Published: 2014/01/10

Phil Lesh’s Grandson Named After Levon Helm

Photo by Marc Millman

Levon Helm played an important role in the lives of Phil Lesh and his family. Beyond the music that The Band drummer created over the years, Lesh told Relix that the idea for his current restaurant and performance venue, Terrapin Crossroads originated “when my sons and I played Levon’s Ramble up in Woodstock, N.Y., [in 2010]. It was such a magical day and we came away with a strong desire to do something like that at home.” So it is altogether fitting that the name of his first grandchild honors Helm. Phil’s son Brian has just become the father of Levon Lesh. One expects that young Levon will do his share of rambling in the days to come.

Comments

Joe January 10, 2014, 14:31:07

How is this even news? Who cares about the talentless Lesh kids. How long till you pull my comment. Can’t have anything bad about the Lesh’s on this site. In related news, Phil Leah had breakfast today, it included food and juice.

Relax January 10, 2014, 15:16:25

Hey Now. Bitter Joe needs a little nap.

ratdogfreak January 10, 2014, 15:26:59

Talentless Lesh kids? Sounds like to words of someone who has never heard them play. Brian’s American Jubilee is one of the most fun up and coming live bands i’ve seen in a long time.

toaddio January 10, 2014, 15:42:49

Whatever ratdogfreak. Go back to the twitters! ;) PS Joe: Go eat some oatmeal. I think your diet needs more fiber.

Joe January 10, 2014, 15:43:06

I have seen the Lesh kids and they are on par with a college bar band at best. Not bitter, just calling it like I see it. American Jubilee is just a bar band who has yet to create a style that is not a rip off of dead/green/and adams.

Miles January 10, 2014, 16:34:36

Hey Joe, Shut your fucking mouth you piece of shit. That is All

Why oh Why January 10, 2014, 16:39:09

Hey Jambands editors…so it seems like you should now post news for each individual reader of your site to be sure that they only encounter the bands and music that meet their personal approval. And it is so unfair that your readers are FORCED to click on a link for a band or artist whom they do not like and forced them to read and comment on those artists they disapprove of. I mean geez…you guys don’t think you have any actual what they used to call “editorial freedom” do you?!?

MarZaPhiGar January 10, 2014, 16:44:47

Congratulations on the creation of a new life in the Dead Family, Brian & Phil, and I bet Levon’s namesake would be very touched by your gesture.

me January 10, 2014, 17:11:45

@Joe… so, instead of skipping the article, you read it and bitch? While it may not be news to you, it takes about 3 brain cells to figure out that it will be news to many, many people who would read articles on this site. Like you, I really don’t find it to be much news since I’m not a Deadhead, although I love Levon and was curious as to if the kid was actually Levon Lesh since it has a funny ring to it, so I read the article… even though, to me, it seemed not very newsworthy… luckily, I still have 3 brain cells… one last note, it probably only takes about 2 brain cells to skip articles that you have no interest in… so, if I were you, I’d be really careful when deciding what to do this weekend, you are running dangerously low!

NKP January 10, 2014, 19:07:19

No one says you have to read every story posted on this site. Phil and Levon are/were huge parts of this scene, and this is a good, positive story relevant to them, and some of us love them both hugely. If dont give a shit about them, don’t click the links to stories about them. Its that simple. Stop bitching.

Ron January 10, 2014, 20:39:14

Congrats bro!

Phish sucks January 11, 2014, 02:19:18

Oh wait, sorry, wrong article.

Olddocp January 11, 2014, 11:00:57

Congrats to Brian, Phil and family! What a great tribute to a fine musician. We had the great privilege of seeing and meeting Brian and Grahme last February at Terrapin Crossroads. Phil is rightfully proud of these fellers; I’m so happy to see, hear, and meet those to whom the torch has been passed!

Reginald Dwight January 11, 2014, 12:54:40

I am glad to hear that Phil Lesh is a grandfather. My musical collaborator, Bernie T. and I wrote a song called Levon, many years ago. I wish that the younger Mr. Lesh had used our song as inspration for naming this child. I hope that this child is healthy and happy. God Bless.
E.J.

Cloudy Knight January 11, 2014, 17:06:45

Joe is a huge douche. The end.

carolinaphil January 11, 2014, 18:44:09

Great musician = Phil Lesh
Great bass player = Phil Lesh
Great husband = Phil Lesh
Great father. = Phil Lesh
Great grandfather = Phil Lesh Any questions? = Phil Lesh carolinaphil

randy floyd January 13, 2014, 07:59:16

dear jambands, can you please edit out the comments where people b1tch and moan and curse at each other? bad vibes make me sad and angry

rob January 13, 2014, 16:07:30

congrats to phil and the family on your new addition. with that said, if my dad was phil lesh I’d have a much better band than anything those kids are doing.

Todo list January 15, 2014, 23:01:08

The Lesh boys have a natural interest in music given their father’s place in music history. You know, the Dead were a pizza parlor band at Mcgoos pizza in SF when they were the Lesh boys’ age. They were a raggedy bar band before they were anything. That is the way most talent originates from where it becomes something truly talented over time. Aren’t the Lesh boys like 23? I was at Phil’s 50th bday show in Landover 1990 and in Expo when his kids were born that year. It’s cool they are a musical family and his kids will probably successful like Dylan’s son, Julian Lennon and Liza Manelli for that matter who was the Daughter of Julie Garland. Talent is often hereditary. Just look at Jerry’ dad who was apparently, a very talented jug band player and folk artist. So let’s not bash the Lesh boys for crying out loud. they have their whole lives ahead of them and are having fun with their dad. If you are not a dad, maybe you don’t get it.

Joe jr January 16, 2014, 09:53:42

Joe I understand what yur sayin’, but I think it has to do with Levon’s memory and Phil. Not his kid. It’s news or gossip for the Dead circle. Nothing else. And btw Phil had Captain Crunch and coffee for breakfast!

digitalrbb January 16, 2014, 13:17:48

C’mon – Phil and the Grateful Dead were talented beyond belief – anything since then has been blah – and as far as the kids go – they have no talent and if it were not for Phil and Jill using their money and power to get them (the kids) gigs, they would never on their own. SO call it truthful and get out of layla land. WE all loved the Grateful Dead and the music and magic died with Jerry. And as far as Phil goes, when Jerry died everyone congregated at Weirs except phil and jill who went to the offices and took the corporations books. I heard it straight from Ram Rod who was president at GDP at the time and responsible for the books. And when Ram Rod died every band member and roadie past and current were at his house celebrating his life except who = that’s right Phil – how do I know, I was there. SO live in your Phil world who forgets he was ever in the Grateful Dead and would be no one without Garcia and remains in his own mind that Phil and Friends are the greatest band he has ever had the pleasure to play with. He Phil, stop hiding all that pot you’er smoking on that new liver and get clean about it – isn’t that what you were angry at garcia for. Take that for some honestly

phil January 16, 2014, 21:46:05

yikes! Phil has brought us the best music in post-Jerry years. If you don’t like how his kids play, don’t go. Hurtful comments are just so inappropriate. Getting everyone together and bringing the music to the people (us) is a noble venture. Everyone wins!! Rock on Phil & Friends & Family!!!!!!!!!

phil January 16, 2014, 21:50:38

“Further“more, i have been to Phil & Friends shows that astronomically surpass any Grateful Dead shows I’ve been to.

Sean January 18, 2014, 07:05:18

Cheers for Levon! Welcome to the most dysfunctional family in America!

dk70 January 21, 2014, 15:41:49

Congrats on the new Lesh addition! P.S.: anyone who would read this post about the miracle of birth and then slam the new dad and his whole family is an abject loooo czar.

Neal kerouacidy January 23, 2014, 15:53:41

In response to the negative attention seeking joe. I look forward to running you over with my tricycle and then I am gonna run you over with my big wheel too. And I want my hot wheels back. Oh, and your mommy called. She said she w as truly ashamed of you and your babified BS. Gonna wash your mouth out with soap.

Jaw all January 23, 2014, 23:25:52

The best Phil show I have have seen including Glens Falls 07 was not even close to worst GD I have seen or heard. They are really just a cover band with really bad vocals. VIP area and for two hundred buck more you get to kiss the ring. Please How much money do you need.

neal kerouacidy January 25, 2014, 13:58:33

The Leshes “serve the music” What do all you whiners do? Oh yeah, sit around and whine.

AcidTestGraduate January 26, 2014, 03:56:59

First congratulations to the Lesh’s is in order. Levon is a fine name.
I can’t say I’ve heard either Brian or Graham play live. I’ll be honest here (it’s always the best policy) I have my reservations as to what I’d expect. On one hand I would expect whoever Phil plays with has the chops, but on the other hand I think it would be hard for dad to tell his sons they’re not good enough. Certainly they’ve had exposure to a lot of instruments lying around, and Dad would make a good teacher. So maybe they’d pleasantly surprise me. Personally I think Phil should make every effort to make the Q the permanent line up for Phil and Friends. Looks like Warren is going to be available. I’m not a Widespread fan, so get Jimmy Herring and if Barraco doesn’t want to leave DSO there’s a good guy named JC who knows the songs. As far as the debate whether Phil and Friends have played better shows than some of the shows the Dead played, I can say some of the Q shows I saw were better than some of the less enjoyable Dead shows I attended. It’s all about the level of musicianship displayed that night, and the set list of course.

brian January 26, 2014, 22:13:24

Seriously, I’m glad Phil Leah had breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day. Without it your brain cannot function and you think you are being witty but just end up looking stupid in front of the whole world. Two weeks, Joe.

For real January 28, 2014, 23:25:17

Soo… But to those that say the music after Jerry is …. Dare I say better… Gues you never got it… Never got to the warfield did you…. Main cog of the machine…....please stop talking about q, dso …... Blah…. Nothing compared to the real deal… You ever see Brent and jer …... Out

Stevo February 1, 2014, 17:16:48

There’s always going to be burnouts like Joe and digitalrbb- recent shows with Phil and Terrapin Family Band have been really hot and worthwhile. Never before had a chance to see Phil up so close and personal- like at NYC’s Sullivan Hall and the yacht Infinity. I would even go see them without Phil any day of the week. Brian and Graeme are really coming into their own, and eventually the ratio of covers to originals will flip the other way.

4VRGRTFL Bill Willis Goshen, New York February 1, 2014, 23:01:52

Congratulations to you Brian Lesh,God Bless Levon Lesh.God Bless Your whole family,immediate and the rest of us for that is what we are.Those of us with the Love of the GRATEFUL DEAD still in our Hearts.Not fade away.Caught you guys at Terrapin Crossroads around 10/24,25,26/13,it was one of those nights.I was in Heaven.I Love all you brothers and sisters .WE had a Grate time as usual.Don’t we always.Thank You all so very much.I am 4VRGRTFL,Bill Willis of Goshen,N.Y P.S.Larry and Linda if you read this please get in touch with me. Love Billy

Someone who is not Ross James February 2, 2014, 13:54:32

First of all, congratulations to Brian, Kiara, Phil, Jill and Levon. It really is an unbroken chain, isn’t it. Secondly, for anyone to come on here and denigrate the family of the man we all called, and still call “Brother”, is amazingly stupid and thoughtless. Third, anyone who thinks the music went downhill after Jerry died should listen to 31/12/2000 at the Kaiser. Best concert I ever saw, hands down. Once again, thanks to the whole (extended) family. And welcome little Levon…

scarlet March 10, 2014, 00:41:27

hmmm… interesting that they make no mention of baby Levon’s mother. Who might she be? Not worthy of a mention? Classic. How about- “jambands would like to congratulate Phil Lesh and his wife Jill on becoming grandparents! Phil’s son Brian Lesh and his (wife? girlfriend? neighbor? fan? friend? surrogate????) _________ became the proud parents of a baby son and named him in honor of Levon Helm. Lets all send our good wishes to the newest member of the Grateful Dead Family”. Crikey. You guys need better copy writers.