tellsemlikeismellsem!!!! January 9, 2014, 15:55:31

They are talking about Derek trucks. At no point is butch even mentioned^

MT January 9, 2014, 16:26:56

I have been following these guys for years, and personally, I would love to see a reunion with DB. At some point, you have to realize that life is too short to carry grudges or lose friends. If The ABB is truly about “brotherhood,” then they should consider again extending an olive branch

todd January 9, 2014, 16:53:24

Why would anyone who loves Dickey want to see him used like that? It sure as heck would not be about brotherhood. All this dopey stuff about losing friends, you believe if Dickey came back it would be about friendship? I got a bridge I can sell you if you do.

me January 9, 2014, 17:22:27

Ummm… I think you peops are jumping to conclusions here… While it’s nice that DT sees DB jamming with the TTB as some type of bridge that might reach over troubled waters… that is still a far cry from DB reuniting with the ABB, even if there will be vacancies in the 2 guitar (maybe 3?) slots. Even if it did happen, that better be 1 strong bridge because I can’t help but feel there will be some steam blown off, in the form of fisticuffs, sooner or later!

Dickey fan January 9, 2014, 19:23:47

I love dickey. LOVE dickey. That beacon ttb show with him is terrible. Look it up on you tube if you don’t believe me. He is wat too roughed up to tour with ABB anymore. Would love to see him sober up and do it. But I’m not crossing my fingers…

Grey Sky January 9, 2014, 20:40:26

I think whatever Derek said was blessed from the top before he said it. Allman Brother management are laying the groundwork for Dickey’s return for the 45th tour. Let’s just hope that Dickey takes care of himself enough to lay down some sick stuff.

pm January 9, 2014, 22:11:40

Derek should talk reunion wit the the Derek Trucks Band.

jeff Nielsen January 10, 2014, 04:44:45

You love dickie? Sorry. I know not a whole lot about the history of the Allman Bothers Band other than I lived in the south when Brothers and Sisters came out. Have always liked the music. I discovered(acronym)because of the thin connection with Larkin Poe. The first UT vid I saw was the great, If you believe in me, like I believe in you,hooo(I know,I know keep the day job). I’m a fan now. Dickie Betts, ahh, I don’t know anything about that, just hope it’s as much fun as what I’ve seen so far. End of story.

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!! January 10, 2014, 13:08:59

dickey forgave Greg for being a Narc in 1976 which is totally beyond me…. i would have walked for good then….. Click and paste: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/gregg-allman-allmans-breakup/

daddylegba January 10, 2014, 15:52:48

Since Warren and Derk are leaving the ABB, I heard Dickey and Jack Pearson are coming back. That is what Warren’s guitar tech told me.

Winston O'Day January 11, 2014, 09:13:07

The road does go on forever, but human being’s don’t. Forty five years is a long time and The ABB have just about reached the end of that road.

don armstrong January 14, 2014, 22:14:29

Let’s hope it happens, some great music should come out of it!

Benjamin Neal January 14, 2014, 22:35:55

I highly doubt Dickie will return in any type of permanent capacity. He’d have to seriously clean up his act and chops. Check his latest performance with Derek on YouTube. Its doubtful, old dog and new tricks and what not. As far as Jack Pearson, he voluntarily left the band 15 years ago due to tinnitus. He filled in occasionally, but again, I doubt a permanent spot. If the stars align properly and this lineup would be possible, I’d be the first line for tickets.

Mike B January 16, 2014, 01:25:18

If Jack returned, that would be an awesome thing. He’s a phenomenal player and he tore it up with them. Hard to imagine Dickey back. From the bits and pieces I hear, he’s only intermittently sober and I can’t imagine the band putting up with that crap any more. I think they’d sooner hang it up rather than be musically inconsistent. The era with Warren, Derek and Oteil has been incredibly fruitful for them, some of the best music they’ve ever made and I don’t think the remainder of the band could handle anything less than excellence.

Allman Bros January 17, 2014, 17:09:19

There is absolutely no chance this will happen!!

Wade Tatangelo January 18, 2014, 02:25:31

Interview I did with Derek Trucks day before big ABB announcement. He really wants Betts with ABB at Beacon. He’d also like to record one more ABB album:

Luca February 14, 2014, 05:59:25

The result is a slower metabolism and fats proliferation due to improper conversion of food to energy. Oh yeah- especially since I feel very energized throughout the day even if I only get 5 hours of sleep the night before.
Luca http://v3dietpill.com/diet-pills-that-work-review/

Elane February 22, 2014, 04:54:37

Random searches are scattered and have varying and generally dissapointing success. When you are finished customizing the template, you can save it to your computer by clicking the Save icon.
Elane http://ronscoupons.com

source March 20, 2014, 03:50:47

Chop the onion, eggplant, and garlic and cook in a little vegetable stock until lightly browned. Nine roasted peanuts contains 50 calories, and when chopped into small pieces they’ll go a long way.
source http://bit.ly/1knmRRG